What should we be calling it? What do you call it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drksideken

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Syracuse, IN, USA
Being an ex smoker now for getting close to two months now, I've realized that I'm disliking the term E-Cig. The first thing that comes to mind are those coffin nails I used to smoke. A term I learned from watching various You tube reviewers is Personal Vaporizer or P.V. I tend to like that wording better as it distances the cig part of e-cig from what I'm actually doing, which is vaporizing liquid. It got me to thinking about what people who don't smoke or vape see and think about when they come across an article vaping. I think they see e-cig and only really see the cig part. We want to tell everyone that what we do is so different than smoking...but how can we when we use almost the exact same terminology for the very name of it? I think we should completely do away with the words electronic cigarette. Just my two cents and I'm sure someone else has posted something similar and if they have, I'm sorry. Just the way I feel. I'm tired and on Hydrocodon for a bad tooth. So folks, what do you all call it?

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I try to call it vaping whenever I figure the other person knows about vaping......
then if they don't, I say e-cig and then go back to vaping.....

EeYeah, sometimes 'e-cig' is the only thing that provides communication. I don't like it either, but if the rest of the world doesn't understand pv, vape, etc. it's about all you can use in less than a paragraph.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Here's something to read about this topic, that might be helpful to understand better why the name remains:

Why It's Called An 'E-Cigarette' And 'E-Smoking'

Here's a sample:

We have to use smoking-related terms in order to increase our user base. It will not always be necessary to do so, and perhaps the break point will come at around 25% of smoker conversions: the point at which a quarter of smokers have switched, and public knowlege of the equipment and practice will be widespread.

The problem currently is that unless the term 'electronic cigarette' or 'e-cigarette' is used, no one will (a) have a clue what you are talking about, (b) be able to find the products with a web search, or (c) want to switch from smoking.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I guess you guys are right. It would be pretty impossible to change the fact now. Guess I'm not really a good one to be trying to advocate for anything. I'll just leave it up to the pros.

Surely that's not true! It's a valid idea, one that's been tossed around by many others. It's just not time for that yet. :)

But please browse the Legislative section (see my link in my signature below) - there are some things we can use your help with for sure! For example, New York State just issued a new bill today that would BAN E-LIQUID! What?!? You heard me right!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ork-state-s06939-prohibits-sale-e-liquid.html

moshertwo

Sep 18, 2013
Gonzales,TX,USA
We must stop using the word "cigarette" in any form to describe what we are doing. When people hear the word "e-cigarette" they ...-U-Me we are talking about just another form of tobacco consumption. Wal-Mart classifies what few vaping products they sell as "tobacco products". I even purchased a FIN starter kit from them that was DOA and they refused to honor the warranty because they "... do not accept returns on tobacco products". Most people are still clueless as to what is vaping. When we use the word "e-cigarette" we play into their fears. When we refuse to fund research to prove vaping is safer than tobacco we perpetuate their lack of knowledge. When we fail to communicate with our elected officials we play into the hands of the tobacco companies who already lobby very well. After more than forty years of smoking, and just over seven months of vaping without tobacco cigarettes, my doctor was thrilled with the results of my last physical. The public needs to know that. Spread the word.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
On a personal level and depending on how much time I have with the individual, I go from e-cig to vaping or using a vaporizer. At least they walk away knowing that using a nicotine vaporizer has little to do with the word "e-cig". Publically, I just slow that down. Most times, it is not my primary agenda though. Most places that I write, the number of words are limited.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
We must stop using the word "cigarette" in any form to describe what we are doing. When people hear the word "e-cigarette" they ...-U-Me we are talking about just another form of tobacco consumption. Wal-Mart classifies what few vaping products they sell as "tobacco products". I even purchased a FIN starter kit from them that was DOA and they refused to honor the warranty because they "... do not accept returns on tobacco products". Most people are still clueless as to what is vaping. When we use the word "e-cigarette" we play into their fears. When we refuse to fund research to prove vaping is safer than tobacco we perpetuate their lack of knowledge. When we fail to communicate with our elected officials we play into the hands of the tobacco companies who already lobby very well. After more than forty years of smoking, and just over seven months of vaping without tobacco cigarettes, my doctor was thrilled with the results of my last physical. The public needs to know that. Spread the word.

We didn't refuse to fund research:

BMC Public Health | Abstract | Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks

This was funded by vapers, donating to CASAA specifically for this purpose.

Don't assume. :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
On a personal level and depending on how much time I have with the individual, I go from e-cig to vaping or using a vaporizer. At least they walk away knowing that using a nicotine vaporizer has little to do with the word "e-cig". Publically, I just slow that down. Most times, it is not my primary agenda though. Most places that I write, the number of words are limited.

Nicotine?
Where did that come from?

I call the action "vaping."

As for the method, I usually say "The Vape" or simply "Vape."

I used to smoke, but no longer do, so it's not smoking; I very politely correct everyone that does call it smoking or references smoke. As noted in the post above, I am a "vaper" (and certainly not a vaporer).

The e-juice is simply "juice," and the hardware is referred to as "hardware" or "the kit" or "vape gear" or simply "the vape." Something like that, and many are still working that out.

The verb form seems easy enough, it's the noun part that seems to be throwing people. The good news is that English (the lingua franca of this site) is an extremely malleable language that evolves naturally, and pretty effectively in my view.

Furthermore, the term "vaping" seems to be gaining traction in popular vernacular speech.

I also never say "e-cigarette" because my eGo and EVODs and someday probably something fancier aren't cigarettes, and increasingly fail to resemble cigarettes, which by definition contain tobacco, unless using the term "clove cigarettes" or "......... cigarettes," which seem to be making a distinction from tobacco in the first place.

And then there are the various usages, i.e. "I'm going for the stealth vape." or "Dude, don't bogart my vape." or "Oh dear, I have misplaced my vape." or in pig latin "I'm going to ixnay on the vape-ay." And so forth and so on.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
EeYeah, sometimes 'e-cig' is the only thing that provides communication. I don't like it either, but if the rest of the world doesn't understand pv, vape, etc. it's about all you can use in less than a paragraph.

I call it "vaping my e-cig" which causes people to say "Oh, THAT's what that is! Hmmm. It doesn't smell bad. Vapor, you say?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread