- cola
- strawberry
- banana
- forest fruit
- apple (not liking this on its own)
- watermelon
- vanilla
- passion fruit

I am unsure of what concotions to try and mix, veteran mixers assistance would be much appreciated here

Also, if I want to mix 2 flavours, how do I know how much of each to use as the calculators I use only work with mixing one flavour...

Your help would be appreciated

Thanks

xirokx

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
North London, UK
thanks some good ideas i never considered..

any ideas on this part of my question:

Also, if I want to mix 2 flavours, how do I know how much of each to use as the calculators I use only work with mixing one flavour...

How about strawberry, banana with vanilla?

I am a newb and mixing more then 1 flavour, any trusted easy to use calculators would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Banana, strawberry and vanilla sounds good :)

If you are using Windows this is a good calculator application which does a bit more, and allows you to save recipes - eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator
And if it's an Excel calculator you prefer then Scubabatdan's is good - https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=89716a8960646eb99c6c

As for how much of each to use, it's down to taste, and the effect you are trying to achieve. Also some flavours are stronger than others. For example if mixing strawberry and vanilla would you want strawberry with a hint of vanillla or vanilla with a hint of strawberry, or a more equal mix? All are equally valid but you'd have to decide what you were aiming for. I tend to keep overall flavour percentages lower than 20% (sometimes a lot lower) but there's no hard and fast rules here.

Another thing which can catch you out is that some flavours take some time to 'settle down' after mixing and the taste changes over the following days. The juice may also colour over this period.

Last edited:

xirokx

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
North London, UK
thanks for your response,

when mixing two or three flavours, I understand its a personal preferance but what would be a good starting point in terms of percentage per flavour to use?

So for example if I wanted to mix strawberry and banana and get an equal taste what flavour percentage would I try?

also if I wanted to mix strawberry and banana and taste more strawberry then banana , what flavour percentage would I use?

thanks for your help

on a seperate note do you know where I could boge 2.0ohm cartos as LF are out of stock

thank you so much for your help

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
I haven't got those Flavourart flavs but as a test I'd try a small mix with 5% of each, let it stand for a short while and see how it turns out. You can make tweaks to it after mixing (but keep a note of them). You don't even have to use nicotine for these initial flavour tests, so you're not wasting it if it's truly horrible..

As for carto's if you want cheap and can wait a week or two for them to arrive Healthcabin have a sale on for the next couple of days. If you want quick then try iVapour or eCigWizard.

xirokx

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
North London, UK
I haven't got those Flavourart flavs but as a test I'd try a small mix with 5% of each, let it stand for a short while and see how it turns out. You can make tweaks to it after mixing (but keep a note of them). You don't even have to use nicotine for these initial flavour tests, so you're not wasting it if it's truly horrible..

are you suggesting to vape the "mixed test" flavours without any nic just to get an idea of taste?

thanks for your suggestions with regards to cartos

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
are you suggesting to vape the "mixed test" flavours without any nic just to get an idea of taste?

Yes you can do that. The nicotine is likely to affect the flavour a bit but not too much. TBH, I rarely do it myself, but I do mix any new 'experiments' in very small amounts (3ml or so). Enough to give me an idea of whether the mix works or not, but not much of a waste if it's not good.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK

Soonerfan

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
I'll give this a shot. In the first box that has the nicotine juice you have on hand you must list in the boxes for pg and vg whether your nicotine is in a pg or vg base or a combination of both. Most nic is in a pg base. Then down where the flavors are listed you must list in the boxes labeled pg/vg what base the flavors are in. Most are pg. You can buy vg flavors but they are few and far between. So for example if I have 36 mg. of nic in a pg base I'm going to put 100% pg in the little pg/vg boxes and the same goes for each flavor I am using. The rest of your numbers look good. Then hit calculate and your numbers should be correct for mixing. I think this is right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I've only been mixing a short while.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
OK, you basically have it. The only confusion is the different PG/VG ratios.

The uppermost PG/VG ratio (Nicotine Strength e-Juice) is the ratio of the nicotine base you have. If you have bought 100% PG nicotine then input 100% PG, 0% VG here.

The PG/VG percentages in the flavourings should in nearly all cases be set to 100% PG. Very few flavourings have a VG base, they are usually in PG. I would change these from the default setting (which is 50/50).

The target PG/VG ratio that you want (60/40) is input in the lower boxes (under resulting recipes).

See attached, in which I've assumed you are using PG based nicotine liquid. Note that a 60% PG/40% VG mix cannot be done with this particular combination of ingredients at the required strength (24mg) so you will get an error message and the negative values (highlighted). The highest VG percentage you can have with this particular combination is about 18% VG, without having to either lower the strength of the liquid or reduce the amount of flavouring.

The reason for this is the flavouring takes up 15% of the total liquid, and it is counted as PG. Even without flavouring, you could not have a 60/40 mix, as exactly two thirds of it (66.67%) would have to be PG nicotine base to get a final strength of 24mg, leaving a maximum of 33.33% VG.

2yuyv5x.png

xirokx

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
North London, UK
thanks papa et al for your responses and sorry for my delayed response,

My PG nicotine is 90% PG and 10% water as per the manufacturers advice...

The following is crystal clear and I totally understand what you mean here...

The uppermost PG/VG ratio (Nicotine Strength e-Juice) is the ratio of the nicotine base you have. If you have bought 100% PG nicotine then input 100% PG, 0% VG here.

The PG/VG percentages in the flavourings should in nearly all cases be set to 100% PG. Very few flavourings have a VG base, they are usually in PG. I would change these from the default setting (which is 50/50).

The target PG/VG ratio that you want (60/40) is input in the lower boxes (under resulting recipes).

Work with me on this part to further clarify as I am slightly baffled, can you perhaps try explaining it a different way? or with a working example
See attached, in which I've assumed you are using PG based nicotine liquid. Note that a 60% PG/40% VG mix cannot be done with this particular combination of ingredients at the required strength (24mg) so you will get an error message and the negative values (highlighted). The highest VG percentage you can have with this particular combination is about 18% VG, without having to either lower the strength of the liquid or reduce the amount of flavouring.

The reason for this is the flavouring takes up 15% of the total liquid, and it is counted as PG. Even without flavouring, you could not have a 60/40 mix, as exactly two thirds of it (66.67%) would have to be PG nicotine base to get a final strength of 24mg, leaving a maximum of 33.33% VG.

Based on what you are saying above, the bit I dont understand mainly, I tried manipulating figures to get an idea of the quantities required to make 5ml of a single juice, the results are as follows:

E Juice Calculator recommends the following quantities:

e juice recommendations[

However, the website calculator recommeds these following quantities:

website recommends

My Questions:

- Based on above response especially the part of your response I am having trouble grasping, the e juice software is suggesting my example single juice cannot be created as you cannot have negative values, so why does the website calc show that it can be created? I know diff calcs suggest different results but why the difference here?

- Ideally I want to use the e juice software full time as you can mix more then 1 flavour and it appears more accurate, so how can I make my single juice 5ml e juice so that the PG value in the "resulting receipe" section shows 0% whilst the other values are accurate? What must I do to get the optimum values to have good tasting juice and omit the negative values?

- After trial and error I notice changing the resulting receipes PG/VG to 70%PG and 30%VG removes the negatives as shown in the below image

70 / 30 mix removes negative values

As you can see changing the resulting receipes mix from 60%PG / 40%VG to 70%PG / 30%VG removes the negatives values...

So is it safe to conclude to make 5ml juice 60%PG and 40% VG will not simply work at my required ml quantity? if yes, then how many ml would i need to make to keep the final resulting reciept at 60%PG and 40% VG as in my opinion a 70%PG / 30%VG will be too strong me?

What values do I need to manipulate to get the PG level in the resulting receipe to a 0 and not a negative value?

To try and answer my own question, I dont think it can be done, when I try and change the final resulting receipes PG/VG values, the only values that work to remove the PG negative value in the program is to stick with a 70% - 30% mix which I dont want...

Please help and advice - sorry for the tons of questions I do however feel I am very close to cracking it, I just need to know what I need to do to get a 60/40 mix...

Thank you so much for extended help and support

Last edited:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I believe the issue you are having is that the calculator can not handle the 10% water and that is what is throwing your calculation off.
Also having a different base strength will effect your outcome. A stronger base will require less giving you more flexibility. The weaker your base nic strength will limit the mixtures you can come up with.

If you reduce the target nic level you are aiming for you will get closer but that is why a stronger base would help.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
OK hopefully this will be explain better ;)

The most you can have is 100%. 100% represents the total amount.

To make 24mg strength juice with a 36mg per ml base, your finished juice needs to contain 2/3rd of your PG/nicotine base. Or 67% (rounded up, lets keep decimal points out of this :) ). That cannot change. If there is a higher percentage of nicotine base, the juice will be stronger than 24mg/ml. If its a lower percentage of nicotine base, it will be weaker than 24mg/ml.

So take 67% from 100%, and you are left with 33% which you can use for flavourings and VG.

You are using 15% flavourings (which remember we are counting as PG), so take that off the 33% (33-15) = 18. So that means the most VG you can have in your mix is 18%.

Remember, you are working in percentages so this will be the same if you are making 3ml or 100ml of juice. If you want more VG in the mix the answer (without buying anything else) is to either reduce the strength or reduce the flavouring.

And yes as bstedh has said the calculator does not allow for water being in the nicotine base, so basically you are going to have to wing it - either assume it's not there, or assume it's VG. I would tend to ignore it..

Last edited:

xirokx

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
North London, UK
thanks for your replies,

And yes as bstedh has said the calculator does not allow for water being in the nicotine base, so basically you are going to have to wing it - either assume it's not there, or assume it's VG. I would tend to ignore it..

so in that case I need to use 100% in my calculations and not 90% PG as my base nicotine strength...

I understand your percentages example clearly however do not know how I can convert that into ML of quantites required to mix

I don't understand how I can wing it

Can we use my below as example

To make 1 flavour - Passionfruit

PG 100% VG 0%
Base Strength 36%
Target Strength 24%
Amount to produce 5ml
1 Flavour 10%
Resulting receipe = 60% PG and 40% VG

As you can see from my example I am getting a negative PG value in the PG part, so this is not possible? is that right?

If it is possible, please can you show me how using an example...

Thanks for all your help guys

P.S. I am starting to think it cannot be done at all, so I cannot achieve 24mg strength juice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread