What brought you to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atsirk

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2010
Lake Oswego, Oregon
I asked this in the 'Question and Answer' thread, but I'd like to hear from everyone who cares to share. How did you first hear of vaping, and what made you think "Hey, that's for me..."?

Me - I'd been wanting to give up the health problems with analogs, but didn't want to give up smoking. I Loved Smoking. Loved it to death, as they say. When I saw someone vaping in a meeting, I had to know more. Did some research and bought my first over-priced under-effective Blu kit. Then I found ECF and with the info I found here was able to give up the stinkies. Yay! Now I Love vaping. Love it to LIFE. :)

webbcm127

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
wenatchee WA
Well I live in a small town but we had one of the mall kiosk people....said take a smoke break in the mall for a buck and I said WTH. So I tried it thought is wa pretty cool a couple weeks later I bought a kit from him......vary expensive I mind u haha. I found ecf while trying to determine what type of ecig I had. Found I bought a 901 I was happy with my choice but not the 1 bat, atty and 5 carts for over 100$ but he assured me lifetime warranty on all parts. I wanted to quit smoking for some time and had been semi successful a few times however my problem was I never really wanted to quit or maybe injust enjoyed it. Either way I'm a happy vaper'er now and haven't had a cig since 2 weeks before thanksgiving and my fiancée loves that lol... Have a good one everybody!-) thanks for reading

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
Several people upon my announcing that I was quitting said "You're not gonna get one of those fake electric ones are you?" My answer was always "No,no,no. I have an herbal remedy." Then the herbal remedy made me sick, so I tried herbal cigarettes. No TH and they are sour. Then I saw a cigarette machine with some disposable e-cigs. I start researching and saw all of the free trial gimmicks and thought "I can't afford this". So I did what I always do when I want something and can't afford it. I hunted until I found a forum. That's the way to find the good stuff, and the cheap stuff.

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
I've tried to quit before. Other than being pregnant and nursing, nothing worked. Patches didn't work. Made my heart race and I broke out where the were stuck on me. 2 friends used Chantix and had horrible HORRIBLE side effects. Hypnosis worked for a while. I love LOVED loved smoking. I once told DH after I went back to smoking that I felt like I'd remet 20 of my best friends.

For the past couple of years I've really wanted to quit. I don't our children to suffer this addiction nor do I want them to suffer my choices later in life. I wanted to be able to breath. To smell. To stop coughing.

Then my brother in law had 2 heart attacks 4 days apart in July at the age of 47. By grace of God he is alive and kicking. Chain smoking with my sister's neighbor in the days that followed while watching my nieces and nephew we talked about how to quit. The neighbor's Ex-H had bought an e-cig at a local flea mkt and quit after 30 years of smoking. 3 days later I hauled to the weekend flea market and bought 3 kits. (510's) One for me. One for my sister and one for a friend.

I'm a frugal as the next person - but my sister and friend were worth it - and hubs approved because he'd pay anything to get me to quit.

I found this site 2 weeks later and started reading. I joined after 2 weeks. I've moved up to an eGo - still use the 510's - but prefer the riva/eGo.

I no longer cough laying down at night nor when I wake in the morning. I've not had bronchitis this winter for the first time in 20 years. I've only had one sinus infection. I can do a 30 min work out without passing out.

Enid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Greenville, SC
I lost my job and for us to be able to live on two salaries (yes, there's 3 of us), we had to quit smoking. I was the cheerleader for the quitting. I HATED spending money on cigs. Even if cigs were cheaper by the carton, it killed me to spend $112 at a time for 3 cartons.

A few weeks into "quitting", my comrades became sneaky and started saying things like, "We'll only smoke on weekends". I had not smoked at all and was super pissy. I wanted to smoke but I didn't want those sneaky .......s to win. I remembered a youtube video on e-cigs and started my e-cig research project (ecf), while they smoked outside. Oh, how I wanted to kill them.

I went outside and told them about the e-cig and that I was ordering a eGo kit and juice. I saw some eye-rolling.

Got the kit and by the sheer force of threats of violence made my sweetie/meanie PROMISE to use it. He does except for 2 or 3 cigs a day M-F, that he bums from his brother. My bestfriend/fellow commune dweller ordered her kit after taking two drags off of my e-cig. She's since quit vaping and not going back to smoking. I vape 0-6 mg and not as much as I used to. Last night, I asked my sweetie/meanie if he'd go back to smoking if he had free will. He said yes. (frown. evil sideways glare.) I think that I need to get him a VV or a 5 volt e-cig. He's already vaping 24-36 mg and using snus.

So, that's my story.

total e-cig stuff for 3 ppl.
2- eGo kits
1-riva kit (just got it last week!)
crappy auto 510 kit (guests can try it)
1 passthough

Last edited:

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
I kept saying after we got Beth pregnant that I was going to quit smoking....flash forward to Livi being 9 months old and WALKING. She would make her way to the window while I was out on the porch and watch me smoke. It was terribly sad for me to see her standing there watching me. I was ashamed. :( But I couldn't put them down, though I cut down a lot. I saw an ad online for a "free trial offer", Smoke 51. I ordered it, $180ish later I was super ...... off, but I was only smoking a few a day and could see potential. I got online, did some searching, found ECF and the Joye 510. Then I won an eGo from a PIF contest (thank you Blkeyedsuzan, I <3 you), smoked less and less, sometimes going a couple of months without any cigarettes. Then Lox introduced me to 5v vaping. :) Haven't smoked one since. YAY! So....yeah, basicially, it was

All about them. :)

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I'd read a newspaper article about e-cigs a couple years ago but didn't give it much thought as I assumed they were just an overpriced fad that didn't really work anyways. Fast forward to this past August when I saw e-cigs being talked about on a cruising forum. Decided to give them a try as an alternative to use when it might be more convenient than smoking a cigarette. I had no plans to totally give up smoking cigarettes just because I bought an e-cig. Four hours after I tried my first Joye 510 I knew this was the way I could give up cigarettes and never smoke one again and that's exactly what happened. I still use my Joye 510 sometimes but I've also moved onto an Ego, a 5VT direct PT, a Roughstack, and my Infinity will be arriving soon !!!!

trouble2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Billings, MT
I kept seeing a commercial on TV for the Blu. I must have seen it for 3-6 months (?) and kept telling myself to look into those. I finally did at the beginning of July and I ordered the SmokeTip. I didn't have the greatest results with it, but I did realize that it would at least cut my smoking back a little bit. Then, like most of the rest of us, I found ECF. I kept hearing stories from people who were heavy smokers just like me, who had actually quit and switched completely to vaping. The first time I saw cozzicon's video series, I knew that this really could possibly work for someone like me. So far, so good!!

gramakittycat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
I honestly can't recall where I first heard about e-cigs but I ordered my first,a Smoke 51 duo,from amazon and a couple of other cheapies.Somehow surfin' the web I found ECF and got the REAL story behind e-cigs and the rest they say is history! It was a 40 + year 2ppd habit and my kids concern over my smoking that finally got to me.Price was a big facttor also;I had always said when cigs got to $2.00 a pack I'd quit.I think the price had just topped $4.00 when I was converted.

Last edited:

bigtimeweb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Texas
I recently stopped life and went back to school. While I was walking across the parking lot to class, the wind blew and I got a whiff of my ashtray smell and was mortified.

Next time I was at my corner store...buying MORE cigarettes, I saw a display of non-rechargeable disposables on the counter which was new. Talked to them about it and bought one. I didn't use it much as it was weird mental block, but then I was going full moon sailing on the bay where I was told no smoking, so I grabbed another one for the trip. Again, didn't use it on the sailing venture much - instead would walk to the parking lot and smoke a stinky stick like an outcast. During that I had several conversations with people about quitting. Woke up the next morning and put a concerted effort towards the disposables, and found I REALLY REALLY liked the taste, and action, and realized this was really possible.

Those things were TEN dollars a piece and they were lasting me 1-1.5 days sometimes less if I got one with a bad battery. One lasted less than a day and that ...... me off. Thats MORE than my smoking habit. So I started digging around, found ECF, read in my normal OCD way, and bought an eGoT. Invested in the disposables one more time while I waited and haven't been back to my corner store since!

charmed412

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
constant state of confusion
I loved smoking. I watch my some of my grandkids during the day. I could just step out onto the porch and smoke whenever I wanted to....then my daughter announced that she was pregnant. I started thinking about a newborn and satan's minion...sorry....I mean my three year old grandson in the house alone with a newborn while I was out smoking. Terrifyingly vivid images went through my head. I started looking at ways to quit. Decided on vaping, stumbled onto ECF doing a google search. I posted my story in the newcomer's forum and within minutes, I had some really wonderful people offering to help me.....and I have been here ever since. My kids are proud of me, my grandkids are proud of me, I am proud of me. I feel better. I smell better. And my $60 a week paycheck goes a heck of a lot farther. :blush:
And an unexpected benefit is that I started a new diet last Monday and I can eat very few foods. So I can still have my cupcakes and my sweets. I just vape them instead. :laugh: And this morning I got on the scale and after a week........ i am 26 pounds lighter. :banana:

Last edited:
I saw the ad for "Smoking Anywhere" and ordered the "Smoking Stick" - just for laughs. Ended up switching over completely the day that it came in the mail, although I've had a few analogs while out drinking with a dead battery.

It's been a year as of tomorrow, and I've never missed analogs.

Aresi

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Fremont, CA
I went into a 7-11 and saw the e-cig there. Looked at it, and decided I'd see what I could find on the internet as I bought a soda and a pack of analogs and continued the trek home. Did some searching, looked at some stuff, mentioned it to my roomie who scoffed at it and said to do more research. I think she saw the FDA report. *shrugs* So I put it all on the back-burner. Then I got laid off. Again. I went and did more searching. I found ECF and lurked...and learned. Bought a Halo, joined the forum, and found PIF.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
A guy I knew on another unrelated forum told me about 'em; I wasn't really interested - juice in your mouth? - it sounded messy, expensive, and possibly dangerous (ordering direct from China?). Fast forward about a year, I was desperate to quit (so expensive in NYC before the latest tax increase) but just couldn't. One day in a grocery store I noticed a cashier take a puff and I had to ask: "Excuse me, but are you... vaping!?" (my first contact with an actual vaper in real life) and she agreed to let me try it (510), told me to come back on a future work shift and she would bring an extra tip. Even her kit-cartridge juice tasted better than I expected (and I knew about DIY juice and non-tobacco flavors from the first guy) so I could see the potential. She wrote down 2 URLs: the vendor she'd bought from and ECF. That night I read about various models, just enough to decide on a 510 kit right away and THEN started the real research, discovered coupon codes and the learning curve... became as hooked on ECF as much as vaping itself, I think! Went through the pack I had on hand when my kit arrived, just to use them up, that was last May and have had little desire for an analog since. Although I've had my "were they really so bad?" re-verification moments, they have been few.

Unfortunately the cashier disappeared from that job at the end of the school term so I never had the chance to thank her, though I went back to the store several times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread