What are you Aging? and How are you aging it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Why don't you start a campaign to replace left and right with port and starboard as well , I like the nautical sound of it . :)

Our government once called it taxing and spending until that got a bad image. Now they call it revenue and investment. They must have learned that from the global warming climate change crowd. :)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Other than my bones; Vapemail today ! Highbrow French Pipe (Mild), Exotic Blend (w/Apple), Peach Thymbra (Extra Flavor), Strawberry Lemonade (EF), Caramel Cake (EF), Cheesecake Torte (w/ Blueberry, EF), Dark Chocolate Mint (EF), Belgian Waffle (EF). All 30mL, 12mg nicotine, and 30/70 PG/VG (by request).
Caps and Drippers off, will go back on Saturday. Then they will slowly be worked into rotation by end of month, except for the two tobacco flavors. HB tobaccos are notorious for needing long steep times, like months instead of weeks.
In the meantime, I have some four month steeped HHV Tobaccos and some six week steeped sweets and bakery from AltCig.com and CravinVapes to keep me occupied....

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just a mention here...the reason we de-cap our HHV for a day or two is because many of Adam's juices use alcohol in the extracts. Some of it remains even after mixing the bottles for our orders. So we need to -de-cap to let the alcohol evaporate. Most vendors do not use alcohol in their extracts. They use other methods that do not require de-capping. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Just a mention here...the reason we de-cap our HHV for a day or two is because many of Adam's juices use alcohol in the extracts. Some of it remains even after mixing the bottles for our orders. So we need to -de-cap to let the alcohol evaporate. Most vendors do not use alcohol in their extracts. They use other methods that do not require de-capping. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Very good to know. As soon as I get some bigger bottles and stop vaping HHV liquids as fast as I receive them... I may have something to add to this thread.

I have a dark, cool cabinet where my liquids age after the initial 24 - 48 hour cap off time. I don't do the cap off aging inside the cabinet, because I don't want to cross-contaminate flavors. I have no idea if that could really happen, but I'm a flavor junkie and I like them to stay separate. I also clean and then soak my clearos and wicks in cheap vodka overnight before changing flavors.

I did age the small bottles from my first order and noticed the slight alcohol smell. What was lovely was that they did not smell or taste like I was vaping men's cologne. I know this because I was too impatient to try them and loaded up a mini-tank right out of the box.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Let me see... (I have to get my list out of what's what & where.)

By the way, these are already in rotation, but they are still ageing, right?

From HHV:

Cin City 125ml
Dark Horse 120ml
Shadow 110ml
Huntsman 20ml
Sludge 80ml
Tuscan Cocoa 110ml

Dragon's Fire 170ml
Heavenly Army 120ml
Heavenly Army Menthol 80ml
Huntsman Menthol 50ml
White Lie 60ml
Crackberry 60ml

Inventory as of 26 March, 2014
These were all ordered twice - As I wanted to stock up for ageing, I doubled up on each flavor (2 50ml ea) for the NETs and (1 50ml for non-NETs and NET menthol).

The first set at low nic 6mg and most at 40/60 or 50/50 PG/VG. Ordered between March & April 2013.
The second order was at a higher than my normal PG/VG and nic levels, 18mg nic & 70/30 or 80/20 PG/VG. Blending the juice would bring levels to my preferred specs. Second set ordered between August and Sept. 2013.

Note: At the end of September, 2013 I had over 2 litters of juice, all venders included! The list shows the approximate total of what is left.

From N.E.T.com (70/30 @ 12mg):

Blackberry Burley (heat extract) 40ml Dated: Oct. 14, 2013
Balkan (heat extract) 20ml Jan. 10, 2014

A Blend:
50/50 blend of Balkan and Crackberry (Cbry is 80/20 @ 18mg) about 20ml left in stock

That's a very nice blend, btw.

Last edited:

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
With my first 50 ml bottle on the way, I'm wondering if it's okay to age it in the single bottle it arrives in, or is it better to break it down into smaller amounts for aging?

I haven't tried breaking it down in to smaller bottles , it's supposed to help but my HHV doesn't hang around long enough anyway , time for 100ml bottles for me . :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
With my first 50 ml bottle on the way, I'm wondering if it's okay to age it in the single bottle it arrives in, or is it better to break it down into smaller amounts for aging?

Some have said breaking it down increases the steeping. Sounds like another myth to me. LA, steeping is the simple process of differing flavor molecules attaching themselves to each other. Nothing more, nothing less. With HHV, decap a day to get the alcohol out of there (alcohol ......s steeping). From there, just shake as often as you think of it. Some folks swear they can steep their juice in a matter of hours using those sonic cleaners. I don't know the validity of that but I would believe those have a greater impact on steeping than bottle size. Just my :2c:

Shake shake shake is the best thing you can do other than getting ahead on your inventory.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
was sitting here thinking about the plethora of methods used to age the liquid...
some include:
letting it sit, shaking, aggressively shaking, heating slowly, heating quickly, shaking and heating combined ( ultrasonic), and down right cooking it in a rice cooker ( ack!!)

each method imparts energy into the liquid in varying degrees of intensity ( basically heat, Im seeing a common denominator here).
Also, ventilation/breathing is often applied to the liquid... Im assuming to release the alcohol and other VOC's and probably aids in oxidizing complex molecules ( flavors)

general concensus seems to swing towards aging is needed for nets but not so much for non extracted flavors ( other than alcohol removal)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
was sitting here thinking about the plethora of methods used to age the liquid...
some include:
letting it sit, shaking, aggressively shaking, heating slowly, heating quickly, shaking and heating combined ( ultrasonic), and down right cooking it in a rice cooker ( ack!!)

each method imparts energy into the liquid in varying degrees of intensity ( basically heat, Im seeing a common denominator here).
Also, ventilation/breathing is often applied to the liquid... Im assuming to release the alcohol and other VOC's and probably aids in oxidizing complex molecules ( flavors)

general concensus seems to swing towards aging is needed for nets but not so much for non extracted flavors ( other than alcohol removal)

The best steeping aging method is to get ahead on inventory. :)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am currently STEEPING (why try to re-invent the wheel ?) ;
Highbrow ; 30ml bottles of Exotic Blend (w/Apple), French Pipe (mild), Peach Thymbra, Strawberry Lemonade, Blueberry Cheesecake Torte, Caramel Cake, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Belgian Waffle. Born On; 4/29/14. 24 hours Caps/ Drippers off, Shake 2- 3 times weekly.
MyVapeJuice ; 17ml bottles of Sitliff Private Stock - Westminster, Berkshire, and Taste of Summer. Dunhill - Early Morning. Borkum Riff - Cherry Cavendish. and Savage - Cocoa Blend. Born On; 5/24/14. 24 hours Caps/ Drippers off, Shake 2- 3 times weekly.
It will be awhile before I get to any of the e-liquids listed above. I am currently Vaping nearly 150ml total of favorite HHV (Legend, Shadow, HT, DF, Oompa) and maybe 30ml total of NET.com (Chris' Blend, Black Cavendish) from Jan 1st. I am also working on maybe 50ml total of AltCig sweet vapes (Churro, Caramel Love, Banana Foster Waffle, and Mom's Apple Pie), and maybe 70ml total of CravinVapes sweet vapes (Vanilla X, Apple Delight, Strawberry Banana) from mid-April.
As you can tell, I believe in Long- Steeping by rotating stock. Why else would I order nearly 300ml of e-liquid when I already have nearly 300ml in stock ? By rotating stock, I get the desired results.
Say what you want, but Five- Month naturally steeped HHV Legend and Heavenly Tobacco, Highbrow Cigar and NET.com Chris' Blend are truly exotic vapes for flavor and smoothness.

EDIT: And when the Highbrow and MVJ reach the front of the shelf, it'll be time for a 300- 400 reorder from HHV :2cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread