What are you Aging? and How are you aging it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
I'm aging, unfortunately ;)

But I got a few Ianwera Absolutes, and other flavors I got from there, as well as Mom&Pop tobacco flavors, STEEPING in a cardboard box, in my bedside cupboard.
Funny how the level drops day after day...:D But at least it gives them a good shake and airing...

And that reminds me...more M&P's needed. I emptied 2 of my flavors, and the others are good for...er...10ml each. New month, new command ;)

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Since STEEPING is the topic at the moment...
Im steeping some Gran Mariner ( orange) Black Cavendish/Burly in 100VG
A dark Chocolate Cavendish in PGA
and a Chocolate/Mint Black Cavendish in 100VG

the PGA is at room temp sealed and the VG's are in the crockpot at 140F...
its gonna be a long 3 days... :)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Crockpot?

Help me understand?

Im trying to do DIY extracting of flavored aromatic pipe tobaccos in 100VG ( primarily black cavendish/burly). I use a crockpot set on warm/low to get to 135-140F with a 2-3 day steeping time ( this is the real meaning of steeping :) ). So far Ive done a cherry, chocolate/cherry, chocolate mint, and an orange. Also did a Churchill Cigar and presently doing a dark chocolate cavendish in PGA. Results so far seem to be decient, nothing outstanding yet... but Im still learning processes. The Pros dont give up thier secrets...

Calve

Fat Bob Squadron
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2014
Sweet Home Alabama
Im trying to do DIY extracting of flavored aromatic pipe tobaccos in 100VG ( primarily black cavendish/burly). I use a crockpot set on warm/low to get to 135-140F with a 2-3 day steeping time ( this is the real meaning of steeping :) ). So far Ive done a cherry, chocolate/cherry, chocolate mint, and an orange. Also did a Churchill Cigar and presently doing a dark chocolate cavendish in PGA. Results so far seem to be decient, nothing outstanding yet... but Im still learning processes. The Pros dont give up thier secrets...

So cool.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
What Bunny Killer (Scot) is doing is EXTRACTING.
Several Hours in a Crock Pot would be Heat Extraction.
Several weeks at room temperature is called Cold Maceration.
Blending pre-measured amounts of PG, VG, Flavors (extracted or otherwise) and Liquid Nicotine is Mixing.
Allowing the finished product time for the components to fully blend together is Steeping.

BK, have you gone over to the DIY Sub-Forums yet ? A few of the Natural Tobaccos crowd (Johni comes to mind) are posting threads of their own extraction trials, even listing equipment and amounts. Some are rather specific on the types of tobaccos (Oriental, Burley, Virginia, etc.). Granted, it wouldn't be the same as Adam and Heather opening up their recipe book, but might be worth your while to read a few threads, maybe even compare notes. just sayin.....

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
What Bunny Killer (Scot) is doing is EXTRACTING.
Several Hours in a Crock Pot would be Heat Extraction.
Several weeks at room temperature is called Cold Maceration.
Blending pre-measured amounts of PG, VG, Flavors (extracted or otherwise) and Liquid Nicotine is Mixing.
Allowing the finished product time for the components to fully blend together is Aging. ( I fixed it for you... bk)

BK, have you gone over to the DIY Sub-Forums yet ? A few of the Natural Tobaccos crowd (Johni comes to mind) are posting threads of their own extraction trials, even listing equipment and amounts. Some are rather specific on the types of tobaccos (Oriental, Burley, Virginia, etc.). Granted, it wouldn't be the same as Adam and Heather opening up their recipe book, but might be worth your while to read a few threads, maybe even compare notes. just sayin.....

Ive spent hours over there reading, taking notes. Been finding that there is a general concensus on methods and equipment that produce good juice/liquid and have employed such methods in my efforts to produce a good liquid. As far as some of the tobacco choices they use,.... I went to the local cigar shop and did a price check... sorry, but I dont want to afford 45$ for a single cigar... ( and that is the medium price range) some of the upper end cigars go for 125$ each ouch!

I guess the only thing to do at his point in time is to purchase a "real" quality NET made in the same method that Naturally Extracted Tobaccos.com ( Clay??) produces and compare mine to the purchased one and see how far off I am..

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I guess the only thing to do at his point in time is to purchase a "real" quality NET made in the same method that Naturally Extracted Tobaccos.com ( Clay??) produces and compare mine to the purchased one and see how far off I am..

Clay would be a good one to follow as he has made some very authentic NETs. Unfortunately, life caught up with him just as his website started to take off. Good Luck with your extractions. Who knows, maybe someday you'll open your own Vape Shop ?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Clay would be a good one to follow as he has made some very authentic NETs. Unfortunately, life caught up with him just as his website started to take off. Good Luck with your extractions. Who knows, maybe someday you'll open your own Vape Shop ?

naw... just want to make some really nice juice for myself and a few interested in trying mine... but untill I have something very worthwhile, Ill just abuse Retic with samples.. :)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
The Cherry Cavendish is really smoothing out.... has an almost buttery/creamy note to it, also a nutty ( almond?) base. Hiding underneath the nutty flavor is the cherry... its like eating a cherry and waiting for the tartness to subside and then "that" flavor is what is showing up in the extract.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
hmmm if I keep up playing around like this Im gonna need to buy another 2L of VG....already have gone thru almost a Liter making extracts... altho I do have about 800ml of product on the shelf... so I figure about 100-200 ml of lost VG due to absorbtion by the tobacco and "wash-aways" ( stuff on the sides bottom of steeping crocks)...

Next flavor to do....
Raspberry Cavendish ( the tobacco smells awesome) hope the flavor transfers well to the VG :)

Nanooks

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Salt Lake
I heard of the 24-48 hour decap at arrival. Not sure Cherry Bomb needs it, but I do notice a more consistent flavor. So current cycle is 24 hour decap at arrival, shake for a minute then store with the bottle (100ml) at an angle in my desk drawer. In the morning I shake, top off my U-can, and store in the desk drawer. I want to get a bottle ahead so I can age one bottle while I vape the other.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I heard of the 24-48 hour decap at arrival. Not sure Cherry Bomb needs it, but I do notice a more consistent flavor. So current cycle is 24 hour decap at arrival, shake for a minute then store with the bottle (100ml) at an angle in my desk drawer. In the morning I shake, top off my U-can, and store in the desk drawer. I want to get a bottle ahead so I can age one bottle while I vape the other.

A week or two should be enough for most fruit flavors , HHV's NET's take a little more time to develop though .

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
something interesting I have found in my extracting sessions... the fruit flavored tobaccos end up bitter.... ( raspberry, cherry, orange) all have a bitterness to them after steeping... but the chocolate, mint, and cigar arent bitter...

the cherry has the least bitter flavor from the rest tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread