Question about overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Few days ago I changed a new DIY vertebraided (?) SS316L coil to my Zeus Dual, and until yesterday it worked just fine. Now when I vape, battery temp slowly creeps towards 75°C, which annoyingly causes overheat cutoff. Coil resistance also sways a bit, from 0.11 to 0.19 ohms.

I haven't checked up on the coil itself yet because the tank is not empty, so I was just wondering whether I should prepare new coil or have I set up something incorrectly. It's single coil, and I vape it at 75W, 23.4A, 3.21V. batteries are 3x VTC5 in RX Gen3. juice is 10% TPA RY4 Double and 90% VG.

Reactions: stols001

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
I opened up the build deck and the coil looks pretty charred. That might be the cause for overheating, and maybe swaying resistance was faulty installation since it happened right from the beginning.
61d2ffc8924e9a5fa4be8e3d4b9488ee.jpg
d8fea2f3cfe3df011003e0d5af6a59c2.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Few days ago I changed a new DIY vertebraided (?) SS316L coil to my Zeus Dual, and until yesterday it worked just fine. Now when I vape, battery temp slowly creeps towards 75°C, which annoyingly causes overheat cutoff. Coil resistance also sways a bit, from 0.11 to 0.19 ohms.

I haven't checked up on the coil itself yet because the tank is not empty, so I was just wondering whether I should prepare new coil or have I set up something incorrectly. It's single coil, and I vape it at 75W, 23.4A, 3.21V. Batteries are 3x VTC5 in RX Gen3. Juice is 10% TPA RY4 Double and 90% VG.

SS316L coils rise in resistance with heat and fall when they cool. That's how your mod monitors and controls the temperature of your vape.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Is that cotton or rayon? It looks slightly underwicked to me if it's cotton, but I can't really tell because of your monster coil.

If you do use cotton, in a build like that one (it looks like it might uh, require some wattage) I might consider trying rayon for longevity it can withstand higher heat and wattages for longer.

If you do find yourself interested, well, rayon solved ALL my wicking problems every last one of them. The good folks on this thread can get you up and running with it pretty easily. I mean, seriously, for me, it was like 2 questions, 3 answer, and a couple follow ups and ALL my wicking problems were solved. Good luck!

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Anna

tr1boon

Aug 15, 2018
Oulu, Finland
Is that cotton or rayon? It looks slightly underwicked to me if it's cotton, but I can't really tell because of your monster coil.

If you do use cotton, in a build like that one (it looks like it might uh, require some wattage) I might consider trying rayon for longevity it can withstand higher heat and wattages for longer.

If you do find yourself interested, well, rayon solved ALL my wicking problems every last one of them. The good folks on this thread can get you up and running with it pretty easily. I mean, seriously, for me, it was like 2 questions, 3 answer, and a couple follow ups and ALL my wicking problems were solved. Good luck!

Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Anna

It's cotton, because that's what I've always used. I'd love to try rayon, but I have no idea where to find it in Finland.

I run the coil with 75W, and I think it would work better with even higher wattage, but I'm too afraid of overheating and dry hits to try :(

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
It's cotton, because that's what I've always used. I'd love to try rayon, but I have no idea where to find it in Finland.

I run the coil with 75W, and I think it would work better with even higher wattage, but I'm too afraid of overheating and dry hits to try :(
Make a post in the Rayon thread (link in my sig), you might find good answers there about availability or some of the members might even send you some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread