What e-liquid to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Hi all. I was out here a month or so ago, trying to figure out what type of vape to buy - got lots of input and think I am leaning toward the Aspire Zelos 50 watt Starter (nautilus 2/Zelos Box Mod). Although it comes with a sub ohm .07 coil, I think it would be best for me to start with the 1.8 ohm that is also provided in the kit. Now, I am trying to narrow down the most applicable e-liquid to start with. (This will be my 4th e-cig attempt, last one being the Kanger EVOD, 2.5 ohms/12 mg nicotine; previous two were pens - Blu & Vue).

I smoke Salem Slim 100s - now around 1/2 pack a day - for nearly 40 years. All I want flavor-wise is the menthol. My goal is to GET OFF OF CIGARETTES, but I also know that I will likely need a life-long replacement, because I've been smoking so long. So, here are my questions, so far:

1.) Do I need a combo of tobacco/menthol flavoring - to mimic a "real" cigarette??
2.) Because I am going to start with the 1.8 ohm - does 12 mg nicotine seem appropriate?
3.) For now, I am guessing my best bet is to start off with a 50/50 PG/VG mixture??
4.) How to I research finding the 'best, safest' e-liquid brands? Obviously, I don't want diacetyl. Of all the ingredients listed on various websites I've looked at, none mention anything except: PG/VG, nicotine, and flavoring. (I do NOT have a reliable vape store near me.)

Thanks in advance!!!!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
1: nope. Any flavor that strikes your fancy should work
2: 12mg seems a bit low to me for a new mtl vaper. I would try 18mg. It won’t work with subohm vaping very well though. You’ll want something lower for that. Lower than 12 likely.
3: that will depend on your coil. I’m not very familiar with the nautilus 1.8 so I have no useful opinion
4: thanks to FDA deeming there aren’t any “unsafe” juices sold anymore (I’m not fond of handing them points but they did do that well)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
For commercial ejuice in menthol available most everywhere. Take a look at Halo or Naked 100. Both have menthol juice that is pretty good. Halo probably better in Menthol with several available, including on that is heavy menthol. Both say no Diacetyl.

12 mg might be about right for you at that ohm range and 1/2 pack day previous use. You could always get different strengths of the same thing to try and mix them to change the strength. Halo is probably better for menthol but no inexpensive. Both are probably hard to find in 12 mg at vape shops as most shops only carry 0mg, 3mg and 6mg. But easy to order online.

https://www.halocigs.com/

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Thanks!

I only asked about the PG/VG ratio, because I initially thought I would want more VG (more vapor), but have since gotten the impression that a higher VG works better with lower ohms, and I am not sure I am ready to go there yet.

I know the Kanger EVOD didn't cut it, thinking it was the low amount of vapor; but maybe it was the 12 mg - who knows??? I've finally figured out thru this forum I am only just beginning to test out what will work for me. So, I gotta start somewhere - again. I will look into Halo and Naked 100.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
Here is what i have worked out. Avoid tobacco flavours as this in my mind is too much like smoking, there are so many amazing flavours, go wild and have fun :) I also started off on a MTL set up but with that and tobacco flavours i quickly slipped back into smoking. Sub ohm does look duanting from all the devices tanks coils etc but i find it far less like smoking, so fingers crossed i will manage to not smoke again ever with my set up. Hope this helps a little.

Give the .7 coil with some 3mg fruity juce a go. No harm in trying is there :) Oh and if you like menthol then you will have to give some Hizenburg juice a go.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Generally, more VG more vapor, more PG less vapor. Probably doesn't have much effect on the nicotine hit level. VG is thicker and wicks slower so sometimes doesn't wick fast enough if it is too much VG. PG is thinner and wicks faster but can lead to leaking from the tank if high level.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Starting 50/50 is perfectly reasonable in a MTL setup. You may find your preference leans one way or another. I might also suggest starting with higher nic, or maybe try some different juices in various nicotine levels to see what works best. You could also start with a HIGH nic level and some eliquid to dilute it with (of the same flavor but no nic) to figure out what best suits you.

I don't vape tobaccos, I was a 3 ppd vaper at the end and the idea doesn't hold much appeal. For a liquid that most closely mimics cigarette tastes, I'd recommend something like an NET (naturally extracted tobacco) and also, perhaps something from Heather's Heavenly vapes, they do some NET juices that are lighter and less gunky, and offer some interesting added flavors to the tobacco.

I might suggest trying out some vendor sample packs to try different flavorings to see what appeals to you (including various tobaccos if you want) without purchasing in large quantity. Some folks find that tobacco appeals and helps them stay tobacco free, others find it "reminds them" too much of a cigarette and choose other flavors.. Many folks vape tobaccos AND other flavors.

Best of luck,

Anna

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Ok, Gratch - but, remember I am trying to convert from cigs to vaping, so I kinda think I need to mimic a cigarette as best as I can to start off with. If I can replace cigs over the long haul, then we'll see where I can go from there.

Beamslider - I've read that with higher ohms combined with a higher VG, coils burn and the taste can be not so good - no? But, I don't want leaking either - that is what happened with the EVOD, although it was not a top-load tank. And, I just now looked - the e-liquid that came with the EVOD was VG 80/PG 20. Now, I am really confused.

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
remember I am trying to convert from cigs to vaping, so I kinda think I need to mimic a cigarette as best as I can to start off with.
This is kind of a "what works best for you" situation. Some people find that tobacco flavors work well for them; helping to transition from cigarettes, to vaping. Others, as in my own experience, find tobacco flavors only make the desire to smoke worse. I have no explanation why (unless it is the pressure of finding a matching taste of something so familiar and so specific); and I don't know of any way to find out, other than trying tobacco flavors. Just buy small sample sizes until you can find if it works for you. Nothing is more disheartening than buying a 120ml "deal;" only to find it is not going to work after just a milliliter or two.:shock:

I will say, that to me, tobacco vapes taste nothing like the flavor of smoking/burning tobacco (cigarettes). At best, I have found some, that are fairly reminiscent of the way unlit tobacco smells (if that makes any sense:confused:). Perhaps that is where my cravings came from... I was "tasting" that fresh pack of cigarettes, that was just begging to be smoked. So, if you hoping/expecting to find something, that is going to taste exactly the way your Salem Slims taste during smoking; am predicting it is going to be difficult to find.
1.) Do I need a combo of tobacco/menthol flavoring - to mimic a "real" cigarette??
Again; it is going to take some experimenting to find what works best for you. It may be a combination of tobacco and menthol, or just tobacco, or just menthol, or something else entirely different.

I spent a couple of weeks chasing that "cigarette" taste and found nothing that satisfied. I only found that my desire to smoke increased. It was moving away from tobacco flavors that worked for me. I tried candy, fruit, cream, and dessert flavors. Still didn't "wow" my taste buds; but they didn't make me want to smoke either.

It wasn't until it tried a few less sweet mint flavors; that I found my happy place. I was somewhat of a casual (not all day/every day) gum chewer, and mint flavored gums were what I tended to gravitate toward. There was a familiarity to the vape... without any pressure to find an "exact" copy. It was what worked for me.:)

I have a friend, who is still a dual user (he both smokes and vapes). The odd thing is; he smokes regular Camel Lights, but like to vape menthol e-liquid without any tobacco. For him... it is all about the "cool" feeling.

We are all a little different, and it is just going to take some time, patience, and experimenting to find what is going to work best for you. It can help if you have broader, more general, expectations. It becomes more difficult, more challenging, when you are trying to find a precise replacement for a very specific taste.

For what it's worth: I have been vaping now for more than five years. My current go-to flavor is actually unflavored (just PG, VG, and nicotine). I find it satisfying, just a hint of sweet, and I have zero expectations for flavor. It is never disappointing; if not huge on the "wow" factor.
2.) Because I am going to start with the 1.8 ohm - does 12 mg nicotine seem appropriate?
This is a hard one for me to answer. You said you are a half-a-pack-a-day smoker. 12mg/mL does not sound unreasonable to me.

BUT... (yes; the big but;)) it can be influenced by many different things. The hardware (the physical equipment being used), the setup (the coils, resistance, power applied, airflow), your own vaping style (inhales that are mostly in the mouth and throat, or down deep to the bottom of your lungs inhales), frequency (are the times you can vape limited; or are you able to vape as often as you want?).

The only thing I can say, from personal experience is, don't skimp on nicotine early on. Especially if your goal is quitting cigarettes.

I was a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoker for 30+years. a salesman recommended 18mg/mL e-liquid for me. It was "okay," but I still felt that constant edginess, that seems to plague many of us when trying to quit. I also couldn't get the vape out of my hand (I have seen infants less dependent on their pacifiers; than I was on my vape). I went back to the shop, explained my unease, and they suggested I try a small bottle of 24mg/mL.

IT WORKED! The edginess was gone. I could set my vape down, and actually do things, without constantly sucking on it. And, in about a week and a half/two weeks, I was finding it a bit too much, and returned to the 18mg/mL. Life was good.

If you find a flavor (or flavors) you like; it might be a good idea to have a couple of different strengths on hand, so you can adjust as cravings dictate.
3.) For now, I am guessing my best bet is to start off with a 50/50 PG/VG mixture??
This is another tough one to answer... and boils down to a few choices.

One is purely functional. The ease with which the juice flows to the coil (wicking). VG is thicker (more viscous) than PG. The thinner the e-liquid; the easier it wicks. And... the easier the device can leak (flood). Most of the newer devices being sold today can do just fine with thicker e-liquids (30PG/70VG; and even higher); so wicking is less of a concern than it has been in the past.

The other considerations are more a matter of personal preference:
VG is responsible for more visible vapor. This is important to people who like to blow large "clouds" of vapor. PG provides less visible vapor.This can be a consideration for those who are trying to be discrete.

VG is "smoother" than PG. PG (along with nicotine) is often attributed with having more "throat hit." Throat hit (or TH) is that kind of scratchy, mildly irritating, feeling one gets in the back of the throat and sinuses. Some equate this TH with similar sensations they got when smoking. Other, find it unpleasant, and prefer to avoid it.

VG provides greater density, to the vapor, than PG (hence the increased visibility). This can also be significant to a certain segment of smoker. I was a deep inhaler as a smoker. Part of finding my vapor satisfaction, was finding a replacement, for that "dense, heavy" feeling in my chest. Getting a suitable device (a more airy, "direct-to-lung" device), and a higher VG e-liquid, is what did the trick for me.

So, I don't think a 50/50 is a bad choice; it will have a little less visible vapor, and a bit more throat hit, than a more commonly found (today) 30PG/70VG e-liquid. Honestly, in my opinion, I think anything in between the two would be perfectly fine to start.
4.) How to I research finding the 'best, safest' e-liquid brands? Obviously, I don't want diacetyl. Of all the ingredients listed on various websites I've looked at, none mention anything except: PG/VG, nicotine, and flavoring. (I do NOT have a reliable vape store near me.)
As long as you are buying from established brands, and it isn't labeled "made in Joe's garage," I think you are in fairly safe territory. Manufacturers, and resellers, have little to gain by selling inferior product. And, those that try it, quickly go out of business. Vaping is still very much a word-of-mouth dependent industry... get a bad rep; and you are history.

I would look for businesses that have been around for more than a year, offer both a street address, as well as phone number. Then search for reviews on line, at places like ECF ( and other vaping forums), Reddit, and YouTube. Finally, if you want to check the site's security, these free resources can be used:
Surcuri: Site Check

Qualys: SSL Server Test

Magento
You can read more about these on this ECF thread. (Thanks, @retired1 :thumbs:)

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I will say, that to me, tobacco vapes taste nothing like the flavor of smoking/burning tobacco (cigarettes). At best, I have found some, that are fairly reminiscent of the way unlit tobacco smells
    @IDJoel has written a Gold post for you. I'd suggest you read it twice and slowly.

I never did smoke menthols, and thinking back, the taste was nothing but an ashy burn in my throat. I never looked at the cloud either except in freezing conditions when it seemed much more dense.

We're all different and that's why vaping IMHO works. Some people crave flavor with their nicotine, others just clouds with their nic.

I was in a store a month ago, helping a mid 60's lady setup her first kit, exactly the same as yours (Nautilus).
    Flavor ✔️
    Airflow ✔️
    Cloud/vapor volume ✖️ Nope, had to have more visible clouds. We're all different, and you just gotta figure out you. I have friends that finish a smoke in about 5 minutes. I'd call those nic chasers, don't give a darn just need that nic. Others took ages to finish, I thought they were pondering life, how to end world hunger, or maybe enjoying the nuances of their cigarette. I was a time smoker. I KNEW from lighting to finishing, it was a solid 8 minutes and found my starting nic strength based on that.

Good luck in your journey, every time you'd smoke ... vape. Same routine.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2018
    Winter Park, FL
    All good info - thanks! I am surprised to hear (more then once on this site) that trying to mimic my cigarettes could actually be a potential downfall. I was guessing that would be the best possible chance at success in getting off real cigarettes. Apparently, a bad assumption on my part.

As far as me leaning toward more vapor cloud - this was based on my experience with EVOD (as previously stated: 2.5ohms, 12 mg/ml nicotine, 80VG/20PG). Something about it was not satisfying, and I kind of thought it was based on the small amount of vapor. I never noticed the amount of smoke from a cigarette either, until after I tried vaping. When comparing the two, I thought the cigarette put out more smoke. But, again, maybe it was the 12 mg/ml nicotine instead?? It could have even been the combo of some/all of the above, including the 650mAh battery. At that time I didn't even know about ohms or battery strength.

One of the more vexing things for me right now is getting my head around how much VG/PG and ohms affect each other. So much of what I have researched has inferred, to me, that the higher ohms don't work so well with higher VG levels. But, I haven't really seen too much of that being referenced here??? Mostly, just about lower ohms with higher VG via DL. And, I have figured out that MTL - at this stage, for me - is probably more appropriate for how I currently smoke cigarettes.

I guess I will only find out after - as you all have said - experimenting with different stuff. As much as I have learned through this forum, I now know I don't know much!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yes, you won't know until you get going. There are fervent lovers of tobacco flavors too. But many of them have additional flavors, and it's not really feasible (IMO) to get a "true" tobacco flavor, because I smoked tobacco, and vaping something just isn't the same. But, if you find a tobacco flavor you like, it may help you transition. I would try an NET (naturally extracted tobacco) at least a couple of them to see how you like them. They are known coil gunkers, you may find you do better with a "tobacco" flavoring that's not extracted from the plant, too. Many unknowns until you get going.

My husband started on NETs, but he is enjoying some other flavors, too. He was kind of surprised to like it.

As far as VG/PG, honestly, a lot will depend on what you are looking for. 50/50 is a perfectly sensible place to start in a MTL device, but you can also experiment. I am PG sensitive and currently use about 90% VG other than flavors, I began adding 10% distilled water and it helped a lot.. But even at MAX Vg, it's possible to make a MTL device and high resistance WORK. My coil life and tank temps weren't the greatest, but I was able to vape MTL, still, I just had to deal with gunky coils and more "fog" than your average MTL vape. So, experimentation in that realm will need to take place.

If you don't have a B&M near you, I'd suggest vendor sample packs, and I think Heather's Heavenly vapes is a good place to start as it does have options as far as various :pg/Vg ratios, and higher PG levels if needed, perhaps a sample pack from them would be as good a place as any to begin. Once you figure out your preference, you can start looking for "deals" and juice companies that you like and are affordable, or even start down the DIY trail, who knows.

Best of luck,

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    All good info - thanks! I am surprised to hear (more then once on this site) that trying to mimic my cigarettes could actually be a potential downfall. I was guessing that would be the best possible chance at success in getting off real cigarettes. Apparently, a bad assumption on my part.

As far as me leaning toward more vapor cloud - this was based on my experience with EVOD (as previously stated: 2.5ohms, 12 mg/ml nicotine, 80VG/20PG). Something about it was not satisfying, and I kind of thought it was based on the small amount of vapor. I never noticed the amount of smoke from a cigarette either, until after I tried vaping. When comparing the two, I thought the cigarette put out more smoke. But, again, maybe it was the 12 mg/ml nicotine instead?? It could have even been the combo of some/all of the above, including the 650mAh battery. At that time I didn't even know about ohms or battery strength.

One of the more vexing things for me right now is getting my head around how much VG/PG and ohms affect each other. So much of what I have researched has inferred, to me, that the higher ohms don't work so well with higher VG levels. But, I haven't really seen too much of that being referenced here??? Mostly, just about lower ohms with higher VG via DL. And, I have figured out that MTL - at this stage, for me - is probably more appropriate for how I currently smoke cigarettes.

I guess I will only find out after - as you all have said - experimenting with different stuff. As much as I have learned through this forum, I now know I don't know much!

You are not thinking any "wrong" thoughts. Each one of us is different, and have/had different needs and triggers, to break the hold of smoking. We can share what worked for us; but that is no guarantee that it might work for you.

Finding success; is about having an open mind, being willing to try new things, being okay with some things not working for you. Putting the added pressure on yourself, of "this has to work," only leads to frustration. Remind yourself that finding what is going to work best for you, is a process... that includes things that work and things that don't.

Try to be analytical about each new experiment. "What do I like about it?" "What don't I like?" "What could make it better?" are all good questions to be asking yourself as you journey along. It is perfectly okay to not be able to know "why" something is better or worse, or "how" to make it better. If you can articulate what is not satisfying about any given attempt, you can ask here on the forums, and we can offer some possible suggestions to try.

being able to say things like:
    I found it too harsh.
    I found it too airy.
    It seemed weak.
    It didn't have any flavor.
    It was too hot.
    It wasn't hot enough.
    etc.
    is more informative, than saying "it is working," or " it's not satisfying." But, without some sort of a starting/reference point, we all are just guessing.

One thing that helped me, was I never told myself I couldn't have another cigarette. Yes; my goal was to quit, but I never created the temptation of "forbidden fruit." Any cigarette I didn't light up was a win. Any cigarette I did smoke was nothing more than a delay. Eventually I found the right combination of hardware, and e-liquid, and smoking lost its grip. It is all about attitude and experimentation.:D

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    Hi all. I was out here a month or so ago, trying to figure out what type of vape to buy - got lots of input and think I am leaning toward the Aspire Zelos 50 watt Starter (Nautilus 2/Zelos Box Mod). Although it comes with a sub ohm .07 coil, I think it would be best for me to start with the 1.8 ohm that is also provided in the kit. Now, I am trying to narrow down the most applicable e-liquid to start with. (This will be my 4th e-cig attempt, last one being the Kanger EVOD, 2.5 ohms/12 mg nicotine; previous two were pens - Blu & Vue).

I smoke Salem Slim 100s - now around 1/2 pack a day - for nearly 40 years. All I want flavor-wise is the menthol. My goal is to GET OFF OF CIGARETTES, but I also know that I will likely need a life-long replacement, because I've been smoking so long. So, here are my questions, so far:

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Great responses above! My quick 2 cents, based on my personal experience:

1. No, IMO, but you need to find the answer to that question yourself. I started - after finding my preferred nic strength - with sample packs from Halo (tobacco) and Alice in Vapeland (fruits, desserts, teas, etc.) and quickly found that I liked non-tobacco flavors better. (FYI, AIV liquids in base configuration tend to be purposefully light in flavoring.)

2. 12 mg sounds like a good place to start. I was down to 1/2 pack of cigarettes when I started vaping. Along with my first device, I ordered a small bottle of 12 mg and a small bottle of 18 mg eliquid. I found that 12 mg was more than enough to give me a “morning buzz” similar to that which I got from my first cigarette of the day. 18 mg made me slightly nauseous.

3. I personally think that 50/50 is a good place to start, first because PG will better mimic the throat hit you get from a real cigarette (which I didn’t even realize was there with a real cigarette until I “looked” for it) and second, because PG carries flavors better to your taste buds that are now probably somewhat numbed by smoking.

4. Ahlusion might be a good place to start (see my sig). Not the cheapest eliquid around, but you can customize your PG/VG mix and nic concentration, as well as add sweetener and/or various strengths of mint or menthol to many of their offerings. Most of their liquids burn relatively clean (chocolate is a definite exception) and they make the following representations regarding the safety of their offerings (scroll down to “Testing”):

IngredientsIngredients

Couple of tips re Ahlusion: There’s almost always a discount going on - that you’ll only see after you put something into your cart and look at it. The discount can vary from day-to-day. Their sale notification system is not the best (sucks because it is unreliable, IMO), but the prices are not bad after your first order because of their reward program. There’s an Ahlusion thread here, although it hasn’t been very active recently:

Ahlusion LLC Chat Thread

Mountain Oak Vapors used to show 3rd party testing results, but I haven’t ordered from them for awhile so I’m not sure of the current status.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

This is kind of a "what works best for you" situation. Some people find that tobacco flavors work well for them; helping to transition from cigarettes, to vaping. Others, as in my own experience, find tobacco flavors only make the desire to smoke worse. I have no explanation why (unless it is the pressure of finding a matching taste of something so familiar and so specific); and I don't know of any way to find out, other than trying tobacco flavors. Just buy small sample sizes until you can find if it works for you. Nothing is more disheartening than buying a 120ml "deal;" only to find it is not going to work after just a milliliter or two.:shock:

I will say, that to me, tobacco vapes taste nothing like the flavor of smoking/burning tobacco (cigarettes). At best, I have found some, that are fairly reminiscent of the way unlit tobacco smells (if that makes any sense:confused:). Perhaps that is where my cravings came from... I was "tasting" that fresh pack of cigarettes, that was just begging to be smoked. So, if you hoping/expecting to find something, that is going to taste exactly the way your Salem Slims taste during smoking; am predicting it is going to be difficult to find.

Again; it is going to take some experimenting to find what works best for you. It may be a combination of tobacco and menthol, or just tobacco, or just menthol, or something else entirely different.

I spent a couple of weeks chasing that "cigarette" taste and found nothing that satisfied. I only found that my desire to smoke increased. It was moving away from tobacco flavors that worked for me. I tried candy, fruit, cream, and dessert flavors. Still didn't "wow" my taste buds; but they didn't make me want to smoke either.

It wasn't until it tried a few less sweet mint flavors; that I found my happy place. I was somewhat of a casual (not all day/every day) gum chewer, and mint flavored gums were what I tended to gravitate toward. There was a familiarity to the vape... without any pressure to find an "exact" copy. It was what worked for me.:)

I have a friend, who is still a dual user (he both smokes and vapes). The odd thing is; he smokes regular Camel Lights, but like to vape menthol e-liquid without any tobacco. For him... it is all about the "cool" feeling.

We are all a little different, and it is just going to take some time, patience, and experimenting to find what is going to work best for you. It can help if you have broader, more general, expectations. It becomes more difficult, more challenging, when you are trying to find a precise replacement for a very specific taste.

For what it's worth: I have been vaping now for more than five years. My current go-to flavor is actually unflavored (just PG, VG, and nicotine). I find it satisfying, just a hint of sweet, and I have zero expectations for flavor. It is never disappointing; if not huge on the "wow" factor.

This is a hard one for me to answer. You said you are a half-a-pack-a-day smoker. 12mg/mL does not sound unreasonable to me.

BUT... (yes; the big but;)) it can be influenced by many different things. The hardware (the physical equipment being used), the setup (the coils, resistance, power applied, airflow), your own vaping style (inhales that are mostly in the mouth and throat, or down deep to the bottom of your lungs inhales), frequency (are the times you can vape limited; or are you able to vape as often as you want?).

The only thing I can say, from personal experience is, don't skimp on nicotine early on. Especially if your goal is quitting cigarettes.

I was a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoker for 30+years. a salesman recommended 18mg/mL e-liquid for me. It was "okay," but I still felt that constant edginess, that seems to plague many of us when trying to quit. I also couldn't get the vape out of my hand (I have seen infants less dependent on their pacifiers; than I was on my vape). I went back to the shop, explained my unease, and they suggested I try a small bottle of 24mg/mL.

IT WORKED! The edginess was gone. I could set my vape down, and actually do things, without constantly sucking on it. And, in about a week and a half/two weeks, I was finding it a bit too much, and returned to the 18mg/mL. Life was good.

If you find a flavor (or flavors) you like; it might be a good idea to have a couple of different strengths on hand, so you can adjust as cravings dictate.

This is another tough one to answer... and boils down to a few choices.

One is purely functional. The ease with which the juice flows to the coil (wicking). VG is thicker (more viscous) than PG. The thinner the e-liquid; the easier it wicks. And... the easier the device can leak (flood). Most of the newer devices being sold today can do just fine with thicker e-liquids (30PG/70VG; and even higher); so wicking is less of a concern than it has been in the past.

The other considerations are more a matter of personal preference:
    VG is responsible for more visible vapor. This is important to people who like to blow large "clouds" of vapor. PG provides less visible vapor.This can be a consideration for those who are trying to be discrete.

VG is "smoother" than PG. PG (along with nicotine) is often attributed with having more "throat hit." Throat hit (or TH) is that kind of scratchy, mildly irritating, feeling one gets in the back of the throat and sinuses. Some equate this TH with similar sensations they got when smoking. Other, find it unpleasant, and prefer to avoid it.

VG provides greater density, to the vapor, than PG (hence the increased visibility). This can also be significant to a certain segment of smoker. I was a deep inhaler as a smoker. Part of finding my vapor satisfaction, was finding a replacement, for that "dense, heavy" feeling in my chest. Getting a suitable device (a more airy, "direct-to-lung" device), and a higher VG e-liquid, is what did the trick for me.

So, I don't think a 50/50 is a bad choice; it will have a little less visible vapor, and a bit more throat hit, than a more commonly found (today) 30PG/70VG e-liquid. Honestly, in my opinion, I think anything in between the two would be perfectly fine to start.

As long as you are buying from established brands, and it isn't labeled "made in Joe's garage," I think you are in fairly safe territory. Manufacturers, and resellers, have little to gain by selling inferior product. And, those that try it, quickly go out of business. Vaping is still very much a word-of-mouth dependent industry... get a bad rep; and you are history.

I would look for businesses that have been around for more than a year, offer both a street address, as well as phone number. Then search for reviews on line, at places like ECF ( and other vaping forums), Reddit, and YouTube. Finally, if you want to check the site's security, these free resources can be used:
    Surcuri: Site Check

Qualys: SSL Server Test

Magento
    You can read more about these on this ECF thread. (Thanks, @retired1 :thumbs:)
    You have no idea how much information I gained just from reading this post. Though it was not in reply to me thank you for posting this... Awesome stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread