Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    OKay, I give.

When they enacted rule sets they specified that products that were invented, marketed and sold before date 'x' (I don't recall the exact date but it was somewhere 2008-2012) was 'grandfathered' and anything 'new' that was invented, marketed and sold after that date had to be approved by a PMTA process. At the time any new products sold after date 'y' had to be approved.

The date ('y') for the enactment has changed a number of times over the years. While it is 2022 now, this all started in 2012-2014 time frame with the
    original date 'y' being in that time frame. Obviously it has been pushed out a number of times.

There have been a number of 'drop dead' dates where the vaping public expected all vaping devices and related stuff to be not purchasable. While these dates have come and gone, many of us 'stock piled' a lifetime of gear and supplies in preparation of the upcoming ban.

It would appear that 'juul' is just the first target.

The 'hope' is that for those that don't have a stock pile, that at least 1 or more products will get approved that would be available and open the door to the possibility that other companies could 'leverage' the approved product(s) and simply denote the differences of their product and the approved one(s), thereby possibly simplifying the process and reducing costs.

This site and likely others have 100's of threads on the entire sorted affair.

g.

Reactions: MLEJ

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Where's the "grandfather" provision in the regs allowing cigarettes to exist and vape to cease existence?
    I believe it's in the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009. Even Wikipedia admits that this law is sometimes referred to as the "Marlboro Protection Act".
    The Tobacco Control Act has been called "the Marlboro Protection Act" because it grandfathered in tobacco products marketed before 2007, while erecting nearly impassable financial and regulatory barriers for the introduction of competing products to the US market.
    Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - Wikipedia

• Agree
    Reactions: MLEJ and Izan

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    How can Juul be banned when cigarettes are not?
    There should be a prize for who ever can answer this question.
    Easy: existing products are "grandfathered"
    The law giving FDA regulatory authority over tobacco products -- the
    Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009
    --
    specifically forbids FDA from banning cigarettes.
    FDA's regs include the grandfathered provision.
    No vapor product extant has been around long enough to have been grandfathered.
    A new cigarettes brand or brand extension would have to go through the PMTA process.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Folks, as I said above, "I give".

When they enacted rule sets they specified that products that were invented, marketed and sold before date 'x' (I don't recall the exact date but it was somewhere 2008-2012) was 'grandfathered' and anything 'new' that was invented, marketed and sold after that date had to be approved by a PMTA process. At the time any new products sold after date 'y' had to be approved.

The date ('y') for the enactment has changed a number of times over the years. While it is 2022 now, this all started in 2012-2014 time frame with the
    original date 'y' being in that time frame. Obviously it has been pushed out a number of times.

There have been a number of 'drop dead' dates where the vaping public expected all vaping devices and related stuff to be not purchasable. While these dates have come and gone, many of us 'stock piled' a lifetime of gear and supplies in preparation of the upcoming ban.

It would appear that 'juul' is just the first target.

The 'hope' is that for those that don't have a stock pile, that at least 1 or more products will get approved that would be available and open the door to the possibility that other companies could 'leverage' the approved product(s) and simply denote the differences of their product and the approved one(s), thereby possibly simplifying the process and reducing costs.

This site and likely others have 100's of threads on the entire sorted affair.

g.

I believe it's in the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009. Even Wikipedia admits that this law is sometimes referred to as the "Marlboro Protection Act".

Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act - Wikipedia

The law giving FDA regulatory authority over tobacco products -- the
    --
    specifically forbids FDA from banning cigarettes.
    FDA's regs include the grandfathered provision.
    No vapor product extant has been around long enough to have been grandfathered.
    A new cigarettes brand or brand extension would have to go through the PMTA process.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread