FDA What happens if/when…

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all these rumors of e-cigarettes being "regulated" or banned in the coming years, what in layman's terms are the implications? What EXACTLY does all this mean and how exactly with this affect US, the vapers themselves?

I mean here in the UK they sell e-juice in the Post Office. That seems encouraging. But I remember a pack of cigarettes being under a £1 (or under $1). Now after 25 years a pack can cost over £10 (or $13?).

My point is, I am nervous about a Prohibition type state. Imagine no e-juice available to buy, or no nicotine to be found. Will we ever get to that point?

And yes I am a vapoholic ☺

(I posted the same article in another forum, but after a few hours there is no reply. Maybe this is a more appropriate place to ask this?)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
With all these rumors of e-cigarettes being "regulated" or banned in the coming years, what in layman's terms are the implications? What EXACTLY does all this mean and how exactly with this affect US, the vapers themselves?

I mean here in the UK they sell e-juice in the Post Office. That seems encouraging. But I remember a pack of cigarettes being under a £1 (or under $1). Now after 25 years a pack can cost over £10 (or $13?).

My point is, I am nervous about a Prohibition type state. Imagine no e-juice available to buy, or no nicotine to be found. Will we ever get to that point?

And yes I am a vapoholic ☺

(I posted the same article in another forum, but after a few hours there is no reply. Maybe this is a more appropriate place to ask this?)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Very Hard to say Exactly what will Happen.

My Opinion is that the First thing that will happen is that e-Liquids will be Banned from Internet Sales. And that they will be Face-to-Face sales Only.

And I think that there is a Very Good Chance that e-Liquids in Liquid form will be Restricted sometime down the Road.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If Prohibition comes back, then the black market will flourish and a lot of criminals will get very rich.

History repeats itself. It seems people don't believe history because it's not in a trashy reality show.

There Isn't going to be any "Prohibition". e-Cigarettes will continue to be Sold. And e-Liquids will Continue to be sold Also.

Now What will an FDA approved e-Cigarette look like? And what Form will e-Liquids be Sold in? Those are the 64,000 Dollar Questions.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
There Isn't going to be any "Prohibition". e-Cigarettes will continue to be Sold. And e-Liquids will Continue to be sold Also.

Now What will an FDA approved e-Cigarette look like? And what Form will e-Liquids be Sold in? Those are the 64,000 Dollar Questions.

Additionally, no matter what the FDA decides to do with regard to the deeming regs, the federal courts are going to be the venue in which these issues are ultimately decided. Consequently, there's not much chance of a dramatic change in the status quo happening any time soon.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Additionally, no matter what the FDA decides to do with regard to the deeming regs, the federal courts are going to be the venue in which these issues are ultimately decided. Consequently, there's not much chance of a dramatic change in the status quo happening any time soon.

I think a lot will depend on What the FDA Does?

If they Cap Nicotine levels at say 3mg, I'm sure there will be an Uproar. But what if they Cap Nicotine 18mg or 24mg?

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I think a lot will depend on What the FDA Does?

If they Cap Nicotine levels at say 3mg, I'm sure there will be an Uproar. But what if they Cap Nicotine 18mg or 24mg?

This will be where the black market comes in. People who want 36mg, 48mg, 100mg will turn to the black market.

You don't need total prohibition to get a black market.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This will be where the black market comes in. People who want 36mg, 48mg, 100mg will turn to the black market.

You don't need total prohibition to get a black market.

There will Always be a Black Market for just about Anything. No Argument here.

But some Question just how Large and just How Many people will use a Black Market for e-Liquids? Or even know where to get ahold of something on a Black Market?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There are a lot of guys making a fortune selling illicit cigarettes in New York who would agree with this.

Yeah... The Fine Folks in NYC can't seem to Figure Out that if you keep Taxing and Taxing and Taxing, and then Taxing something again, that sooner or later you Encourage Black Market Sales.

Cigarettes Sales are a pretty Common thing. How do you see e-Liquid Sales working out? Especially if the FDA Restricts e-Liquids in Liquid Form.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not gonna play. You can drive yourself off the cliff asking these kinds of questions, let alone thinking there is a "real" answer to be had. "If" is a moving target. "When" - pretty much the same.

Yeah... It's All Opinions and Guesses at this Point.

Not Sure when there will be any Real Information available. Maybe when the FDA Brings it to Congress for Approval.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA

I agree, but do you think that those of us who have used the high end ecigs will be happy with using the cigalikes? I know I won't, so I definitely see a very good possibility for a black market if there's absolutely no way we can continue using our preferred ecigs.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA

+100. Totally agree.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree, but do you think that those of us who have used the high end ecigs will be happy with using the cigalikes? I know I won't, so I definitely see a very good possibility for a black market if there's absolutely no way we can continue using our preferred ecigs.

Not a Chance.

But remember: The Coming FDA Regulations are not Really Geared towards us. They are Geared towards Future Vapers.

Future vapers who Don't know what is Good or bad. Much like We Didn't when we 1st Started.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
There will Always be a Black Market for just about Anything. No Argument here.

But some Question just how Large and just How Many people will use a Black Market for e-Liquids? Or even know where to get ahold of something on a Black Market?

If you are suggesting that internet sales will be prohibited, then that black market would be fairly easy to understand where and how. With combustibles, I think the shut down has been rather easy because of no backlash, but with vaping, I would anticipate lots of backlash and thus a whole bunch of black market operators taking the risk. Some will get caught (busted for online trafficking), and many others will not. And in the background will be a whole lot of people (including mainstream media) having arguments about why bust anyone for online sales.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you are suggesting that internet sales will be prohibited, then that black market would be fairly easy to understand where and how. With combustibles, I think the shut down has been rather easy because of no backlash, but with vaping, I would anticipate lots of backlash and thus a whole bunch of black market operators taking the risk. Some will get caught (busted for online trafficking), and many others will not. And in the background will be a whole lot of people (including mainstream media) having arguments about why bust anyone for online sales.

It all kinda Debatable.

How much Backlash do you foresee if the FDA Limited e-Liquid sales, in Liquid Form, to 18mg Face to Face Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread