What is up with mall kiosks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylose64

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Savannah, GA
I went to the mall the other day and was instantly drawn to this guy smoking an e cig, selling the product. I was walking around and of course, being the salesman he was, he started trying to sell me an e cig.

He said I could have one for 100 bucks. A small crappy 510 for 100 BUCKS! I told him no, I got one and showed him my ego.

I asked if I could buy any liquid. He walked me over to the small selection he had. I looked around and asked for a price.

He said "well these aren't like online shops where they are $10 or $5 dollars"

I said "wow there cheaper?!"

"no they're 30 bucks."

Then, being nice

"That's an awesome price. Thanks for everything, I'll be back"

:facepalm:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
They still make me mad that they lure smokers into their traps. I had one try to sell me a kit in Topeka one time. I let him go through his sales pitch, then pulled out my Buzz and took a big drag. I blew out more vapor than he ever thought was possible. He asked where I got it and told him happily. I also pointed a few of his customers in another direction...LOL...the internet.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
I have to admit...I'm not nice to em. :p
Well ok price gorging is one thing...they do have a ton more overhead then an out of the garage online vender.
But if they start pullin the bs lines about how long cart last, or how special their rebranded ecig is, ect.

I tell em exactly what I think of there biz's practices, and of their product. Now I'm not screamin, cussin and making a fuss..but they have a damn clear picture of how they are messing up this industry for other vapors and putting other smokers at a greater risks when I'm done. I cant tell you how many times I've had a smoker tell me they tried ecigs found them to be a rip off, and I shouldnt bother with em....these guys are why.
Either they are either ignorant(which is no excuse) or they are Asses out to make a buck...why be nice?

The moral of this story is never piss off a woman with flamin boobs :p

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
Well ok price gorging is one thing...they do have a ton more overhead then an out of the garage online vender.
But if they start pullin the bs lines about how long cart last, or how special their rebranded ecig is, ect.

I tell em exactly what I think of there biz's practices, and of their product. Now I'm not screamin, cussin and making a fuss..but they have a damn clear picture of how they are messing up this industry for other vapors and putting other smokers at a greater risks when I'm done. I cant tell you how many times I've had a smoker tell me they tried ecigs found them to be a rip off, and I shouldnt bother with em....these guys are why.
Either they are either ignorant(which is no excuse) or they are Asses out to make a buck...why be nice?

I've yet to encounter a mall kiosk e-cig vendor as I go out of my way to avoid malls, but I would imagine my reaction being the same. If I were the average smoker and came across one of these kiosks before finding ECF I probably wouldn't even bother with e-cigs due to the ridiculous prices, or would have got one out of desperation and been thoroughly disappointed and gone back to cigarettes. I myself am smart enough to google everything first so I was spared spending too much money for a cheap convenient store or mall kiosk crap kit by finding ECF. I can only hope that these ripoff artists don't dissuade too many smokers from e-cigs.

lol @ the flamin boobs thing, I just had to be taking a swig of mt dew when I read that,
fortunately I have tech wipes handy to clean my screen with :laugh:

mylose64

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Savannah, GA
I wish there prices would be low, they would be a really good local source for e cig products. I'd love to be able to drive 4 min to get anything I needed for the prices I find online.

:/ hopefully the e cig thing becomes mainstream and instead of people buying a pack of smokes at a gas station, they can buy a bottle of liquid and an atomizer.... and some skittles.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
we should be careful when painting all people with the same brush. I know that we have a couple of registered off-line suppliers that run mall kiosks. While I have not personally visited their mall locations, there is nothing about them that would lead me to believe they are dishonest or unethical.

It would certainly be understandable if a kiosk price for a 510 is higher than we would see online. After all, they have a physical location to pay for, and mall locations even if it is just a kiosk can often be fairly expensive. I would have no problem paying slightly more for the convenience of being able to pick it up in person if I was in an emergency situation and did not want to wait for something to come in the mail.

I certainly have more of a problem with misleading statements like "one cartridge equals one pack of cigarettes" then I would paying a higher price for equipment or juice.

To my knowledge, none of the kiosk owners registered here engages in such claims.

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
No kiosks in my area, but one of the Cigarettes Cheaper type of places in town has them. The price for a 901 (I think kit) is a bit absurd, but I can get 1 oz. of juice (3 flavors) for $17. Not bad once you add in shipping from a majority of online vendors. If it ever hits the fan around here, I like knowing I can at least get some juice.

Linden

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan,USA
I haven't encountered mall kiosks yet but the price gouging really has me in a steam. (or a vape)
PV's have allowed me to quit a 21 year habit and if I thought that it costed THAT MUCH to quit, I would have just kept walking. How many people are discouraged from trying PV's (and getting off analogs) because of their price misrepresentation?

whozshort

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver, BC
One can hope that it peaks the curiosity of someone looking for a way out of smoking and they do more research online and learn what is really available.

Bingo. I haven't seen ecigs at mall kiosks here in Canada but they carried them for a short time at a store called As Seen on TV. Had I not seen it there, I may never have Googled and found this forum, and may never have picked up an eGo which has helped me stay off the smokes.

It's bitter sweet - these types of places give us vapers great exposure, it's too bad the products are often poor quality and overpriced. Having said that, retail is a tough business with lots of overhead so it makes sense the prices are higher than what we see online. Not justifying it, just saying...

n2xe

ECF Veteran
Jan 9, 2011
Owego, NY

If it wasn't for a mall kiosk, I'd still be smoking. Yea, I paid more than I could have online but I still think it would have been a bargain at twice what I paid.

My state makes $4 a pack for doing nothing but helping you kill yourself. How come nobody posts about their profiteering??

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
I've said a few times, over here we only have eGo and eGo clones, which is nice. Price is about double (~120USD) for a starter set, and ~35USD/20ml of juice. Prices are terrible, but I've gone there (and paid 20+ USD) when my mega atty died before its' replacement got here. I know a guy (not the brightest guy) that manages one of these, one night he actually told me their costs (all) and markup... it's mostly markup.

I've also recommended to many people that they can either order one online and come see me when they get it (before doing anything), or just go grab one downtown. Getting the little demo/speech on use is really helpful, and some people just want it NOW. I don't recommend that much any more, I just ordered a ton (over 20) Riva sets and a ton of juice (DIY and bought), so, now when someone says they are interested I can offer them online prices (plus shipping costs of course) and instant (next day normally) gratification. My local pub even keeps a few on hand (owner vapes) just for helping people get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread