What coil to use with Zeus Dual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Not sure if this is the right section for this kind of question, so admins feel free to move me if I belong somewhere else :)

Anyway, I'm sporting Zeus Dual on RX Gen3, and was wondering what kind of coil(s) I should use. Currently I'm trying single 3.5mm coil of Geekvape Caterpillar Track (SS316L, I think?), and it's a bit cool vape to my taste being somewhat bland on the flavor side. Previously I tried dual coils of the same material, but can't really wrap my head around this RTA. It's not that I don't like it, it's wonderful, but I feel something's amiss as the coils and wick seem to burn out really quickly every time. The long ramp up time is also pretty annoying as I don't like using tons of wattage since I dislike carrying spare batteries around with me.

Maybe I should try different coil material or coil type? Any suggestions are welcome :)

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Define really quick. Coils burning out implies there is a serious over wattage problem. Wicks less so. A coil should last for at least several months with dry burning. Dry burning SS is problematic though if you are using TC, but if you are your wick should be lasting even longer and not burning through to begin with.
Something is out of adjustment. The question is what? Need more data.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Define really quick. Coils burning out implies there is a serious over wattage problem. Wicks less so. A coil should last for at least several months with dry burning. Dry burning SS is problematic though if you are using TC, but if you are your wick should be lasting even longer and not burning through to begin with.
Something is out of adjustment. The question is what? Need more data.
Great thanks for the quick reply, friend. I'm just asking for some opinions on how to tweak the vape to suit my taste better.
The problem with dual coils (of the same exact wire, with smaller inner diameter though), is that they seem to wear out really fast. I like warm vape, and if I use >80W of power on coils of .13 - .18 ohms combined, I get the experience I want for around few days before coils start giving out dry hits occasionally, not to mention having to change batteries few times a day. The problem with dry hits and coil wear may be just that I'm not a very good builder (yet!)

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
The actual main point of my original question was that I am pretty unfamiliar with other coil types other than the basic coil (and parallel, not used it much either, though), wire materials other than SS316L and wire types other than pre-made clapton (and the standard wire, not used it much either, though), so I'd like to know if there was some other coil type and wire material/type which I could try to use in order to find my perfect vape with the RTA I'm having.

As I have used mostly dual SS316L clapton coils, I'm getting tired of the massive juice consumption (economy etc.), battery drain, seemingly slow ramp up time and apparently gunking them up with my 90% VG liquid (causing dry hits). I'm also looking for instructions on what is a good amount of wick (I use organic cotton).

I'm not very willing to drop VG percentage, so I'm looking for options regarding the coils.

Sorry for not pointing that out clearly right off the bat, I'm not very good at explaining stuff :(

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Great thanks for the quick reply, friend. I'm just asking for some opinions on how to tweak the vape to suit my taste better.
The problem with dual coils (of the same exact wire, with smaller inner diameter though), is that they seem to wear out really fast. I like warm vape, and if I use >80W of power on coils of .13 - .18 ohms combined, I get the experience I want for around few days before coils start giving out dry hits occasionally, not to mention having to change batteries few times a day. The problem with dry hits and coil wear may be just that I'm not a very good builder (yet!)
Doubtful. Single wire coils are very simple things especially if they are spaced coils. Wicks only last a few days at that kind of wattage so that actually sounds about right. You may get a bit more wick life with rayon but not a whole lot. Exploring TC may be a good option for you as it will lengthen coil and wick life. Maybe either try tc and keep using your SS or switch to kanthal and try dry burning your coils when they get gunked up. The wicks still aren’t going to last that long though with that kind of heat.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
My current single larger coil is sort of an exploration into unknown territory for me, since I have always used only dual coils at high wattage. I intentionally made it spaced in order to explore TC mode, but I haven't yet found time to tinker with Arctic Fox's settings to configure it. I also have 28 AWG (maybe, unfamiliar with the AWG unit) Kanthal wire, so I might try with that also, maybe initially a larger parallel coil. I've heard it heats up faster than SS.

What kind of material is rayon? I don't think I've ever encountered it

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The actual main point of my original question was that I am pretty unfamiliar with other coil types other than the basic coil (and parallel, not used it much either, though), wire materials other than SS316L and wire types other than pre-made clapton (and the standard wire, not used it much either, though), so I'd like to know if there was some other coil type and wire material/type which I could try to use in order to find my perfect vape with the RTA I'm having.
It sounds like you have the issues with claptons down pretty straight. IMHO they’re not good for a whole lot. YMMV though. There are many who disagree with me on this. As for wire the two big ones are the SS you are using and kanthalA1. Kanthal is easy to dry burn and lasts a long time but cannot do TC. SS will do TC, but is difficult to dry burn without damaging it as far as TC goes. If you’re using SS without TC though dry burn to your hearts content.
As I have used mostly dual SS316L clapton coils, I'm getting tired of the massive juice consumption (economy etc.), battery drain, seemingly slow ramp up time and apparently gunking them up with my 90% VG liquid (causing dry hits). I'm also looking for instructions on what is a good amount of wick (I use organic cotton).
The more vapor you get the more juice you will use. Lower juice consumption and less vapor are directly related. Most long term DL vapors (such as myself) eventually resort to DIY juice production to control cost, which works quite handily. MTL vaping uses far less juice, hence the higher nic concentration, but is a very different experience.
I'm not very willing to drop VG percentage, so I'm looking for options regarding the coils.

Sorry for not pointing that out clearly right off the bat, I'm not very good at explaining stuff :(
VG percentage should have very little to do with anything in this case. You’re running hot coils till they die with no dry burning.
The simplest solution is to take up dry burning and changing your wicks with greater frequency. TC is also an option. (or both). There is no easy solution to juice volume other than changing your vaping style or acquiring cheaper juice (hence DIY)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What kind of material is rayon? I don't think I've ever encountered it
Rayon is synthetic cellulose. Generally made from wood. It’s like very very pure cotton with extra long fibers. It can be bought in the USA as “cellucotton” at most beauty supply stores. There is also a thread around here somewhere about how to get it by dismantling some brands of tampons. I’ve never been attracted to smoking tampons myself though so I have not tried this method.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
That's pretty informative, thanks.

Would there be any handy recources on specific details of kanthal and different kinds of coil builds somewhere? I'm curious now :)

Also, I'm already forced to DIY all my juice, thanks to the useless laws here in Finland. Here all flavours except tobacco are banned for some unknown reason, and RY4 is as close to tobacco as I'm willing to go. Thus we have to use "foodstuff flavoring" with unflavored nic (maximum amount 20mg/mL) and VG/PG.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's pretty informative, thanks.

Would there be any handy recources on specific details of kanthal and different kinds of coil builds somewhere? I'm curious now :)

Also, I'm already forced to DIY all my juice, thanks to the useless laws here in Finland. Here all flavours except tobacco are banned for some unknown reason, and RY4 is as close to tobacco as I'm willing to go. Thus we have to use "foodstuff flavoring" with unflavored nic (maximum amount 20mg/mL) and VG/PG.
This site should be full of such information. I couldn’t tell you where though. Perhaps someone else reading this thread might be able to point it out for you. I do know SS and kanthal behave somewhat differently. A coil calculator app should be able to sort it out though. As to the flavor issue there are several brands of “food” flavorings that are really mostly meant for vaping. The diy section of this site will have more info, but iirc they include flavor art and the perfumers apprentice. Iirc there are other vapers from Finland around who may be able to point you in a useful direction. All I really know is you don’t want to use flavorings that have dydactyl or oils in them.
GL :)

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
This site should be full of such information. I couldn’t tell you where though. Perhaps someone else reading this thread might be able to point it out for you. I do know SS and kanthal behave somewhat differently. A coil calculator app should be able to sort it out though. As to the flavor issue there are several brands of “food” flavorings that are really mostly meant for vaping. The diy section of this site will have more info, but iirc they include flavor art and the perfumers apprentice. Iirc there are other vapers from Finland around who may be able to point you in a useful direction. All I really know is you don’t want to use flavorings that have dydactyl or oils in them.
GL :)
No doubt there are people from here on these forums, just waiting to encounter them for tips :)

I'm currently vaping TPA's RY4 Double, and due to being forced to do so, I have seeked out all info I could find ln DIY'ing juice. Because of legal and tax reasons, all the flavorings meant for vaping are marketed as "foodstuff flavorings" here.

Thanks for all your help mate!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No doubt there are people from here on these forums, just waiting to encounter them for tips :)

I'm currently vaping TPA's RY4 Double, and due to being forced to do so, I have seeked out all info I could find ln DIY'ing juice. Because of legal and tax reasons, all the flavorings meant for vaping are marketed as "foodstuff flavorings" here.

Thanks for all your help mate!
This link may help you E-Liquid Recipes

• Useful

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
Not sure if this is the right section for this kind of question, so admins feel free to move me if I belong somewhere else :)

Anyway, I'm sporting Zeus Dual on RX Gen3, and was wondering what kind of coil(s) I should use. Currently I'm trying single 3.5mm coil of Geekvape Caterpillar Track (SS316L, I think?), and it's a bit cool vape to my taste being somewhat bland on the flavor side. Previously I tried dual coils of the same material, but can't really wrap my head around this RTA. It's not that I don't like it, it's wonderful, but I feel something's amiss as the coils and wick seem to burn out really quickly every time. The long ramp up time is also pretty annoying as I don't like using tons of wattage since I dislike carrying spare batteries around with me.

Maybe I should try different coil material or coil type? Any suggestions are welcome :)

What should work beautifully for your wattage would be twisted SS 28g, 2.5mm dual coils, 5 wraps. You can’t get too fancy with the wire at lower powers. This will give you a quick ramp up and plenty of surface area for vapor.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
What should work beautifully for your wattage would be twisted SS 28g, 2.5mm dual coils, 5 wraps. You can’t get too fancy with the wire at lower powers. This will give you a quick ramp up and plenty of surface area for vapor.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that one next :)

Earlier today I tried my hand at making dual vertebraided (?) coils using SS 24G with 3mm ID. They turned out larger than I expected, so I could fit only one, but no regrets at this point. Ramp up time is quite good, vape is warm, flavor intense and clouds pretty serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread