What are the best mech mod clones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Out of curiosity, how many of you with button problems on the Nemesis were using flat top batteries?

I use AW IMR's, so button top.
    The throw was way to long and crunchy on my hcigar Nemesis. FatDaddy magnets & screw fixed it.

Of the three clones that I have, (Nemesis, ChiYou, and Caravela) the hcigar brass Caravela is by far the best.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I use flat tops and had occasional misfires on the Nemesis clone. You think it's the battery?

I'm thinking it's a problem with the sizing of the connector pin and black insulating ring in the button.

I first stumbled across a thread here about someone having button problems with a Nemesis and a Kick and 18650 batteries, which I also regularly use. With the 4mm ring in place it wouldn't fire at all, with the 4mm ring removed the button wouldn't screw in far enough. My Nemesis has perfect fit and the button (with stock spring) works flawlessly, never the slightest crunch or misfire...

Since we were also using the same topper, I looked for a difference. The flat top vs button top was the only difference. I then took a good look at my own Nemesis that works so well, and...

IMG_1067.jpg

With everything nice and snug inside, if you took away that button top you wouldn't have enough throw to push the connector pin to the battery. It wouldn't clear the black insulating ring. The solution would be to loosen the button pin slightly to make contact, but then the pin unscrews itself and/or wobbles, which is what causes the crunching.

If they made a button pin and insulating ring that was 1.5mm longer for people with flat top batteries I'll bet that would solve virtually all of the button problems. That would give flat top battery users the exact same working dimensions as a button top user.

30+Years

ECF Veteran
    Jan 30, 2014
    IN
    I use AW IMR's, so button top.
    The throw was way to long and crunchy on my HCigar Nemesis. FatDaddy magnets & screw fixed it.

Of the three clones that I have, (Nemesis, ChiYou, and Caravela) the HCigar brass Caravela is by far the best.

Do you have a source for extra pins for the Caravela? The pin that came with mine doesn't allow my Hcigar Kayfun 3.1 or Ehpro lite plus sit flush on it.

Edit; Maybe I should get flat top batteries? That may be just enough to get them flush...

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Do you have a source for extra pins for the Caravela? The pin that came with mine doesn't allow my Hcigar Kayfun 3.1 or Ehpro lite plus sit flush on it.

Use a shorter battery.

What size?

18490? (Which are the exact same size as an 18500 flat top)

I use 18490's in everything.

Give me a sec 30+ and Ill post a pic.

add:
    with AW IMR 18490
    P1000812_zpsc54277e7.jpg

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas

You should put the topper in with the pin backed out as far as it will go. Then tighten the pin to the topper. Then put the battery in. Last, make sure the pin in the button is as tight as you can get it and put that in.

If the top pin is backed out as far as it will go then it's not poking through the top of the cap. It won't stop your Kayfun from fitting.

30+Years

ECF Veteran
    Jan 30, 2014
    IN
    You should put the topper in with the pin backed out as far as it will go. Then tighten the pin to the topper. Then put the battery in. Last, make sure the pin in the button is as tight as you can get it and put that in.

If the top pin is backed out as far as it will go then it's not poking through the top of the cap. It won't stop your Kayfun from fitting.

Yeah, still not enough. Will have to get some flat top batteries. With no measurements it looks like the gap is about equal to the button on the battery?

You would think that that kind of stuff would be readily available. I don't really want to try and make new pins.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    Yeah, still not enough. Will have to get some flat top batteries. With no measurements it looks like the gap is about equal to the button on the battery?

???????????????????

If the pin is backed OUT as far as it will go and it's not enough to fit a Kayfun in top then something is wrong with the cap. Changing the batteries won't make a bit of difference. Turing the pin 1 more time would take it completely out, and the shaft of the pin is smaller in diameter than the Kayfun post.

You are adjusting the pin from the BATTERY side of the cap, right?

Take the pin all the way out of the cap and set it on the table. Then put your Kayfun in. Does it fit? If so, put the pin in nice and snug and then finish your build from there.

Last edited:

30+Years

ECF Veteran
    Jan 30, 2014
    IN
    ???????????????????

If the pin is backed OUT as far as it will go and it's not enough to fit a Kayfun in top then something is wrong with the cap. Changing the batteries won't make a bit of difference. Turing the pin 1 more time would take it completely out, and the shaft of the pin is smaller in diameter than the Kayfun post.

You are adjusting the pin from the BATTERY side of the cap, right?

Take the pin all the way out of the cap and set it on the table. Then put your Kayfun in. Does it fit? If so, put the pin in and then finish your build from there.

The pin in the Caravela is too long. Either you can get the topper to fit flush to the cap and then the cap won't screw on all the way or you can get the cap screwed on all the way and there's a gap between the cap and topper.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I use 18490's in everything.

That was my point.

The problem with the Nemesis appears to be with people with flat top batteries. The Nemesis is made for 18350, 18500, and 18650 batteries.

Your 18490 batteries are the exact same length as an 18500 flat top, which means you would have the exact same button problems as someone with an 18500 flat top battery.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    The pin in the Caravela is too long. Either you can get the topper to fit flush to the cap and then the cap won't screw on all the way or you can get the cap screwed on all the way and there's a gap between the cap and topper.

Ahh, I see. (said the blind man)

Sounds like the Caravela has the opposite problem, it was made for flat tops.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

NO, the Caravela doesn't work the same as the Nemmie. (the Nemmie has lots of threads on the switch to adjust to the battery)
    Screw the + post up a bit, put the battery in the Caravela, and then screw the + post down to contact the battery. Then install the topper.
    That's why I normally use toppers with adjustible center posts on my Caravela.

add:
    All AW batteries are button top.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    NO, the Caravela doesn't work the same as the Nemmie.
    Screw the + post up a bit, put the battery in the Caravela, and then screw the + post down to contact the battery. Then install the topper.
    That's why I normally use toppers with adjustible center posts on my Caravela.

Yeah, I had that figured out with my last post.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread