What coil to use with Zeus Dual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that one next :)

Earlier today I tried my hand at making dual vertebraided (?) coils using SS 24G with 3mm ID. They turned out larger than I expected, so I could fit only one, but no regrets at this point. Ramp up time is quite good, vape is warm, flavor intense and clouds pretty serious.
Sorry, I remembered wrong, its 26G :D

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that one next :)

Earlier today I tried my hand at making dual vertebraided (?) coils using SS 24G with 3mm ID. They turned out larger than I expected, so I could fit only one, but no regrets at this point. Ramp up time is quite good, vape is warm, flavor intense and clouds pretty serious.
Judging from you using 24g I may have misunderstood the power level you are using and my advise is way off. Looking back over the thread, you are using much more power. lol

To amend my errant advice to something sensible and power efficient for your use I’d use a pair of 2.5mm 5 wrap coils made with fused clapton wire with 2 26g cores with an outer 32g wire. It’ll blow out a lot of warm vapor at around 80 watts because of the huge surface area and the lower mass of the wire gauges used should heat up relatively quick. Let me know how it works out if you try it.

If you’d want to try making the fused clapton wire yourself, it’s pretty easy to make this with a variable speed drill free hand and spin the 32g over the 2 26g cores. If you keep the core wires under 100mm long. The 2 26g wires are stiff enough to stay straight without needing a swivel on the far end to hold tension on it. I’ve made them this way many times.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Judging from you using 24g I may have misunderstood the power level you are using and my advise is way off. Looking back over the thread, you are using much more power. lol

To amend my errant advice to something sensible and power efficient for your use I’d use a pair of 2.5mm 5 wrap coils made with fused clapton wire with 2 26g cores with an outer 32g wire. It’ll blow out a lot of warm vapor at around 80 watts because of the huge surface area and the lower mass of the wire gauges used should heat up relatively quick. Let me know how it works out if you try it.

If you’d want to try making the fused clapton wire yourself, it’s pretty easy to make this with a variable speed drill free hand and spin the 32g over the 2 26g cores. If you keep the core wires under 100mm long. The 2 26g wires are stiff enough to stay straight without needing a swivel on the far end to hold tension on it. I’ve made them this way many times.
I don't necessarily want to use high wattage, but my RX Gen3 can handle 300 watts if it comes to that, so I can run pretty much any coil I want, as long as its resistance is 0.1 ohms or more. The only real limitations are the ohms, battery limits (I use 3 x VTC5) and my budget. Here in Finland nic is quite expensive due to taxes, so I'm experimenting with higher resistance coils to reduce juice consumption. Though, the current braided coil seems to be .11 ohms, but uses juice surprisingly little. Also, I'm surprised how well my batteries handle drawing over 24A from them, before this I've been too scared of overstressing them to use that kind of power.

As I corrected myself, the current braided coil is made of 26G SS. I think both ideas you presented are worth trying :) I've never made clapton wire (and I don't own a drill, but I'll get one when I have money for that) so I think that would be pretty interesting to try. I love tinkering with all kinds of stuff, computers originally, but now also coils.

I'm up for any ideas presented, no matter the difficulty. I want to try as many different builds as possible, because its really fun to make them and I'll learn more about what I like and what I'm looking for :)

Last edited:

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
I don't necessarily want to use high wattage, but my RX Gen3 can handle 300 watts if it comes to that, so I can run pretty much any coil I want, as long as its resistance is 0.1 ohms or more. The only real limitations are the ohms, battery limits (I use 3 x VTC5) and my budget. Here in Finland nic is quite expensive due to taxes, so I'm experimenting with higher resistance coils to reduce juice consumption. Though, the current braided coil seems to be .11 ohms, but uses juice surprisingly little. Also, I'm surprised how well my batteries handle drawing over 24A from them, before this I've been too scared of overstressing them to use that kind of power.

As I corrected myself, the current braided coil is made of 26G SS. I think both ideas you presented are worth trying :) I've never made clapton wire (and I don't own a drill, but I'll get one when I have money for that) so I think that would be pretty interesting to try. I love tinkering with all kinds of stuff, computers originally, but now also coils.

I'm up for any ideas presented, no matter the difficulty. I want to try as many different builds as possible, because its really fun to make them and I'll learn more about what I like and what I'm looking for :)
With my Troll and Boreas V2 RTAs I use 5 wrap clapton’s of 1 26g core with 32g over it. 2.5mm coils. They fire up quick and hit the sweet spot of the RTAs for performance. It’s not a juice sipper though. The thing is with these dual coil RTAs is that they have to have a high vapor volume to perform well so they use up juice. You can conserve more juice with a single coils RTA because the atomizer airflow is more confined around the single coil as well as being lower airflow. Besides sucking less juice it will drain your batteries less too. With that in mind I recently bought an Augvape Intake Single coil RTA and I really like it. The flavor and vapor density is very good. It conserves more juice and uses 30 watts instead of 60 watts. I wrote a post earlier about it. I use one clapton coil like I mentioned that I use in my Troll RTA and it’s perfect. It also is perfect to use on my smaller lower powered mods as well and get great performance.
1BEA2EE5-B586-4393-8E50-76E1EFA27AF7.jpeg
5A21E360-5406-4F73-A6D2-E56AB1E475E0.jpeg

Last edited:

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
With my Troll and Boreas V2 RTAs I use 5 wrap clapton’s of 1 26g core with 32g over it. 2.5mm coils. They fire up quick and hit the sweet spot of the RTAs for performance. It’s not a juice dipper though. The thing is with these dual coil RTAs is that they have to have a high vapor volume to perform well so they use up juice. You can conserve more juice with a single coils RTA because the atomizer airflow is more confined around the single coil as well as being lower airflow. Besides sucking less juice it will drain your batteries less too. With that in mind I recently bought an Augvape Intake Single coil RTA and I really like it. The flavor and vapor density is very good. It conserves more juice and uses 30 watts instead of 60 watts. I wrote a post earlier about it. I use one clapton coil like I mentioned that I use in my Troll RTA and it’s perfect. It also is perfect to use on my smaller lower powered mods as well and get great performance.
View attachment 762949 View attachment 762947
So, following that I can technically save even more on the juice using my current Zeus Dual by using single larger ID coil and restricting air flow? Less juice used would also mean less nic on every puff if I use my current nic level, right?

As soon as I have other business to Finland's dear west neighbour Sweden, I'll pick up a lot of nic base since there it costs one fourth of the cost here. Until then I'll try to conserve juice as much as humanely possible for a chain vaper like myself.

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
So, following that I can technically save even more on the juice using my current Zeus Dual by using single larger ID coil and restricting air flow? Less juice used would also mean less nic on every puff if I use my current nic level, right?

As soon as I have other business to Finland's dear west neighbour Sweden, I'll pick up a lot of nic base since there it costs one fourth of the cost here. Until then I'll try to conserve juice as much as humanely possible for a chain vaper like myself.
Well no. A single coil would work worse than 2 smaller powered coils. The problem is that more of the airflow will not pull the vapor off of the coil in that large space. If you look at that single coil RTA deck photo, the coil is in a confined area with the airflow underneath where it catches all the vapor from the coil and drawl it upward. You can try it, but I doubt you’ll like it. One big advantage of this Intake RTA is that it’s not only leakproof, but it’s the only top airflow tank that has airflow from directly under the coil instead of indirectly from the sides such as the Zeus or Blitzen. That was one big reason I bought one and I wasn’t disappointed.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Well no. A single coil would work worse than 2 smaller powered coils. The problem is that more of the airflow will not pull the vapor off of the coil in that large space. If you look at that single coil RTA deck photo, the coil is in a confined area with the airflow underneath where it catches all the vapor from the coil and drawl it upward. You can try it, but I doubt you’ll like it. One big advantage of this Intake RTA is that it’s not only leakproof, but it’s the only top airflow tank that has airflow from directly under the coil instead of indirectly from the sides such as the Zeus or Blitzen. That was one big reason I bought one and I wasn’t disappointed.
I see... So basically to minimize my consumption I should use two coils of relatively high resistance with low-ish wattage?
If that's the case, maybe I should switch to building with kanthal, since it appears to have roughly double the resistance of SS, though it also has slower ramp up time. Or just build simple coil with SS, something like the twisted or fused clapton you mentioned earlier

Reactions: Susaz

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
I see... So basically to minimize my consumption I should use two coils of relatively high resistance with low-ish wattage?
If that's the case, maybe I should switch to building with kanthal, since it appears to have roughly double the resistance of SS, though it also has slower ramp up time. Or just build simple coil with SS, something like the twisted or fused clapton you mentioned earlier

No. I think you’re on the wrong line of thinking. For a given RTA size it’s going to require a certain optimum wire surface area to produce the right volume of vapor. That surface area will always take a set amount of power to produce a desired vapor volume and temperature. Higher resistance for a given wire type means less power and less vapor. To get the desired performance you care primarily about the wire surface area and the power and then about the resistance being within the voltage and current specs of the mod. As for which metal wire to use and it’s resistive properties, it doesn’t matter. Now for SS wire, I use that because I vape by temperature and not power. What that means it that I save some battery life since the power varies by how I use it, plus the fact that the vapor temperature is always exactly perfect. Actually if your mod does TC mode, since you already use a good TC mode wire, you may want to use it to further conserve on juice, battery, and scorching the coils.

One other thing about the wire surface area. Two wires having the same area as one wire has less mass, so it heats up faster. That’s why these fancy wire configurations like claptons are popular. Lots of area with smaller wire that fires up quick. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread