Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Heh, it's just an old gaming username of mine. I once played a MMORPG called Star Wars: Galaxies, and my character name was Angus in a guild named Avian Technology And Trade (ATAT). The acronym fit nicely in the Star Wars theme.

Interesting. I thought you were a cattle farmer. Perhaps selling Kobe beef. lol.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Interesting. I thought you were a cattle farmer. Perhaps selling Kobe beef. lol.

I keep thinking he works for AT&T...............As for Angus, I was just thinking it was one of those weird European family name things best not mentioned in polite company............

FizzleFisch

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Lake Travis - Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder4U
It happens often once the OPs question has been answered the rest just kinda derail the thread. I am guilty of it too here but I do try to keep on topic until the OPs question has been answered.

Tangents are addictive.

....boy you got that right Porphy!!

But I suspect it's cos the sins of the cot only relate to deviant cosecs....
... which, of course, is only a case of perverted secs.:rolleyes:

:D

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The idea that there is some kind of plot to control people here is just plain ridiculous.

Members can do what the hell they like as long as it doesn't offend others or offend the Moderators for good reason or cause my mailbox to get full of complaints or break a Rule that is clearly laid out in black & white and get caught doing it and flaunting it.

Fair enough? To be honest I'm sick of hearing about plots here, and all the childish whingeing that goes with it. When I came here I was amazed that people had time for all these childish schemes and machinations. Don't they have a life?

Once again: people - that's Members or Suppliers - can do what they like if it doesn't contravene the cases I laid out above.

If something is going to disrupt the forum or offend somebody then JUST DON'T DO IT. How much simpler does it have to get? We don't have time to get involved with forum wars, or silly plots, or Stalinist regimentation. We don't do that and we don't allow it to happen.

I just made two posts on this in the Forum news section to clarify it yet again, due to the silly rumours floating around. I can assure you that I won't allow any replies to the attacks we get, and neither will the mods. We just don't do that. If you know different them please tell me by PM.

Next subject: favouritism, aka 'certain people being allowed to break the rules'.

As far as I know it doesn't exist, per se, but there might just be the odd case because of some 'history'. Remember I've only been here three months. Also keep in mind that ECF Approved Suppliers aka forum sponsors are allowed to have three persons registered to assist them.

The idea that I would think of Mr Shining Wit as a 'favourite' is fairly laughable as I just had to give him some treatment for insulting me. However as it was just before Xmas I was feeling generous and let him out early. Also I kept in mind that he was most likely under considerable stress at that time, as many are. So instead of just banning him as a PITA I let him off. So I guess you can see that he's is not my #1 guy, perhaps?

I even left his rant in place and didn't delete it, you can find it and read it. However it reads just a little bit silly now :D

Not sure if you're aware but there was a continual battle here to stop the Suppliers spamming the forums, before the current rules came in to prohibit them from posting in some forums. It works just fine now, but if all of them started up posting/advertising in the Members' areas again, it would be a nightmare and back to square one. So we stamp on it hard if we see it. It's up to Suppliers to be very very careful where they post. The trouble is, it doesn't matter how many times we ask them not to advertise when they post, they just can't help themselves. So the blanket rule is: no posting in proscribed forums. Sorted.

Now if for example Letzin Hale never posted any advert spam, and acted sensibly, and seeing as the Supplier is allowed a couple of helpers, and if the Mods never had any cause to look at him closely, then why worry too much. However I am extremely tolerant of course, bordering on relaxed and permissive to the extreme - but that may not apply to the Mods as they handle all that side of it. I don't overrule them on forum admnistration matters, they are the experts, not me. They have to handle all the aggro, the spam and obscenities and nutcases who want to destroy, and work hour after hour keeping this forum clean for everyone. Let's face it, this forum is about the cleanest high-traffic board you'll find anywhere.

Also, we are the respectable face of ecigarette use and supply. The authorities come here first to check up. That applies globally as we are the worldwide face of PV use. You might find that people like the FDA and ASH check here daily. This is no problem at all since the place is clean and respectable, and offers the best range of facilities and support you'll find anywhere. Just ask yourself - and be honest - which single website would you like a regulatory authority official to visit first for information? I don't think you'll have any trouble answering that - whoever you are. And there are very good reasons for it.

So I'm honestly hoping that no Mod will come to me and say, "This guy is a multiple ID, we're going to nuke him, and ban his main ID, maybe sanction the Supplier as well - no issues?" Because as far as I'm concerned if people just behave themselves everything is hunkydory. That would be going too far for me. And bear in mind I have no great love for the guy OK? :)

I need to repeat to you that if people don't trash the forum up I see no problem. But I don't overrule the Mods on their patch.

Let's look at those 3 conditions I mentioned above:
if it doesn't offend others
or offend the Moderators for good reason
or cause my mailbox to get full of complaints

#1 - The baseline is, you can't offend others. Period. We let stuff go in the Outside but anyone who goes there has got to know they will find enough political and religious and other things there that will offend sensitive people. That's the safety valve - within reason of course.

#2 - You really don't want to annoy the Mods because your time here will be short, otherwise. This site is here for all people from all walks of life. If you wouldn't like your granny or your 18-year old daughter to see it, we don't want it here. Go and stick it elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with material that is not for family viewing (ie any family member anywhere, over 18, here) but there is a time and a place for it. Go to the right place please, it's not here.

#3 - What some people don't seem to realise is that they only see a fraction of what goes on. For example, when a Supplier posts in a forum where they shouldn't, ten people email and PM me and send in Reports about 'supplier spam'. The clever Supplier who thinks he is so innocent doesn't see that. I get it all.

So - as I say, just be cool and there are no problems. There are no plots because I really, really don't have time for that. You may have, but I have a life.

There may be one or two favourites. They are probably people who have done a whole lot for this place and keep their noses clean - mainly because that's the way they are. If somebody helps us out bigtime they rack up the Brownie points, can't argue with that [translation: they put some tolerance deposits in the bank]

Also I let people get away with stuff if they don't take liberties. Why not, if they are sensible - who wants a fight. No one in their right mind. I just don't have time for all this petty scheming. I had to reply to this latest stuff with a news update as one was due anyway, plus Troll Central have started emailing suppliers and I need to keep them in the loop.

But don't cross the Mods, they are up all hours of the night cleaning the trash, some days they are not in a good mood, not surprising seeing the loonies they have to deal with. I should show you some of the emails we get from them - just unbelievable. Even a first-year psychiatry student could diagnose them from one email...

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
You have no idea...............

or do i ......
raise_eyebrow.gif

braindead0

Moved On
Jun 9, 2009
.... off ECF
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
[...] I should show you some of the emails we get from them - just unbelievable. Even a first-year psychiatry student could diagnose them from one email...

Please, please, please post them in the "OUTSIDE!" sub-forum! I so love to read posts by insane people, it makes me feel so smart and superior. :D

We can make fun of them and hurt their feelings in the "OUTSIDE!" sub-forum, right? Dang. That's probably a blanket rule.

*sigh*

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@beckah
Yes :)

The fact is, we (as far as I know anyway) don't bother about anything except stuff that will disrupt and destroy.

There is another forum that is a central place for those who are banned from here to plot attacks on ECF. All we do is defend against those attacks. Pretty simple I would have thought, yes? Especially as we don't allow any kind of reciprocal actions. And as I am an easy-going guy, I will forget all about that as long as the attacks stop - that's all there is to it. Simple, you would have thought?

There is nothing to worry about by the way - the Mods here are superb and clean the trash real fast. Not a problem.

@Tauki
PS: please don't get pissy... im just messing with you

Guy, you can do what you like here, it really isn't a problem. As you've seen re. my last post about one feller in particular, you can even attack me and I'll let it go. I'm not too bothered. But don't step over the line, is all. The line is: hurting this forum.

I can't speak for the Mods though :)

Just in case there are some rumours or something that we squash any criticism or whatever, as far as I know that's incorrect. If someone goes over the line they get hit. You'd have to be deliberately confrontational or trolling to get that reaction. If you know different then PM me with facts.

All I know is we keep this place clean against a ton of attacks. Hundreds a day if you include the web bot attacks and hack attempts. Maybe when a Mod has been up all night deleting multiple ID spam they are a bit too tetchy - who knows. To be on the safe side, don't try to disrupt and destroy, is all.

Every now and then I like to post something on what my position is in regard to current events, it's only fair to keep people in the loop. But I have never in 10 years of pro web work seen anything like this as a rumour factory, it's out of this world. Just unbelievable. Fun though :)

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I just have one off-topic question for Elendil:

Who is the person in your avatar and what is he smoking?? 8-o

It is a cropped version of this photo:

bree_aragorn.jpg

And of course that is Strider aka Aragorn son of Arathorn Isuldur's heir (son of Elendil), king of Gondor...............

He is smoking a pipe.

I use him as my avatar, since i am told I bear a striking resemblance.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Please, please, please post them in the "OUTSIDE!" sub-forum! I so love to read posts by insane people, it makes me feel so smart and superior. :D

We can make fun of them and hurt their feelings in the "OUTSIDE!" sub-forum, right? Dang. That's probably a blanket rule.

*sigh*

Ah...but... you haven't read the news article about "smoking and mental illness"!! :rolleyes:

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Roly, calling the auction that will be used to sponsor research and lab testing a 'spoof' and 'social engineering' and labelling hundreds if not thousands of the people that helped build this community long before you got hired 'unstable' and 'looney' is not the best way to keep the peace.

As you are in a position of authority, you might want to make sure you consider the responses prior to poking the hornets nest....or, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread