Net experts: is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Hi all, i am a DYIer but never ventured into NET extraction. Based on what I've read I think what would suit me the best is the no-heat maceration (for a minimum of 2 weeks). Now i was wondering if it would make any sense to try that maceration using ready nicotine compound (lets say 75%vg/25%pg), 12mg solution instead of using VG. Please be gentle lol...newbe question... :)

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You can give it a try but I would use 100% PG and a four week soak for a cold maceration. Your going to use your extract like a DIY flavor concentrate. Figuring out your other additives will be a lot easier with the 100% PG.

If you still want to go with the 75/25 VG/PG 12 mg. solvent, you might want to follow through in your thinking to the end result. You end up with an already mixed concentrate. How are you going to dilute it? You've got a super-strong already mixed concentrate that needs dilution.

I know you want to say, " But it's already mixed " and I say, " Yes, but it's still concentrated, how are you going to tame it down? "

After 80+ NET maceration's under my belt I've learned, nothing beats time for good flavor. You can use all the heat, alcohol, etc. but a long soak in PG will get you good flavor every time. That is, if it's there to begin with. :)

Hi all, i am a DYIer but never ventured into NET extraction. Based on what I've read I think what would suit me the best is the no-heat maceration (for a minimum of 2 weeks). Now i was wondering if it would make any sense to try that maceration using ready nicotine compound (lets say 75%vg/25%pg), 12mg solution instead of using VG. Please be gentle lol...newbe question... :)

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
You can give it a try but I would use 100% PG and a four week soak for a cold maceration. Your going to use your extract like a DIY flavor concentrate. Figuring out your other additives will be a lot easier with the 100% PG.

If you still want to go with the 75/25 VG/PG 12 mg. solvent, you might want to follow through in your thinking to the end result. You end up with an already mixed concentrate. How are you going to dilute it? You've got a super-strong already mixed concentrate that needs dilution.

I know you want to say, " But it's already mixed " and I say, " Yes, but it's still concentrated, how are you going to tame it down? "

After 80+ NET maceration's under my belt I've learned, nothing beats time for good flavor. You can use all the heat, alcohol, etc. but a long soak in PG will get you good flavor every time. That is, if it's there to begin with. :)

I didn't know it would be a concentrate, I was thinking about infusing the tobacco flavor to the nicotine compound. Would it be possible using less tobacco cut and more nicotine mix?
And thank you very much for your responses, Bagazo and Boomerdude!

Last edited:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oh okay, you said maceration. Infusion is a whole different story. I'm not experienced with infusion but maybe someone else will chime in.

I didn't know it would be a concentrate, I was thinking about infusing the tobacco flavor to the nicotine compound. Would it be possible using less tobacco cut and more nicotine mix?
And thank you very much for your responses, Bagazo and Boomerdude!

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Oh okay, you said maceration. Infusion is a whole different story. I'm not experienced with infusion but maybe someone else will chime in.
Maceration seems to mean that the object being macerated is being dissolved, I don't really think that that is what is happening with nets. You seem to have more expereince, is this what is happening?

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009

yes, sorry...:( - i am sure my wording was bad there. I'll try to make 2 batches at the same time, one conventionally (Tobacco and PG) and the other infused: Tobacco and Nicotine solution) this one probably with half the tobacco proportion and double of nicotine compound. I also was -wishfully- thinking that on the infused one I will place the tobacco cuts inside some kind of "filter bag" (kinda tea bags but larger) to help reducing final concentration and reducing a bit the final filtering. Do you think it would "work"?

Thanks!

Last edited:

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Without doing the math, the nic is the expensive part. Soaking tobacco in plain pg or vg is inexpensive. After filtering you have a flavoring that can be added to your pre made solution (most call that a base). Filtering will surely waste some of the liquid so you want to do this as cheap as possible.

Soaking tobacco for 4 weeks seems to produce a strong enough liquid after filtering that adding 20% or less to your base gives a vapable liquid after allowing time to steep.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Your using a solvent ( PG ) to extract ( macerate ) the flavor molecules from the tobacco.

Maceration seems to mean that the object being macerated is being dissolved, I don't really think that that is what is happening with nets. You seem to have more expereince, is this what is happening?

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nope. In my mind, you're operating from a faulty premise. Saving steps by using a base liquid as your solvent. You're not saving any steps as you have to do it anyway, whether before or after. I think you would just be wasting tobacco performing the second step " infusion " but sometimes we just have to experiment.

yes, sorry...:( - i am sure my wording was bad there. I'll try to make 2 batches at the same time, one conventionally (Tobacco and PG) and the other infused: Tobacco and Nicotine solution) this one probably with half the tobacco proportion and double of nicotine compound. I also was -wishfully- thinking that on the infused one I will place the tobacco cuts inside some kind of "filter bag" (kinda tea bags but larger) to help reducing final concentration and reducing a bit the final filtering. Do you think it would "work"?

Thanks!

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Your using a solvent ( PG ) to extract ( macerate ) the flavor molecules from the tobacco.
Yeah but that is the definition of infusión as well:
Infusion is the process of extracting chemical compounds or flavors from plant material in a solvent such as water, oil or alcohol, by allowing the material to remain suspended in the solvent over time (a process often called steeping).

Infusion from Wikipedia

Last edited:

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work and I just placed the tobacco from a cig in 10ml of 25mg/ml juice to see what I get.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
as costly as nic juice is.... I wouldnt want to waste any in the soaking/pressing process.

When I was doing VG soaks, I would loose around 20% original volume of the VG.... that equates to about 20ml of lost VG that I just couldnt coax from the tobacco even after a good pressing...
I have to come clean and say that the only reason I am trying this is because someone said that it wouldn't work.

Math time: I placed about 1g of tobacco in 10ml of of 25mg/ml juice. With a half hearted pressing I got back 9ml of 50/50 pg/vg and whatever it could drag out in a handful of hours.

Seems like I lost 25mg of nic but 1g of tobacco at 3% nic content is 30mg so I'm thinking that I probably broke even and maybe, just maybe, got a little more in return.

I'm not a flavor hound, hope that label doesn't offend, but my target is that something that is missing in nic only juice. I know that there is WTA but it is just too expensive and if I add the cost of shipping it leaves me with no choice but to light up.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
I have to come clean and say that the only reason I am trying this is because someone said that it wouldn't work.

Math time: I placed about 1g of tobacco in 10ml of of 25mg/ml juice. With a half hearted pressing I got back 9ml of 50/50 pg/vg and whatever it could drag out in a handful of hours.

Seems like I lost 25mg of nic but 1g of tobacco at 3% nic content is 30mg so I'm thinking that I probably broke even and maybe, just maybe, got a little more in return.

I'm not a flavor hound, hope that label doesn't offend, but my target is that something that is missing in nic only juice. I know that there is WTA but it is just too expensive and if I add the cost of shipping it leaves me with no choice but to light up.

Very interesting, Bagazo. Please keep us informed of your results.

The only reason I started this thread, which I forgot to disclose, is because I have a fair amount of 12mg/ml nicotine solution, and I vape precisely 12mg. If i make a separate PG concentrate and mix it at 20% with my nicotine, it will be around 9mg/ml.

I am conscious about nicotine price and I hate wasting it, but i would be ok with wasting 10 or 20ml of it if i were obtaining like 50ml of a nice tobacco infusion.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
The only reason I started this thread, which I forgot to disclose, is because I have a fair amount of 12mg/ml nicotine solution, and I vape precisely 12mg. If i make a separate PG concentrate and mix it at 20% with my nicotine, it will be around 9mg/ml.

That makes it easy then. Just do a standard maceration with your 12mg nic solution as a solvent. When you need to dilute it down, the nic concentration of 12mg will not change because both the extract and your nic base are at 12mg. The only difficult part I see is that your nic base is 75% VG so the filtering will not be as easy as straight PG.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
This is also a good solution but I must say that I felt flavor in the 1 to 10 ratio, even thought it only sat for a couple of hours. I can't say how it compares to a liquid with the typical 5-10% net, but it's there.

My goal is the other alkaloids and the 1 to 5 didn't really kick but it has been almost 2 days and I have not snuck a cig. While this is a good thing I went ahead and made up a 1g to 1ml batch but this was straight 50/50.

Interestingly, I got every last bit back. I used a 2 ml syringe. Having damaged a couple plungers, I seperated the rubber part of the plunger from the weak plastic and pushed it into the syringe cylinder, then used a metal rod and a caulking gun. I'm sure the small diameter had much to do with it but also the sturdier plunger helped.

Having to use this much tobacco has left me thinking that it would be easier just to get an Ago.

Last edited:

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Newbie Here So Only Just Seen This!.....
I've Done This & it Works Fine!
100ml 36mg. 50/50 Base;
Approx. 20g. Red Virginia Leaf;
Put in a Mug;
Squash & Stir;
Cover With Cling-Film;
Leave Steeping for 4 Weeks, With Occasional Stir.

I Then Knocked the Nic. % Down to 18mg. With VG/PG....For 1st Batch, 2nd Batch...Did the Same, But With Separate VG & PG Steeps That I'd Done Beforehand. This 2nd Batch Was Far Superior in Flavour to the 1st........Which in Turn Was Better Than the 1st Tries That I Did Using the Steep as a 30 (& Then 40%..) Concentrate.
Yes, You Lose Some When Filtering But It's Still Cheaper Than a Bought 'Ready-Made'.
.....But Since Reading Methods Espoused on Here, Involving Longer Steeping Periods For Concentrates.....I'm Going Back to PG+Vodka to Make Concentrate!....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread