What batteries do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenntek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Allegheny National Forest
I've had my GLV for almost 2 months. I have only used LiFePO4 batteries in it. They are rated at 3.2v It does the trick for me. I use 901's, KR808's and 510 attys.
I don't see much of a difference in flavor, or vapor quality when I tested with a set of 3.6v and 3.7v batteries. I purchased the 5v mod. I LIKE IT!
Thank you Jay!
LiFePO4's are the safest battery out there... I'll take hit after hit, and the atty is hot as ever... the batteries remain cool. I tend to "hotbox" the GLV... YUM!
I look like a steam engine! Give a set of LiFePO4's a try.
'

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
I thought I read here at least once that the 3/3.2Vs wouldn't power it for long, would provide only a short batt life? Not sure why. Do already have some of those, willing to try just for kicks sometime (must need a life ;)).

Edit: Actually it may have just been the 3.0V I read that about; *did notice just recently that there are those 3.2V LifePO4s too. Ones I saw were green and plain, and I think not marked RCR123A. Mine are Tenergy RCR123A 750mAh LifePO4, say 3.0V tho. What mAh are yours jenntek?

*Edit #2! Whas my problem tonight. I do have the plain green 3.2V I was talking about too, came with another mod (but haven't used in months)! So correction: "I noticed just recently that there are 3.2V LifePO4s too... and that I have them." :p

Last edited:

Crimmy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Gainesville, GA USA
Still sketchy on best protected batteries vs which ones suck.
and what charger? Links would rock. Thanks guys

The best batts for the GLV is the AW rcr123a I found them here. AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery
I have used the tenergy rcr123a 3.0v 750 and 900mah and the AW beats then out by far.

And the charger I use is this one http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-WF-139-Charger-for-14500-17500-18500-18650-RCR123-37-volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2279.html It seems to work good and charges these batts in like 3 to 4 hours from dead. so that is a good thing.

Last edited:

Crimmy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Gainesville, GA USA
Is this just in terms of battery life, or overall performance?

If I understand correctly, using the 3.0's will effectively turn the 5V model in to a ~3.6V.

No the glv2 (large body) 2 of the 3.0v will still work at 5v but will not last as long as 2 of the 3.7v at the same mah.

Crimmy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Gainesville, GA USA

If I understand correctly, using the 3.0's will effectively turn the 5V model in to a ~3.6V.
Battery life and performance both. Personally the AW are worth the extra money. But I have heard that the ultrafire rcr123a 880 mah work good too. and there cheaper but I have never tried them.

Crimmy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Gainesville, GA USA

True you would need the spacers but they just threw them in for me. I asked in the checkout and whalla they were there in the box.

Crimmy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Gainesville, GA USA
Am I right that what I have linked does not need spacers?

You are right. You will NOT need any spacers with that one. I can not vouch for how good it is though. Good luck and let us know we are always looking for cheaper stuff that works good. :2c::2c::2c::2c::2c::2c::2c::2c::2c::2c: Crimmy is a cheapo!!!!

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I was thinkin' of ordering a few of these AW high drain 16340s from Iken for $7 a pop. AW IMR-16340 CR-123a High Drain Anybody using these? Are they all they're cracked up to be?

with the glv i dont think you will notice much difference between them and the black aw's. I use them and can tell a little difference. If you are using the Mini GLV you will see a difference. But not so much in the 5v version.

dUdEmOnIuM

Unregistered Supplier
Apr 2, 2010
Omaha, NE
with the glv i dont think you will notice much difference between them and the black aw's. I use them and can tell a little difference. If you are using the Mini GLV you will see a difference. But not so much in the 5v version.

Crap, I just ordered 4 of the new high drain AW IMR 16340's from Iken. So there's not a huge difference between these and the regular 750 maH AW's at 5v? I just want to make sure I'm still getting the best in AW performance on the GLV. These high drains are rated at 550 maH. Is it worth going back and trying to get my order changed back to the black ones, or should I just go with the high drains and be happy?

Twinkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2009
Crap, I just ordered 4 of the new high drain AW IMR 16340's from Iken. So there's not a huge difference between these and the regular 750 maH AW's at 5v? I just want to make sure I'm still getting the best in AW performance on the GLV. These high drains are rated at 550 maH. Is it worth going back and trying to get my order changed back to the black ones, or should I just go with the high drains and be happy?
Drozd posted an interesting explanation of the differences in batteries in a few of the other forums. This one is probably the most relevant to us.

What he's basically saying is that the high-drain ones are better for PV's when you're not trying for 6V, because they regenerate quickly, and can supply all the power our devices demand. And, the high-drain chemistry isn't Li-Ion, so they're inherently safer batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread