What do you do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatherman

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Atlanta GA
Well my offical title is Sr Hardware Anaylst and Systems Administrator which is just long for freaking computer geek. I work for a large home builder (don't shoot me I just fix the crap they break not break the crap you buy) Lab I use to be in to the whole RC heli thing but just don't have time which is said as i have three helis, one plane and RC SIM that is just collecting dust.. SAD..

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
I'm a telephone tech for the government (contractor). I was in the army and that's what my job was. Basically I run phone & data cable, install phones, fix phones, & take care of the outside cable on poles & in manholes on our army base. It's funny, because I'm both a girly girl and a tomboy at the same time!

I live an hour and a half from my work and seems like I'm never home. I get up at 4:30 every morning and don't get home until 6. Then my weekends are filled with cleaning and golfing, so I hardly have time to do a damn thing!

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I feel like a lazy bum now!

Me too, Jules ! I stay at home all day, but it's because I care for my 85 y/o MIL, who has dementia. I'm very afraid that when I'm able to go back to work, I will have been out of the job market too long for anyone to consider hiring me. And I'm only 51, so too young to retire.

Bubbakinns

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Central Coast, Ca
I knew we were kindered spirits...bassets....and i also work as a 911 / police dispatcher....i was on the hostage negotiations team but resigned awhile back..too old for the really sad stuff. Sad enough with what i do !

OMG, that is just crazy, we really are kindred spirits! How long have you been doing it? I'm nearing my 16 year mark. I work for a consolidated dispatch center that does all 911/non emer and dispatching for 14 police & 17 fire agencies, I'm one of a handful of our dispatchers that can work every channel in our department.

And, a little brag here ... I was awarded Dispatcher of the year for 2009 and got my award a few weeks ago :w00t:

shatner

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
Houston, Tx.
Air traffic controller for the last 21 1/2 years!!!

That's freakin' awesome. I bet it can get uber-stressful. 8-o

Do I really have to answer this? j/k

I'm a flameworker, or glassblower by trade. But not in the traditional 'furnace and crucible' style you're probably familiar with. I work with hard glass (Pyrex, Simax, etc.) by putting glass tube of various diameter (20mm all the way up to 55mm, or ~2 inch diameter) directly into an oxygen/propane torch flame. The glass tube I use as a 'blank' is welded to a smaller diameter tube, or blowpipe ~12mm diameter that stays out of the flame. I use heat and gravity to shape and my breath to keep the vessel inflated and also help shape. I specialize in pipe making, jewelry and wine glasses. I've been doing it for around 6 years and don't plan on stopping until my body doesn't allow me to move in the ways necessary of a Flameworker.

Gunjji

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
home.comcast.net
"A" Operator for IBEW Local 126, running a Directional Drill for PPL in PA. Company lost contract and had a massive lay-off. Just started back to work putting up Solar Panels on utility poles all over New Jersey while I start my apprenticeship training for Outside Lineman on weekends.

Its cool...hours are 6-4pm, put 15 panels up and get to go home, paid for 10hrs.... Today we started our 1st panel at 6:20 and our last panel was up by 9:20, BAM, 10hrs!!

emberl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2009
florida
I had my own little company, started in 1990, I designed/created and made window treatments, pillows, valances, roman shades, bed skirts etc.
Of and on I had 1 or 2 people helping me, depending on how busy I was.
Now there's no more business.
People don't have money for luxuries anymore.
So I'm done.
But it's okay.
Now I have time to do whatever I want and spend time with friends family and 2 adorable granddaughters.
Life is good!

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I feel like a lazy bum now!

LOL I know exactly what you mean! I lost my identity when I couldn't work anymore. It's funny how when you work you wish you didn't have to and when you can't you would give anything to be able to. I was a fairly successful business owner, pilot, volunteer and now I feel like a bum. I love product development and I've been helping a new business with ideas so that has given me a feeling of purpose. I still know stuff... does that count? :rolleyes:

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
My fiance does most of the real work. I build custom computers for people now and again and I keep the house clean and laundry done.

You're a jack of all trades type! My son is like that too. He loves doing the computer thing. The loft upstairs is full of computers that he is working on. He can usually fix one pretty easy.

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
OMG, that is just crazy, we really are kindred spirits! How long have you been doing it? I'm nearing my 16 year mark. I work for a consolidated dispatch center that does all 911/non emer and dispatching for 14 police & 17 fire agencies, I'm one of a handful of our dispatchers that can work every channel in our department.

And, a little brag here ... I was awarded Dispatcher of the year for 2009 and got my award a few weeks ago :w00t:

Congrats ! Been at this department for 20 years...before that 5 at another one. I work for a city govt, dispatch it all, fire, police, ambulance, Ncic as well as other city services when they have gone home for the night. Work 12 hour shifts...which is a killer. But i work 4 days then have 4 days off which is the absolute best.

Nothing like it in the world is there ? Heard it all, seen most...lol

Full time dad and Assembly Technician for Dana Corp UAW local 3064

FYI, if you drive any Jeep, SRT, Ford F250 or 350 SD, or Econoline I built the axles your vehicle sits on :)
had 2 different SRT vehicles...SRT 10 Ram....viper motor=fast and also had SRT6 crossfire... 6 cylinder, super charged with 150 shot of nitrous= way faster than the SRT10:D....had a wrangler too...so i guess you built 3 of my axles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread