What is the consensus here on extremely sub ohm builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
With a handful of e-cig malfunctions/devices blowing up in the past 6 months, I'm curious what you guys think about builds that go as low as 0.1 ohms.

Also, what do you guys think about what the vaping community is turning into? Regarding cloud competitions, extreme sub ohm builds, cloud chasing, pumping more and more watts out, etc.

I know some people say that there is nothing wrong with these things , people just need to be safe and educated......but there in lies the problem. When is the majority of people who do ANYTHING ever safe OR educated without some sort of government or regulating body that puts laws and restrictions in place?

Personally, I don't like where things are going. It would be one thing if we NEEDED to keep lowering the ohms to get better flavor, or we NEEDED more watts to get decent flavor....but let's face this, this has NOTHING to do with flavor. It is all about who can breath in and exhale the most vapor, and look cool doing it.

I don't know, if the extreme cloud chasing was just a really, really small subset of vapers, it probably wouldn't bother me TOO bad......but it seems like so many new, young (in their 20s) vapers are obsessed with it. I can go to any vape shop near my house, and at ANY given time I can see at least half the people in there with extreme builds, designed for cloud chasing.

When did vaping become about exhaling more vapor than the next person?

The whole cloud chasing thing is so widespread, that now even new vapers who don't care about clouds are STILL using extreme builds because they think its 'normal'. I've had many people, online and in person, try to tell me that the reason they sub ohm down to 0.2ohms, and use rdas designed for cloud chasing, and 150+watt devices, is because they are flavor chasing. It has nothing to do with clouds they say. That it just insane, because you can achieve a damn near PERFECT flavor without going anywhere close to those specs.

I'm not hating, just honestly trying to see where others stand on this issue. thanks guys

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Never tried it myself so can't give an opinion. I'm quite happy with 0.4-0.8ohm on mechs. I do have 2 0.3 ohm builds running regulated and am enjoying them.

But, I'm well educated on battery safety and DC electronics. I've never felt any urge to push safety margins.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
If you know what you're doing fine. If you're a beginner building to 0.1 ohms then no it's a bad idea. To the topic of cloud comps and such, It's pointless in my opinion. I like clouds, but I'm not going to go and build low and blow a cloud for money. It's pointless. Probably why half the people I see in cloud comps never smoked, they just build low, don't care about safety and try to win money. 0.25 ohms is the lowest I will go on a regulated device and it's fine part of the times, but 50w and 0.5 ohms I can beat people with a 0.15 ohm build. Proved that at a vape shop to get a clueless 18 year old employee to shut his mouth.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I stop at .25 but usually build at .4 to .5 as I love to drip on a mech vs a vw. I think on a reg device built to go low is fine but its the ones that don't understand and try to do it on unregulated.

Most of the mishaps, I believe are due to user error. I'm sure some is honest equipment failure, user did everything right but sometimes things happen.

Cloud chasing is more of a d!** measuring contest at shops. Truth is though, some of those people probably aren't as low as you think. A .5 build with a high vg liquid and high watt, can create a good sized cloud.

Reactions: defdock

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
My opinion is that I don't really see an issue with sub ohm building to a degree. If a build is done correctly there isn't much of a problem, low resistance or high resistance.

I'm having some trouble understanding the use of builds going lower than 0.2 on a single 18650 mechanical device. Depending on the battery the user is awfully close to reaching the max discharge rate or has already surpassed it's discharge rate on the battery. Doing this taxes the battery heavily and has the possibility for failure. I'm not stating that it will explode immediately, but a problem can occur. Despite that, I've heard some users claim it's okay because they know what they're doing. I wouldn't vape anything that has a high chance of failure when I could get a multi battery device for the job, regulated or mechanical.

Users can vape safe without worries, even at very low resistances with kanthal. It's just that single battery mechanicals have a higher rate of problems if we push it too far. The battery can cool down after each draw, but the higher chance of battery failure isn't something to play around with.

Last edited:

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Ok, I'm curious.....how could you possibly know, by seeing someone in a cloud comp, whether or not they have ever smoked?

Because the one cloud comp I saw it in person was a topic brought up and 8 out of the 10 people competing said they never smoked. So I gave my opinion based on what I have witnessed

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Side note, as far as blowups on the news, I have yet to see one that WAS NOT A mech. All news stories I've seen, were of mechs.

Look closer.
Its mechs with janky prebuilt Sub ohm coils with sub ohm tanks.

The latest few blow up pics were topped with aspire nautilus tanks.

Sub ohm premade coils+
mechanical mods+
people who don't understand battery specs and ohms law= disaster.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Should have reworded that, mechs are the only "in use" exposition stories I've heard on the news.

Egos, those on the other hand, all had issues during charging due to bad chargers or charging using a pc usb port

True. They did seem to be charging incidents.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Look closer.
Its mechs with janky prebuilt Sub ohm coils with sub ohm tanks.

The latest few blow up pics were topped with aspire nautilus tanks.

Sub ohm premade coils+
mechanical mods+
people who don't understand battery specs and ohms law= disaster.

Oh I know, but the fact is these "noobs" are buying mechs that have absolutely no protection other than "knowledge".

As you point out it's janky premade coils that are most likely the cause of the short, but one can assume also these b&m shops selling the gear does not educate the customer on "how much" the battery they are trying to sell can actually handle.

Not trying to start a debate. Just pointing out, all the news stories I have seen with ecigs blowing up in faces while used, are all mech mods with no protection.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Oh I know, but the fact is these "noobs" are buying mechs that have absolutely no protection other than "knowledge".

As you point out it's janky premade coils that are most likely the cause of the short, but one can assume also these b&m shops selling the gear does not educate the customer on "how much" the battery they are trying to sell can actually handle.

Not trying to start a debate. Just pointing out, all the news stories I have seen with ecigs blowing up in faces while used, are all mech mods with no protection.

My point was, that it's not the mechanicals.
It's user error, and companies marketing sub ohm tanks with pre made coils.

Pre made coils have horrible quality control. Always have.
And now they are available at .20 ohms resistance and less?

Who didn't see this train wreck coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread