The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Weirdest thing ever. Dual coil story.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by provoked, Aug 18, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. provoked

provoked Full Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    So I was vaping on my dual coil carto today on my way to work and all the sudden... something happened. I was sure at first but it just felt weird. Reduced flavor, vapor, and just didn't seem right. So on my lunch I just used my provari to meter the carto. Turns out it came in at 3.3 ohms. It would appear that one of the coils died.

Has anyone else had this happen? I have been using dual coils for awhile and haven't had any issues like this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

2. goodtimes

goodtimes Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2011
    OKC
    I thought they were hooked up in series such that if one went out the other wouldn't fire either? Weird...

3. Xenetic

Xenetic Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 17, 2010
    MS USA
    Coils in series would only add to the resistance, making it a 6ohm carto. The coils are in parallel, which cuts the resistance in half.

4. goodtimes

goodtimes Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2011
    OKC
    Well duh! I guess that makes sense... :blush:

5. provoked

provoked Full Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I thought there would be something that would stop it from firing too. Thank god it didn't because I didn't have an extra carto today to us I just pumped up the old provari and am vaping it at 5v lol.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

6. Drak

Drak Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    Do a search on dual coils here, there are several threads that talk about one of the coils burning out, someone said in one thread that it happens quite commonly to one coil, and most dual coils are operating on one coil for the majority of their useful lives...don't know if it's true or not...

7. Eddie.Willers

Eddie.Willers ECF Wiki SysOp Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 3, 2011
    Prairie Canada
    I have had it happen a few times - usually after cleaning!
    :vapor:

8. Pamdane

Pamdane Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Cleveland area, Ohio
    Its happened to me to. When the 2nd coil goes, its a regular carto. Still vapable. Use it on the mod. Its fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.