Juggernaut666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
Dallas Tx.
Rigs.
1. Stingray X w with copper tobh, 26g 6 wrap dual sleeper coil. .8 ohm, rayon

2. Nemesis with stillare, 24g 6 wraps dual coils separate. .4 ohm, cotton

Both hit well, but cloud is same or less than my Provari and nautilus.....

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong, I'm a lung hitter. Can hit for as long as I can take it, and still no vapor, not like what I see allot of folks blowing.

Juggernaut666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
Dallas Tx.
Stillare
2e7d808e0f69ee381335eaa3b8116599.jpg

35a3ecd52bd8cf85e8f9ac4f27b01740.jpg

9f4f2f9e000fe3cad20a260433baac54.jpg

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
2. Nemesis with stillare, 24g 6 wraps dual coils separate. .4 ohm, cotton

Both hit well, but cloud is same or less than my Provari and Nautilus.....

I ran this setup through the Steam Engine coil wrapping calculator. Your coil internal diameter is 5mm in order to get the 6/5 wraps I see in the picture. Heat flux (watts per surface area) at 30 watts is quite low, so your coils may not be getting hot enough to make a lot of vapor.

For 0.3-0.6 ohm dual coil setups I like using 27 gauge Kanthal. I switch to 24 gauge for 0.2 ohms. The thicker the wire the lower the resistance per inch of it. So you can design a thicker, longer wire with high surface area and mass that has the same resistance as a thinner, shorter wire. Too much surface area and you have too little power per square inch to vaporize juice quickly. In this case wire mass also goes up and that means it takes longer for the wire to heat up.

I would also suggest you go a bit smaller than 5mm ID, say 4mm at most. I currently stay between 2.5-3mm. I can't tell if your coil is centered vertically behind the air slot, but it looks great left to right. Smaller diameter will allow better air flow over and under the coil. I bring the coils reasonably close to the inside of the cap, without risking them touching the cap.

IMO you have two choices here. Use less 24 gauge wire to make lower resistance or use thinner wire for a 0.4 ohm build. If you have no thinner wire I would try a 0.3 ohm build on a 3mm pin and see how that vapes.

The amount of cotton you're using looks good to me.

Make sure your battery can handle the amp draw of your build resistance at 4.2v.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It was a 2.5mm Allen key that I used to wrap those. That's usually my go to size for most things largest I've ever used was a 3mm.

And that should've read .2 ohm, not .4 but was actually a tad higher than that for leg length....

Well, that changes things a bit :rolleyes:

Here's the Steam Engine calculator with the new data. Your 2.5mm Allen key measures 2.9mm over the corners, though FWIW I still think your coils are bigger than that, but that's just me :). I did have to change the resistance to 0.26 ohms to make the model create a 6/5 wrap.

It still looks a bit on the high side for surface area, but it's much better than at 0.4 ohms.

Here's my Mutation X setup at 0.18 ohms. Note the higher heat flux number. It's still a cool vape with only three of nine air holes per side open. It also makes a lot of vapor with more air and full lung hits.

Here's another build I like in a Cyclone RDA, a small atty. That is a not a vapor beast but it is really good for flavor.

I think you really need to experiment with different builds and get to know how things work. I've found that getting to know the Steam Engine calculator helps me get close to what I want in new builds without a lot of trial and error, but you have to know how the variables affect your vape for it to help.

Last edited:

Thraizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Nj
Off topic, that steam engine calculator is pretty neat. I've been using a different calculator which doesn't have a lot of stuff in it but I'm starting to get the hang of it messing with steam engine. Regarding heat flux, on a high power variable watt device that value on the heat flux box is the value that I can set my vw device to?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Off topic, that steam engine calculator is pretty neat. I've been using a different calculator which doesn't have a lot of stuff in it but I'm starting to get the hang of it messing with steam engine. Regarding heat flux, on a high power variable watt device that value on the heat flux box is the value that I can set my vw device to?

You got it Thraizer :thumb:

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Well, that changes things a bit :rolleyes:
Here's my Mutation X setup at 0.18 ohms. Note the higher heat flux number. It's still a cool vape with only three of nine air holes per side open. It also makes a lot of vapor with more air and full lung hits.

Do you have a VW device set at 60W? I'm running 0.18 in my MX but it's on a mech mod and I get 98W on a full charge. You're still getting more Heat Flux as I'm running parallel 26ga.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do you have a VW device set at 60W? I'm running 0.18 in my MX but it's on a mech mod and I get 98W on a full charge. You're still getting more Heat Flux as I'm running parallel 26ga.

Yes your battery is seeing 98 watts, 23.33 amps, discharge at 4.2V. But your battery has internal resistance and the mod has some resistance also which takes away from what the atty sees. At these power levels you're doing pretty good with voltage across the coils of 3.5v and that's 68 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread