Welcome to the new forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hello everybody, I trust you are well and e-smoking is good!

So, the new forum is now up and running. You will need to change your bookmarks to www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum

I do anticipate that there will be some problems - I have tried my best to ensure that everything is taken care of, but the law of sod dictates that I will have missed something.

The first problem that I am aware of is that it was not possible to import the avatar and signature settings. I'm very sorry but you will have to

So, firstly let me tell you about the new features.

1. We now have a social groups system. This has been installed in recognition of the fact that this is an international forum, and that some users would like to have areas in which they can narrow things down geographically.

I would, therefore, encourage anyone who wishes so to create a social group that they think others might be interested in joining. It doesn't have to be based on geographical locations, it could be anything! People interested in modifying their e-cigs, for instance.

Here's the clever bit: Once the group has 5 members, a new forum can be created in the community section. Only members of that social group can post in the relevant forum but, if set to public, anyone can see it.

2. Tags. Tags are simple keywords that are relevant to the post. They are set when the post is written and can be added to by anyone responding.

Tags show up in the "Tag Cloud" on the front page of the site and offer a simple visual representation of the popular terms. Please use these as it will make a real difference to those new to the forum.

3. Spam management. New users are not able to post links until they have made 15 posts.

4. RSS subscription. Users can subscribe to individual forums by using the RSS button found next to each forum link on the home page.

5. All sorts of other things that vBulletin has included that PHPBB does not. Too many to list, but if you have any questions at all, please post them in the "Forum Help & Testing Area" forum.

Things yet to be done:

1. Community live chat.
2. The black and blue style isn't aesthetically pleasing enough. Will edit it some more.
3. Anything else that is suggested that I've either forgotten to do or is requested and sounds like a good idea!
4. Blogs feature
5. E-cig-wiki

bishybob

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Arizona, USA
I like the new forum a lot.

It will also make it a lot more familiar if you go into your user settings and change the theme. I changed it to a darker one and it feels much more at home...

I had to reset my password to be able to log in...

Also, if there is some way to get the smiley icons working they aren't displaying in any of the posts.

Good job!

W

Wonder Woman

The old site page has the wrong URL in New forum at.... The ".com" is missing.

I was unable to login, tried using two different browsers. Had to register again. I hope to be able to continue with my regular id.
Yes jamie. That along with the fact that the members list has not been imported.
The new board wouldn't recognize me.
I had to create a new ID.
I was trying everything last nite including sending messages to web master/admin.
I was so frustrated and annoyed.
I feel so sorry for all our members that can't get on for the same reasons!

I try to send SJ a PM but I read their were problems with that also.

jamie2

Jul 2, 2008
I am having trouble finding out how to find the list of topics that I have posted in, you used to just hit a button that said soemthing like view your posts or soemthing to that nature, anyone know how you do that now?
I think you have to go into UserCP, Edit Options, Default Thread Subscription Mode (change to No Email Notification). Then you will become subscribed to all the topics in which you post. Then if you go to Quick Links, Subscribed Threads, you can list those topics.

Ilyanna

Jun 22, 2008
Assaria, KS, USA
Had a similar problem.

Site would not let me log in, then would not let me register under my old login either. I found having the site send me a new password and then changing it back to the old one worked. It seems the password did not take, I know I was using the correct pw however as I had it written down. So might try just changing the password as well.

Ilyanna

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
is threre anyway to make the thread sizes less wide? Gotta scroll each post ot read each line each time- and yeah- it would be great if we could click on a link that hsows all the posts we've done- that was very handy keeping track of wht threads and where we posted on instread of hasving to look htrough all the threads manually

Last edited:
W

Wonder Woman

is threre anyway to make the thread sizes less wide? Gotta scroll each post ot read each line each time- and yeah- it would be great if we could click on a link that hsows all the posts we've done- that was very handy keeping track of wht threads and where we posted on instread of hasving to look htrough all the threads manually
Naz,
I think the best way to handle that is tweaking your own PC, ie, change size of fonts used in your browser, change zoom level, change resolution.

You might try going to your Thread Display Options and play with the Thread Display Mode - but doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread