What made you decide to switch to an e cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
I'm like a lot of folks on here who tried various methods of getting off the stinkies...the lozenge, the gum, tapering, cold turkey...all tried and failed. Finally, I was sensing my non-smoking wife was about to put her foot down. I met someone with an eGo twist and a clearomizer and I asked where he got his set up...got it...now, stinkie free!

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 40+ year 3 pad smoker. I had been trying to cut down using lozenges and pure will power. Ten months ago I had some ecig pop-up advertisement on my computer. I started researching and ended up here. Found Smokeless Image Volts and, just on a whim, I ordered a starter kit. I never thought it would work, just hoped to cut down some. Three days after my kit arrived, I smoked my last cigarette.

So, in a sense, ecigs found me.

vrodder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
East Central Alabama
Tried to quit many, many,etc,,,,times including a 10yr stretch. Started again 6yrs ago due to MASSIVE stress. Really didn't enjoy it this go around. Tried some disposables then a mistake starter (Blu). But, haven't had a stinky in the week that I've had it. Found this great wealth of info here. And for the first time in the last 6yrs I can truthfully say I don't smoke.

I was like every other smoker out there in their 40's (wow, did I just admit to that???), waking up every morning hacking and coughing and realizing what I was doing to myself. The realization that if I didn't quit, I would be cutting my own life short has been weighing on me for awhile now. I hadn't seen my dad for about 2 months and he came by one Saturday and said he had not smoked an analog for 6 weeks thanks to his ego starter kit. The next tuesday I stopped at the local vape shop and walked out the door with 2 starter kits. That was 3 weeks and 2 days ago and my husband and I have not smoked since. It was such an easy transition that I sent an ecig to my sister, who I have had many conversations with in the past about wanting to quit smoking. At the end of her first day with it she sent me a text asking me if it really could be this easy. She is now on day 3 analog free. I think when we are younger, we think of ourselves as invincible. As time creeps up on us and we can see the toll our actions take on our bodies, we all want to quit. I can't express how happy I am that I found vaping!

Tried to quit once before using chantix. Too many side effects for me, most common being extremely odd and vivid dreams. I dreamed Charlie Sheen was my father, scary stuff! But I digress, after that I didn't really think I wanted to quit and then I took an interest in vaping and wanted to try it, so I bought an ego kit. Havent wanted a cigarette since.

ca_girl2tx_girl

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Corinth, TX
A lot of people in my family smoke and a lot of my friends smoked, so that's how I picked it up. But once I got to be around 21 I realized that I was spending way too much money on a habit that put me at higher risk for certain cancers, especially since I am already at high risk for cancer because of the genetics in my family. I also want to try to stay in shape because my family is not the healthiest and I noticed I couldn't keep up like I used to when I was 16. I used to be on a competitive dance team in high school and could dance for 6 hours a day/ 6 days a week, now I walk around the block and I feel like I am dying. I knew by quitting smoking that would help me in getting back into shape.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
I truly LOVED smoking, but I knew it was slowly killing me. I had a horrible cough and would cough so hard I would gag and almost barf. I truly felt horrible all the time. I remember seeing an episode of "Star Trek Voyager" where Tom Paris and Harry Kim were in the Holodeck. Harry told Tom that he didn't want to drink late at night because it gave him acid heartburn. Tom replied "It's holgraphic wine, Harry. It doesn't give you acid." I then saw people smoking in the Bistro Tom created and thought to myself "A holographic cigarette! I wish we had those. That's the only way I could ever quit." A few years later, I came across an e cigarette ad and saw it as a sign. It was exactly what I had wished for. In the three years since I started vaping, I've gone back and forth from e cigs to smoking, but in January I made the decision to quit for good. I feel so much better now. I don't cough anymore and I have a lot more energy than I used to. I've been stocking up on batteries and juice and life has never been better.

Last edited:

RTYPE11

May 28, 2013
TORONTO
I decided to quit or have been wanting to quit for years, started with chewing tobacco in high school given to me by coach to settle me down, then they banned chewing tobacco on field and then started smoiking behind dugout between innings. I was trying to give my fiancee a wedding present by quitting before our wedding i had quit cold turkey for a couple months but her mother kindly suggested i start again as i was "very moody". Then i got the 510 i think from the USA with only 5 cartridges i managed to quit the entire time i had cartridges, even dealt with leaking nicotine onto my tongue and lips but still couldnt find replacement carts or E liquid in Canada. then i found the EGO on April 24th and e liquid with nicotine locally. havent looked back or had single smoke since and dont really miss it at all. I might be a chain vaper, and wasting money buying every vaping gizmo, trying every flavour under the sun. but my lung capacity is coming back strong, my clothes and fingers arent stained or smell, no more mood swings from being couped up indooors without nicotine.
the only ne who suffers from all of this is my dog who i dont use as an excuse to go outside to walk anymore and ahve a smoke.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
I didn't start vaping to quit smoking. But wow, it happened. I was a typical smoker, I enjoyed smoking, I found it to be relaxing, soothing and rewarding. I can honestly say that I didn't like what smoking was doing to me. So when I tried vaping and it gave me those things that I enjoyed in smoking, well it was win win. The switch was easy, within a week of vaping I was tobacco free. Now it's 8 months and counting. If vaping was banned at every level, saddly I'm sure that I would be smoking tobacco again in a short time. I hope that never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread