What is a Rob Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA
I am not able to use cotton, it irritates my throat. I have tried organic, but since it is bleached with hydrogen peroxide I tried boiling it in case that was the problem. Still irritated my throat. I ordered some unbleached natural organic cotton, still can't use it. I went back to Silica, 32 gauge A1 Kanthal wrapped 4 times around doubled 2mm silica ended up at 1.6 ohms. I shoot for 1.5 but 1.6 is fine. I keep reading threads about coil builds and it seems like everyone has switched to micro coils and/or compressed coils and cotton. I love the compressed coils and cotton, so easy to rewick yada yada yada.... but it is close to impossible to thread silica through them. I tried taping the end (like the end of a shoelace) but it didn't work. I tried a needle threader, that cut the silica, tried same basic idea with a piece of thread, still cuts the silica... I am thinking I should be happy with my wrapping around silica, its working, tastes good, but....the neat tidy look of those compressed coils looks so nice. In reading all the coil threads and wicking threads I keep seeing people mention the Rob Coil, but no link or picture. So......what is it? Inquiring minds want to know :confused:

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think it's the cotton. Did you just start using RBAs? You are aware that you must drop your nicotine level when you move from tanks to RBAs. Too much nicotine will hurt your throat immediately. You may also be placing your coils too high in your build. Higher coils mean more throat hit. If you're looking for a more lax hit, try lowering your coils first, then your nicotine. I would bet money it's one or the other.

newplague

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2010
Oregon
I never dropped my nic lvl when I switched to RBAs. I'm running lower ohm coils then I was using on atties also. As to the main topic, I use silica with compressed micro coils. I make sure to wet the end and get it twisted nice and tight, then I screw it into the coil. I found this works well with the ekowool also.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
I never dropped my nic lvl when I switched to RBAs. I'm running lower ohm coils then I was using on atties also. As to the main topic, I use silica with compressed micro coils. I make sure to wet the end and get it twisted nice and tight, then I screw it into the coil. I found this works well with the ekowool also.

What's the internal diameter of your micro coils? Pics?

Thanks

newplague

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2010
Oregon
I use a 5/64 drill bit to wrap mine. 28g kanthal with ekowool. Can't remember if it is 1mm or 2mm. My coil building skills aren't pretty, but they work great. See for yourself lol.

IMG_20140310_232757.jpg

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Thanks for the pics newplague.

5/64 is a bit large for a micro coil diameter. I've went down the larger diameter path, and didn't prefer it. I found the larger the diameter, it was better just loose wrapping it. (no touching)

I do think silica tastes better than cotton, as in I can't taste it at all. I haven't been able to make it work in a proper micro coil though, it needs a bigger diameter (more wick mass) to hold juice and work properly with higher wattage vaping IMO.

I've had some success with the "un-stranding and needle threading" through a micro coil, but it needed a good squonk on every single hit. It just didn't work or perform anywhere nearly as efficient as cotton with a sub-ohm resistance micro diameter coil..

One of these days I'll get off my .... and order some hemp and bamboo. I've tried several different brands of cotton, and can taste all of them. It's not bad by any means, but in a super "nit picky" world I'm sure there's something better out there. Like I said, I like silica better, just doesn't work out so well with that brilliant, bullet proof, reliable tiny micro coil build.

Ahhhh.... First world problems eh? LOL

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I am not able to use cotton, it irritates my throat. I have tried organic, but since it is bleached with hydrogen peroxide I tried boiling it in case that was the problem. Still irritated my throat. I ordered some unbleached natural organic cotton, still can't use it. I went back to Silica, 32 gauge A1 Kanthal wrapped 4 times around doubled 2mm silica ended up at 1.6 ohms. I shoot for 1.5 but 1.6 is fine. I keep reading threads about coil builds and it seems like everyone has switched to micro coils and/or compressed coils and cotton. I love the compressed coils and cotton, so easy to rewick yada yada yada.... but it is close to impossible to thread silica through them. I tried taping the end (like the end of a shoelace) but it didn't work. I tried a needle threader, that cut the silica, tried same basic idea with a piece of thread, still cuts the silica... I am thinking I should be happy with my wrapping around silica, its working, tastes good, but....the neat tidy look of those compressed coils looks so nice. In reading all the coil threads and wicking threads I keep seeing people mention the Rob Coil, but no link or picture. So......what is it? Inquiring minds want to know :confused:

I used this method before switching to cotton.
Take a spare wire and make a loop. Loop the silica. Thread using coil end and pull the silica using the coil.
Also found this at drug store and used it few times. Loop the silica at the "loop" end and thread using the "pointy" end.

IMG_1420.jpg

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA
I don't think it's the cotton. Did you just start using RBAs? You are aware that you must drop your nicotine level when you move from tanks to RBAs. Too much nicotine will hurt your throat immediately. You may also be placing your coils too high in your build. Higher coils mean more throat hit. If you're looking for a more lax hit, try lowering your coils first, then your nicotine. I would bet money it's one or the other.

Had the same problem with the Kayfun lite and with a Helios... as soon as I go back to silica I have no problem. It doesn't need to be a micro coil, it's the compressed coil I like. I'll have to mess around with different diameters and gauges of wire and see if I can come up with a 1.4 to 1.6 ohm coil I can get silica thru, with all the helpful tips I think I can do it. This is not a "Must Have", what I am making is working, it is the aesthetics of the compressed coil... I like things neat and orderly, my coils look messy to me. When I was using cotton my coils were beautiful. Being me is a pain in the ... sometimes :oops:

Edit: I use 6mg, I did not have issues even at 18mg.

Last edited:

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Had the same problem with the Kayfun lite and with a Helios... as soon as I go back to silica I have no problem.

I had to lower the nic level when I switched from silica to cotton. Cotton seems to give more TH than silica. Also, KFL seems to smooth out the vapor more than RM2. Might the chimney in KFL that mixes the vapor more, but RM2 definitely kicks harder for me.

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
with hemp cord- boil the crud out of it! but that still might not get the taste out- the vape was good, the wicking was good, but it still tasted like.. hemp cord.

I like bamboo thread over cotton.. but I find cotton is so much easier to work with. big box of sterile rolled cotton from CVS, didn't need to boil.. pick off a piece, roll it, thread it, clip it.

also have silica and ekowoll on hand- haven't given those a fair shot yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread