What makes it necessary to change the coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Yes, coils will gunk up. How quickly depends largely on the particular juice you vape. Those that are dark or very sweet often cause that quicker.

And also yes, over time there will be some degradation of the coil, and it's resistance will slowly creep up. If it gets higher than you want, time for a new one.

If Kanthal they can be dry burned, rewicked and used for quite a long time. (Many of the metals used for TC are NOT suitable for dry burning - but I don't TC, and don't trust my memory on which ones :facepalm: so check on that!)

Otherwise, unless you deform / destroy the coil while rewicking, no need to replace the coil. Just clean, appropriate for the metal, rewick and vape on. I have coils - not wicks! - that have gone for many months.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There is no "set" period of when to change coils, really. I mean, different coil materials and gauges and builds have different amounts of robustness, and typically if you can dry burn a coil to nearly absolutely clean, they don't HAVE to be changed frequently. I mean, people do, and I will admit to thinking there MUST be a certain amount of masochism involved, but that's me.

If you aren't trying new builds and stuff (which is a perfectly valid reason to change a coil) well, some folks get quite a bit of life out of their coils, like months sometimes but as stated above it depends on a variety of factors. Juice flavor and whatnot does matter, IMHO more to the wick than the coil, but the more gunked a coil gets, the harder it will be to get clean, even if you include stuff like scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

I just go by "Is it still vaping fine and is it something I would be ashamed to post on ECF" standards, and I'd say my coils are sort of middling, some like 3 week, some 7 weeks or longer.

The coil type and its robustness really do matter, too.

Anna

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
When the coils don't give the vape I want I change the coils....

I tend to clean the coils and rewick at least once a week.. needed or not.. but depending on juice could rewick multi times a day.

Currently have 4 atomizers in rotation. Newest coil is 1 week oldest almost 2 years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread