What makes a mod or tank noisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
Besides the vape hardware that I own myself, with the most powerful unit being at 40 watts, I don't have any experience with anything else that's more powerful.

One thing that I have noticed is that different sorts of vape hardware makes different levels of sound. I don't find the unit that I use myself to be particularly loud (currently a Target Mini). I usually vape at 25-30 watts on it.

But I have noticed that sometimes when I see other vapers with their mods and different hardware, theirs makes a lot louder and very noticeable sound when vaping (loud hissing sound).

I was just wondering, is that solely due to certain units being more powerful than others?

If I notice another vaper with a very loud unit, which has a loud sucking sound or hissing sound when vaping, does that probably mean that the person is using a 100-200 watt or more unit or are some units just more loud than others and it also has to do with coils etc?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Most likely it's the tank/coils they are using. I have a few 200W(supposedly) that I use with tanks like the Perseus, Ijoy 5, CB, Blazer, Starre RDTA, etc. Some of my tanks are louder because of the massive amounts of airflow they have. That could be what you're hearing. Hth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
Yes, it sounds like air moving or hissing, so I guess it makes sense that different sorts of tanks having differing levels of airflow would explain the differences in sound and sound level.

There's an adjustable airflow on the tank that i use, but I always just keep it on max, fully open, as I find that is what I prefer.

Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: Eskie

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Yes, it sounds like air moving or hissing, so I guess it makes sense that different sorts of tanks having differing levels of airflow would explain it.

There's an adjustable airflow on the tank that i use, but I always just keep it on max, fully open, as I find that is what I prefer.

Thanks for the reply!
No problem,

"One does what one can"- Peter Stormare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: IgnorantCig

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
In a word aerodynamics. Atomizers will have different airflow characteristics Inherent in their design. Some smooth and quiet, some turbulent and noisy. How open the AFC is on an atomizer can also make a big change in the amount of noise it produces. Where the coil is positioned in the airflow also makes a noticeable difference.
Also some coils will be more crackly than others depending their configuration in conjunction with other factors.

Personally I hate noisy or turbulent airflow to point that I will discard an atomizer for that reason alone.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
In a word aerodynamics. Atomizers will have different airflow characteristics Inherent in their design. Some smooth and quiet, some turbulent and noisy. How open the AFC is on an atomizer can also make a big change in the amount of noise it produces. Where the coil is positioned in the airflow also makes a noticeable difference.
Also some coils will be more crackly than others depending their configuration in conjunction with other factors.

Personally I hate noisy or turbulent airflow to point that I will discard an atomizer for that reason alone.

Thanks for reply!

Like you, I don't like noisy things, and when I purchase my next vape device, I will definitely look into its acoustic profile, to make sure that the device that I am buying doesn't make annoying or excessive noise.

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Some tanks/RDAs are like whistles... just the way they are built.

The way someone could build their decks could make this worse as they might block the airflow in a certain way. The way the factory coils are built, etc.

And depending how you take a pull can cause this, I know that I have one RTA that if I hold it at a very particular angle and pull in a certain way, I can make it whistle quite loudly. (not easy but doable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread