What is With Japanese Cotton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Ultimately, what you want is a pure cotton - no bleaching, no exposure to chemicals, etc.
I purchased a small pack of 5 pads for $1 just to try it. I'll admit that it works well, and does not give off an initial off-taste like Rayon, but I wouldn't pay more for Japanese cotton than I would for regular cotton.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Thanks for all the replies. Honestly I never have a problem getting a wick to work properly now that I have practice, and I don't ever really notice a flavor imparted unless it's about to bite the dust or something went wrong with the coil. That said, it does sound like you guys are getting solid results. I have one last reservation though... What about Fukishima?
I have tried them all and Koh Gen Do cotton BLOWS AWAY ALL OF THEM. For me there is no comparison. It vapes EXTREMELY CLEAN. There is ZERO residue flavor like I get from all the types of cotton mentioned in this thread. It wicks instantly, never chars or burns and lasts fairly long. It is super easy to form and mold and work with. Get your hands on some Koh Gen Do and you will never look back. Maybe it is psychological or placebo but I swear by the stuff and will never use anything else.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Yesterday I experienced something that has made me question my standard cotton balls stance.
I rewicked my rda with a 'fresh' cotton ball and took my first hit, I nearly vomited, I got a disgusting chemical taste with a sort of dryness (despite the wick being saturated). It was awful and showed no signs of decreasing in potency as I continued to vape. I finally understand the cotton taste that people have mentioned, this is the first time in 3 years of rebuilding using cotton ball wicks that I have experienced this dreadful taste. It really put me off wanting to vape.

I went back and smelt (smelled Am.) the rest of the batch of cotton balls and they absolutely stank of the same chemical note. So, I am guessing that previously I had been very lucky to not get smelly balls or whatever, but it has taught me to give my balls a good sniff before putting them to use.

I do boil them prior to use, the last time I did this I failed to squeeze the balls adequately before leaving to dry, so I guess that the lingering moisture might have had something to do with the residual chemical taste. I will put that to the test later this week when I boil some more.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Yesterday I experienced something that has made me question my standard cotton balls stance.
I rewicked my RDA with a 'fresh' cotton ball and took my first hit, I nearly vomited, I got a disgusting chemical taste with a sort of dryness (despite the wick being saturated). It was awful and showed no signs of decreasing in potency as I continued to vape. I finally understand the cotton taste that people have mentioned, this is the first time in 3 years of rebuilding using cotton ball wicks that I have experienced this dreadful taste. It really put me off wanting to vape.

I went back and smelt (smelled Am.) the rest of the batch of cotton balls and they absolutely stank of the same chemical note. So, I am guessing that previously I had been very lucky to not get smelly balls or whatever, but it has taught me to give my balls a good sniff before putting them to use.

I do boil them prior to use, the last time I did this I failed to squeeze the balls adequately before leaving to dry, so I guess that the lingering moisture might have had something to do with the residual chemical taste. I will put that to the test later this week when I boil some more.

I'm sorry, the second and third paragraph in this post nearly made me choke on my coffee.

As to the topic, KGD is all I will use now. I thought the Japanese organic pads were all the same and picked up some no name pads with a tank I purchased on-line. Used it once and threw the rest away. The KGD is absolutely the best. Started with regular cotton balls and decided to try the KGD due to the hype. Now I'm going to buy it in bulk. 12 bucks for 60 pads, how can that even be considered an expense.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I'm sorry, the second and third paragraph in this post nearly made me choke on my coffee.

As to the topic, KGD is all I will use now. I thought the Japanese organic pads were all the same and picked up some no name pads with a tank I purchased on-line. Used it once and threw the rest away. The KGD is absolutely the best. Started with regular cotton balls and decided to try the KGD due to the hype. Now I'm going to buy it in bulk. 12 bucks for 60 pads, how can that even be considered an expense.

Choked on your coffee ? Boy Howdy, I was in the middle of a vape and about swallowed my drip tip.
I have been using that Japanese Labo Organic cotton pads (Puffs) I got off of Amazon and Love it, Love it, Love it. Was using, or should I say TRYING to use the Rayon before that and for the life of me I just could not get it to work but for just a couple of times (I think just by accident), I either had too much or not enough, same with what I started out with before the Rayon, Organic CVS cotton, Inconsistent wicking (my fault entirely). There is a learning curve with any wicking material but this Labo cotton is proving to be alot easier for me to get down right than anything else so far. For a 2mm coil I cut off a 8mm wide strip of Labo cotton, thread it thru, juice it up, and away I go. It must be dummy proof. Sounds like KGD might be about the same way as Labo cotton pads, like everyone else says, it imparts no added flavor at all, plus I'm on my 5th tank on this wicking (25ml) and still going strong.

Reactions: jdrewry

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
I don’t think that using Japanese cotton is a fad. I used to use cotton balls, but I found it tedious to unravel them and to find / make a patch with uniform thickness to roll my wick. With Japanese cotton I simply peel off a layer, roll it to my desired thickness, and then cut it from the pad. I find it a lot easier and quicker to roll a wick of uniform thickness and I waste a lot less than I did when using cotton balls. People say that Japanese cotton wicks better – I don’t have any personal empirical evidence to support that, I just find it a lot easier to work with.

I don’t have a problem paying $12 for many years’ worth of wicking material that is easy to work with that I can use to quickly and consistently roll quality wicks. I personally think that Japanese cotton offers advantages over cotton balls. If you disagree and think that it’s a waste of money then by all means, you should use cotton balls or any other type of material to roll your wicks that you find more economical.

Completely second this ^^^

I think that a lot of people are under the impression that people who use Japanese cotton pads are buying them repackaged from vape shops. That is usually not the case! It's great stuff and consistent like nothing else!

Reactions: Firestorm

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
FAD, Somebody found make-up pads made in Japan.. That same somebody decided, they were easier to work with than cotton balls. the FAD was born.. Forget the fact you can get the same thing for $1 at Walmart. We will pay $12, because the package says VAPE on it.

Not the same thing.

That said, many vapers use organic cotton balls from their local pharmacy and like them.

But they are not the same and they don't vape the same as KGD, Muji or Labo cotton. :)

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Alright, I've been absent for quite a bit now, but I recently was in a local shop that stocks stuff that is ACTUALLY GOOD, and they had "Japanese cotton." What the heck? Took a look about here and there seems to be a few threads.... Why the craze? I've been using the same pack of organic cotton balls for probably a year now, and I have to wonder why people seem to think paying 500-1000% more is worth it. What is going on guys? Thanks.

I think most people like the flat little sheets, easier to use and it is good cotton, but in my experience no better than the Sally Beauty Supply Salon Coil cotton I bought 40 feet of for $3.29. Which I actually like better. I gave my Koh Gen Doh pads to the wife unit to use for makeup removal and such.
I had ordered an 80 pad pack of the KGD and while waiting on it tried the Salon Coil and liked it better than the KGD that I had paid $5 for 3 pads of at a B&M. So the wife unit got the KGD when it came in.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
salon coil.jpg

Has less break in time than the KGD for me. fibers aligned nicely and fluffier than the KGD. And for $3.29 a years worth for me.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Alright, I've been absent for quite a bit now, but I recently was in a local shop that stocks stuff that is ACTUALLY GOOD, and they had "Japanese cotton." What the heck? Took a look about here and there seems to be a few threads.... Why the craze? I've been using the same pack of organic cotton balls for probably a year now, and I have to wonder why people seem to think paying 500-1000% more is worth it. What is going on guys? Thanks.

It seems primarily beneficial for those with thick juices that don't wick well. The taste is identical to my own bag of organic cotton balls, but it wicks a lot better -- as well as rayon, if not even better -- a real non-issue when you use 84% PG, everything wicks stuff that thin very well, but I can see how it would be very helpful for those with thick ejuice. It's also a bit faster/easier than using organic cotton balls, so if I'm pressed for time, I'll use some KGD or Shiseido, just to be quicker about it.

Andria

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I know, I overpaid for Japanese cotton - $7.99 for 15 pads, but it is 5 pads of each: KGD, Muji and Cotton Labo, but now I have a chance to compare them all
Amazon.com : Koh Gen Do, Cotton Labo & MUJI Japanese Organic Unbleached Cotton Top 3 Brands Set (5pcs x 3) (15) : Beauty

Now I am still on the first pad of KGD and it looks like 15 pads would last for several years.
I like KGD better than cotton balls. Easier to work. I split it in half, cut to size and that's it. No rolling. Works fine.

Reactions: Coldrake

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
Just for everyone's information,

KohGenDo Cosmetics High Definition Cosmetics - Shop - Product Detail
"Made from 100% cotton that has not been chemically treated, bleached or pigmented. Raised without the use of chemical fertilizer or pesticides to ensure pure, safe quality."
-
http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Labo-O...F8&qid=1432940758&sr=8-1&keywords=labo+cotton
"100% Organic Cotton, non-peticide, non agricultural chemicals"
-

Japanese Cotton, Mine and Muji. : ecigclassifieds
"So I emailed Muji after all the posts of people complaining that Muji sells a product for cheaper.

"Dear Broderick,

Thank you for your interest in MUJI. For MUJI Ecru cut cottons: [4548718561247, Cut Cotton / Ecru] and [4548718561254, Cut Cotton / Ecru - L size]

Are they organic? No

Are the untreated? No

Are they unbleached? Yes

Is the cotton used grown pesticide free? No

If you have any further questions, please contact us at (877) 414-9402, or email us at online@muji.com.

Best Regards, Georgie" "

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I thought I was happy unrolling cotton balls to snip off what i needed until I ordered some off of Amazon. $4.95 for a package of about 24 pads, and this stuff makes consistent wicking even easier. I prefer to remove the top and bottom layers and it is so easy to twist an end and pass it through the coil.

Reactions: Coldrake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread