Status
Not open for further replies.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Well, any less than perfect connection within the mod he put the 18650 into could cause higher voltage drop at the atomizer connector. Besides, I couldn't put that eGo battery in my mods now could I? :laugh: Seriously, though, for a true comparison he should have done a more ideal setup with that 18650 and eliminated the possibility of the mod interfering with the under load voltage :2c: I guess the video does make a good marketing point

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Well, any less than perfect connection within the mod he put the 18650 into could cause higher voltage drop at the atomizer connector. Besides, I couldn't put that eGo battery in my mods now could I? :laugh: Seriously, though, for a true comparison he should have done a more ideal setup with that 18650 and eliminated the possibility of the mod interfering with the under load voltage :2c: I guess the video does make a good marketing point

I feel like the marketing is the whole point of the video. Has anyone else gotten this weak of results from IMR batteries underload.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
In my opinion it boils down to how efficient the electronics in the Mod are, the Ego has a PWM set up and he is comparing this to a mod with no chip in it and there's the difference. It's just not an apples vs Apples comparison, do that same test putting that 18650 in say a Provari vs his Ego and see what happens then, ya need to compare apples to apples in my opinion.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
A Reo Grand with an AW IMR will put out about 3.1V under load with an HH-357 on it, but again that is not an Apples vs Apples comparison,,,, you would have to test that Ego vs a pwm Mod to get a fair comparison which would be a VV Mod like say a Provari for a comparison. But that Ego is a good one to be putting out 4.2v but like I said how long will it hold that 4.2v ? not long, the voltage will drop off quickly, ask him to graph how long that Ego holds the 4.2v and show the voltage Drop, unlike the Provari it will have voltage drop off,,, so all in all it's just NOT a fair test.

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
In my opinion, most likely it is a poorly designed mod with a weak link in it causing the voltage drop , or they have counterfeit IMR batteries. The video almost makes me want to buy a 1100 ego , Not.

Edit: after looking at the video again the mod itself it is anodized aluminium. Anodized aluminum adds a huge amount of resistance to the tube which is used for a conductor. thus resulting in a poor functioning mod.

Last edited:

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
It's funny but his 1100 slb eGo looks exactly like the 1100 Rivas that I bought Dec 2010. As far as I know they aren't PWM. I have a v meter like his and it won't read the PWM voltage of a real eGo. The clue is his is reading 4.2 off the charger. If you put a LR atty on that device it will soon fry the switch mosfet. I think he paid too much for his AW(?) batts. But my Rivas are still working good at $20 apiece. lol

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Nothing like a video professing a wild claim from someone who doesn't know that they hell they're talking about. There' something wrong with that guy's mod or his battery. Using those same batteries, I see less than a tenth of a volt sag with my mods, more like a half a tenth.

Voltage sag can be important, but with the low cell resistances you normally see with IMR and ICR cells, it's far from a significant benchmark.

A proper test would be to load the cells with equivalent power and compare the discharge curve between them. I bet you would see what you'd expect when comparing an 1100mAh ICR cell to a 1600mAh IMR cell. The ICR cell would see a little more sag and the curve would be shorter.

Get a clue buddy.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
It's funny but his 1100 slb eGo looks exactly like the 1100 Rivas that I bought Dec 2010. As far as I know they aren't PWM. I have a v meter like his and it won't read the PWM voltage of a real eGo. The clue is his is reading 4.2 off the charger. If you put a LR atty on that device it will soon fry the switch mosfet. I think he paid too much for his AW(?) batts. But my Rivas are still working good at $20 apiece. lol
They probably are the same, as far as I can tell the Rivas have used a few manufacturers. Being around a while I really don't trust anything SLB/DSE. Maybe they have gotten better (they obviously spend nothing on R&D as everything they make is a knock-off), but their original 510 batts were horrible and quite problematic.

Even though I don't like the guy in the vid he later apologized for the test, saying either the PV or the cell was bad. Although not the most accurate PV test the unloaded volts of 4.25 looked good. When pbusardo did the same thing with a new Bolt he only got 4.08V, not good.

As far as the Panasonic CGR18650CH being a 'super bat', it's decent especially since you can get them for < $10. Note though Panasonic's 2250mAh rating is based on "Discharge:constant current, 430mA". What's interesting is Sanyo makes a 1500mAh high drain cell, but they base the mAh on a 10A discharge rate.

For volts.

These are naked cell tests with a 2Ω resistor fresh off the charger.

Panasonic CGR18650CH - 4.06V

Tenergy2600 - 3.91V

Running a tanked 2Ω (actually 2.2Ω metered) Boge carto the Tenergy was the clear winner for vapetime. For normal amp loads I look for the mAh, not some un-needed high drain capabilities.

FWIW although the latest Trustfire2400s aren't testing like the ones from last year the new TF3000 Flames look quite good.

TrustFire%20TF18650%203000mAh%20(Flame)-Capacity.png

Although only coming in at ~2600mAh those are good numbers, even at a 5A drain, where one would expect the 'cheap China' cell to stumble. Also note each trace is actually 2 cells/tests. Some nice consistency there. Quite 'matched'.

And if you look a pair can be found ~$10.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
They probably are the same, as far as I can tell the Rivas have used a few manufacturers. Being around a while I really don't trust anything SLB/DSE.......... And if you look a pair can be found ~$10.

WB, I like your professional "no BS" approach and comments. Pure, to the point, scientific. Really worth the read.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I agree you should not use the high drain cells unless you have a specific need for them. Their primary advantage is the higher drain rate so unless you specifically need it, you're pretty much giving up run time without a big benefit. However, if you take a look at the discharge curves for the CGR18650CH here, you can see it competes nicely with the cells graphed above. It has a couple tenths less voltage sag and a higher drain limit. It comes at a cost of only a couple hundred mAh in charge capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread