What is With Japanese Cotton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Yesterday I experienced something that has made me question my standard cotton balls stance.
I rewicked my rda with a 'fresh' cotton ball and took my first hit, I nearly vomited, I got a disgusting chemical taste with a sort of dryness (despite the wick being saturated). It was awful and showed no signs of decreasing in potency as I continued to vape. I finally understand the cotton taste that people have mentioned, this is the first time in 3 years of rebuilding using cotton ball wicks that I have experienced this dreadful taste. It really put me off wanting to vape.

I went back and smelt (smelled Am.) the rest of the batch of cotton balls and they absolutely stank of the same chemical note. So, I am guessing that previously I had been very lucky to not get smelly balls or whatever, but it has taught me to give my balls a good sniff before putting them to use.

I do boil them prior to use, the last time I did this I failed to squeeze the balls adequately before leaving to dry, so I guess that the lingering moisture might have had something to do with the residual chemical taste. I will put that to the test later this week when I boil some more.

I smelled my balls this morning and they were kinda stinky. So I tried to boil them and it hurt like hell and I had to go to the hospital for treatment of the burns. I'll be sending you my medical bills for suggesting it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Alright, I've been absent for quite a bit now, but I recently was in a local shop that stocks stuff that is ACTUALLY GOOD, and they had "Japanese cotton." What the heck? Took a look about here and there seems to be a few threads.... Why the craze? I've been using the same pack of organic cotton balls for probably a year now, and I have to wonder why people seem to think paying 500-1000% more is worth it. What is going on guys? Thanks.

Why the Craze? Because it Works Great. And it is Easy to Use.

Not sure what that B&M is charging for Japanese Cotton? But I bought a Package of Muji 120 Cotton Pads for about 9 Bucks.

Each Pad makes about 10 Wicks. That's is about 1,200 Wicks.

So the 9 Bucks I spent will get me enough wicks to last Until about 2038. Give or Take a Few Years.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I wish I knew how to make my Wicks last 5 Days.....I'm lucky to get 2..

May just be my inexperience though...

I think it is a Factor of How Many ml's you go thru everyday. And how much you e-Liquid Gunks up your Wick/Coil.

I go thru about 3 ~ 4ml per day. And I have cut Way back on my DIY Flavoring/Sweeteners. So my coils/wick stay clean much Longer.

Reactions: GccTxs67

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
I would love to see some blind taste testing. Maybe I'll have my son wick one of his with Japanese Cotton and another with Walmart cotton and not tell me which is which. Then I'll see if I can detect differences. I'll do like 10 trials over a few days and see.

I just think that cotton is basically cotton. Why would one wick or taste better than another?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I wish I knew how to make my Wicks last 5 Days.....I'm lucky to get 2..

May just be my inexperience though...

Or your juice -- I have to rewick every other day, mine gunks so much. It's so tasty, I put up with it. :D

Andria

Reactions: GccTxs67

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I would love to see some blind taste testing. Maybe I'll have my son wick one of his with Japanese Cotton and another with Walmart cotton and not tell me which is which. Then I'll see if I can detect differences. I'll do like 10 trials over a few days and see.

I just think that cotton is basically cotton. Why would one wick or taste better than another?

Organic cotton tastes MILES better than "just plain cotton," or "sterile cotton", and you don't have to boil it. But organic cotton balls, and japanese organic cotton, taste exactly the same.

Andria

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
Organic cotton tastes MILES better than "just plain cotton," or "sterile cotton", and you don't have to boil it. But organic cotton balls, and japanese organic cotton, taste exactly the same.

Andria
i guess I need to try it for myself.

Im wondering what it is about organic cotton that would make a difference. It wouldn't change the structure. Organic fruits and veggies are not nutritionally different from non-organic.

Sorry, I'm just skeptical. Now I really wanna run a taste test.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Im wondering what it is about organic cotton that would make a difference. It wouldn't change the structure. Organic fruits and veggies are not nutritionally different from non-organic.

I think it has More to do with How the Cotton is Processed.

I believe that the nice White cotton you see in Most cotton Balls/Pads has been Bleached and or Treated with Chemicals. All I know for certain is that Muji Cotton Pads are Easy to use. Taste Great. And Dirt Cheap. So I use them.

I have tried 100% Rayon. It's Good. It is just a Little Harder to work with that Cotton Pads.

Reactions: puddinman

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

I always figured "organic" was code for "suckers will pay more for this label" -- even when the so-called organic produce looks like it spent a week in someone's shed. But I tried the regular sterile cotton balls. Meh. So I got some organic cotton balls from walgreens, they're only $2.99. WOW! Suddenly I could actually taste my vape!

I think it's the lack of bad stuff sprayed on the cotton while growing, so they don't have to do all sorts of crazy things to it, in production, and you don't have to boil it -- decreasing possibility for fungal growth.

The only real benefit in using the japanese stuff is that the fibers are well-aligned, so they're quicker and easier to make a wick from, and easier to thread thru the coil, and they do seem to wick a WHOLE lot better, so for thick juice, they're great, or in vertical coils where you really need that upward capillary action. But the taste is no different from the $2.99 organic cotton balls.

Andria

Reactions: puddinman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
About 6 - 8 Ml's a day, mostly baked goods, 6 nic, all 50/50.....

I'm sure 18 nic tobacco is not helping matters....gonna start wrapping down to .8 - 1.0 ohms and cut the nic back on my beloved Halo Juices

Yeah... You are Vaping about Twice as much as I am per day. And you wicks are Lasting about Half as Long as mine are.

So it sounds about Right.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am literally in the Mall, went to Nordstroms, Macy's, Sephora and Lord and Taylor's. None of them had Koh Gen Do, However, they all have Sheseido. How is Sheseido? I don't have to have any right now, but while I'm here, you get it....

I never heard anything Good or Bad about Sheseido pads.

But the Pictures make them look Very White. So they may be Bleach and or Post Processed. I Dunno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread