what size of resistance wire to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhy!

Jun 25, 2012
uk
Hiya,
Fellow vapers, Please can someone clear this little problem up for me :blink:, I have read and seen many topics about replacing the coil and it seems that most say to use around the 32swg nicro wire, now this have confused me a bit to be honest ( it dont take much :) ) assuming the most you are going to use of the wire is around 2cm but 32swg wire is only around 19ohm/m so 2cm will only be around 0.4ohm my question is how can this relate to the average of 2ohms that is the normal resistance of the coils . :?: Im I missing something ?

gwhy!

Jun 25, 2012
uk
The spec for Nickel Chrome Wire 41swg is its 109 ohms per meter so this will around 1.09 ohms per cm and the spec and for 34swg is 24.7ohms per meter ( 0.247 ohms per cm )

Kanthal 34AWG 67ohm per meter (0.67ohms per cm )

36AWG is 102 ohms per m (1.02 ohms per cm )

so Im still confused are you saying that you use around 4cm of wire to wind a coil ? or is this extra resistance coming from the connections ?. I shoud just pull a coil apart and see how much is needed.

tbrinkley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
oklahoma
yeah,its a bit big though and 36 a bit small,34 (for me) is ideal;

4 turns with 32:around 1,5 ohms
4 turns with 36: around 4 ohms

so I guess 34 is around 2.5 which would give you more latitude to put a 5th and vape at 5-6V or be plenty content with 3.7 at 4 turns

Thank you!

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Myself I dont really mind since I exclusively use VV/VW now so I dont really check if I grab the 32/34/or 36 roll,I just wind 6 coils and check it with my APVs ohm meters,then adjust to suit :)

One thing is,once mounted,they read something and after a short stabilization period,they might change,usually down--just made a coil on a line and it went from 5.6 to 4.1--std mesh oxyd with rolling paper,vaped it a while and there it is at 4.1 now,tasting great at 4V

But there are charts around https://www.pelicanwire.com/resistance-wire-alloys/kanthal-a-1-872-ohm-alloy/

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Myself I dont really mind since I exclusively use VV/VW now so I dont really check if I grab the 32/34/or 36 roll,I just wind 6 coils and check it with my APVs ohm meters,then adjust to suit :)

One thing is,once mounted,they read something and after a short stabilization period,they might change,usually down--just made a coil on a line and it went from 5.6 to 4.1--std mesh oxyd with rolling paper,vaped it a while and there it is at 4.1 now,tasting great at 4V

But there are charts around https://www.pelicanwire.com/resistance-wire-alloys/kanthal-a-1-872-ohm-alloy/
Oh my! I saw that chart and it scared me. I have VV too. I guess I'll be relying on my multimeter then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread