Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I haven't started vaping yet (Am anxiously awaiting my supplies to arrive!).

Questions:

1. Will I gain weight like I did when I stopped smoking without e-cigs?
2. Do you get nicotine fits and depression and want to go back to smoking? Or does the nicotine in the e-cigs take care of that?

Thanks for your replies!
Sandy

Tersur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Bfe Kentucky
Some will gain some weight cause you can taste food better after switching. Most will not. the weight gain is generaly associated with eating more to satisfy the oral motion ex smokers still have. The vape will take care of that. Myself i load a cookie or cake flavor when i have the urge to snack and actually snack less now. You may find the first few days you dont get the full effect from the vape nicotine. Some its too much. after your lungs clear a bit you will absorb the Vapor nic much easyer.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Questions:

2. Do you get nicotine fits and depression and want to go back to smoking? Or does the nicotine in the e-cigs take care of that?

Thanks for your replies!
Sandy

Hi,
Most members, like myself, have lost weight vaping.....something about all the great flavors makes your body think it is the same as eating it...??
The nic in the ecig replaces the nic in analogs and therefore you should not crave cigs. if you still do, then your nic intake is not hight enuff and you may want to consider a hight nic level..
:)

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
1. I did not gain weight when I started vaping. Believe me, it was a big concern of mine because it took me forever to lose the 25 lbs I gained when I tried to quit smoking.

2. I have no nicotine fits at all. I just vaped my little heart out. I didn't actually 'try' to quit. When I started vaping I realized it was possible so I slowly gave up the cigs.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
This is awesome to hear! The first time I quit smoking (from July 2001 to May 2011!!!) I gained 35 pounds and had a hard time quitting. I guess this time will be easier because a) I only smoke 1/2 pack a day -- have only been smoking again less than 6 months! and b) There won't be a nicotine withdrawl. Hallelujah!

I am also taking Phentermine to lose weight, but it has started to lose its effectiveness, so I may have to stop taking it for awhile.
Sandy

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
This is awesome to hear! The first time I quit smoking (from July 2001 to May 2011!!!) I gained 35 pounds and had a hard time quitting. I guess this time will be easier because a) I only smoke 1/2 pack a day -- have only been smoking again less than 6 months! and b) There won't be a nicotine withdrawl. Hallelujah!

I am also taking Phentermine to lose weight, but it has started to lose its effectiveness, so I may have to stop taking it for awhile.
Sandy

Once you get off the cigs you're going to feel so much better about yourself. I bet losing weight and even working out will be so much easier. I used to think 'why should I try to get healthy, I smoke'. Once you vape and quit the cigs you'll feel better better mentally and physically. I know I do. Smoking really does a number on your self-esteem.

Amutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2010
Oregon
Weight Gain

I didn't have any problems with weight gain. I would imagine a significant part of that traditionally quitting is

1. the hand to mouth interaction which you are still getting with ecigs
2. In researching quitting in the past I've found several mentions of Nicotine causing the body to release sugar stores and that when you quit your blood sugar levels plummet until your body can adjust to doing it on your own thus causing a "sweet tooth" and sugar cravings which would contribute to weight gain.

With ecigs you will be able to initially switch while maintaining your nicotine levels and then gradually step down from there if that's your desire and avoid that issue as well.

It can take a bit finding the right vape "experience" (equipment/juice/nicotine levels) but as far as the switching from regular cig process I didn't find it bad at all.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
I gained 20 pounds last time i quit for a year and a half -- ugh! I just constantly snacked to have something to do with my hands! Since vaping I havent gained anything and I wasnt really trying real hard to quit when i started. I thought it was a pretty cool idea so i bought a set up and after using it the cigarettes tasted so nasty that i just didnt want them anymore.

Pepe Le Vapse

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
St Louis MO
I have actually lost around 25 lbs. Granted food tastes better but I have found that when i get a sweet crave I will vape some sweet juice and it takes care of the craving. A sweet juice and a bottle of water work great for me.
Feeling so much better and getting into pants I haven't worn in 3 yrs plus getting off the nasties, e-cigs are the best invention since peanut butter...:)

Depending on how much of a smoker you were will depend on the nic strength. I was a 2.5 packer a day and started with 18mg of nic. I am now down to 12mg. however when im on a mega vapefest i use 6mg to keep from getting overloaded and wired :D

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Questions:

Thanks for your replies!
Sandy

As long as you have sufficient nicotine you shouldn't have a problem as Nicotine is an appetite suppressant/ stimulant. Myself I gained a couple of lbs but decided to start exercising as part of my routine to do more things rather than just sit and vape. Funny thing I don't miss the vape as much as I missed an analog when I'm busy with something. The first 10- 14 days were a little tense but nothing terrible. I still get thoughts of an analog for a few seconds and I just vape the thought away. Scientists say it takes 6- 12 months for the brain to become "deprogrammed" from analogs. My weight gain may have been from the fact I was "over hydrating" myself. My wife also has to be deprogrammed from analogs as today she was looking for ashtrays to wash and then realized I put them all in the garage.

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have gained about 15-20 lbs in the last 10 months of vaping but it was NOT due to the vaping. It was due 100% to poor diet due to my increased workload (lots of fast food and crap) and an elevated alcohol intake (due to the stress of the workload).

I don't have nic fits at all and have actually reduced my nic levels significantly since I started. My first liquid was 24mg and I am now DIY at around 5mg. I feel great and seriously never have fits at all.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
These are great replies! I think I am going to get some lower mg. juice in case I want to have a vape fest! Good idea. Also, maybe getting some of the sweet dessert juices will be a good idea. I have a real sweet tooth!

Good idea. Some Vets recommend a lower nic in the evening so sleeping isn't a problem because the nic is a stimulant.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana

I lost 10 lbs. My guess for why would be 1) I didn't give up the mechanics of smoking, or the nicotine, so I felt no compulsion to "graze" and snack the way I have the other times I quit smoking, and 2) I found I prefer dessert-type flavors, and I know load on a Raspberry Truffle carto, rather than open a box of chocolates.

Nicotine isn't the only (not by a long shot) addictive thing in cigarettes. Yes, I had withdrawal symptoms. They weren't as bad as the other times I quit, and they didn't last as long, and I was able to vape my way through them. I didn't expect to, so they hit me unprepared. I could have gone back to smoking, but I'd made a commitment to myself to give it a week (I was on business travel at the time). At the end of the week, when I got back home, I lit up a cigarette and just about puked. It tasted absolutely disgusting. I've been vaping since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread