What size wick for rebuilding Kanger coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
It can, but trying to finagle a silica wick into it will be a complete bear. Your best bet is to do a full recoil/ rewick of it. It's definitely less maddening. You can try threading cotton through the original coil (just cotton off a Q tip), but I can't really say it will be a great (or horrible, for that matter!) vape.
There's about 9 million different threads about recoiling protank heads in the clearomizer forums, so jump in and take a look once you get a chance :vapor:

Tapped out on a phone... I think

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
You could replace the two flavor wicks and dry burn the primary wick and coil. I'm not sure if flavor wicks are the 1 or 2mm silica -- I think maybe 2mm . If you want, you can go next level and replace wick and coils using premade/prewrapped. They get poo-pawed but are working great for me. You can get 50 for under $10.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
What lovevanilla said is what I do so far and what I was going to say.

The silica wick will not burn, so just remove the top wicks (flavor wick) and dry burn the coil wick. Just pulse the power till the coil starts to glow red each time, but don't hold it red for too long our you will burn out the coil.

cartherium

Nov 24, 2013
Austin, TX
I have a ProTank 2 that I've re-wicked the head of with the stock coil. I got a bag of organic cotton balls from Whole Foods (WalGreens I think also carries them) to use as the wick and it seems to be performing well with no leaking to speak of.

Basically, I soaked the head for a bit to loosen up the gunk on the coil, popped the chimney off, pulled the flavor and coil wick out. Dry burned the coil (use short bursts, brush ash off coil, rinse, repeat as necessary) then threaded some of the cotton through the coil. I don't twist the cotton before I pull it through so it has better saturation (learned that the hard way).

Threading is a bit tricky, because it will kind of collapse the coil in the direction you're threading, but you can fix the coil once you're satisfied with the wick with some really fine tip tweezers. At this point you can play with the spacing on your coil a bit to space the winding out a bit more evenly. I don't know that it actually makes a real difference, but in my head it does.

Once you're threaded, cut the wick to size, then cut a small piece for flavor wick. At this point I dry assemble and do a few test pulls (attached to the battery, but don't actually hit the battery button or you'll burn the cotton and have to start over) to make sure airflow is okay, knowing that it will change a bit when the wick is saturated.

Once you're satisfied with the build, reassemble and fill. If you notice any leaking, try adding a little more flavor wick or try a bit more cotton in the coil wick. It was pretty trial and error for me to find the right amount to use for it to perform the way I wanted.

Anyway, sorry for the book of a post, but I hope it helps in some way.

Wizard Bliss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2013
somewhere oklahoma
Thanks for all the help . . . What I did tonight was A.) clean the heads in boiling water, removed the shaft and flavor wicks, pulsed the coils until they looked clean and made my own flavor wicks with the cotton I had. Biggest issue was cutting the cotton, it would snag and pull or not cut right but I finally got them all proper and rebuilt. .. I just need to remember to prime them due to the cotton wicks so I don't fry those. So far it's working ... but I like the 100 coils for 10 bucks idea. I'd be terrified of messing up the ohms and blowing batteries before I get an MVP. And trying to finagle a wick into an old coil seems more tedious than I am prepared for at this time. Once I opened up a head and had the coil exposed it seemed recessed a bit more than I thought it would be, thus way more difficult to rewick the coil. Anyway.. I'm vaping a rebuilt head with no leaks and a good hit like new. Thanks tons for all the help.
Blessings and Joy,
Bliss
PS. I'll keep an eye out for the premade and prewrapped coils .I didn't know they existed...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks for all the help . . . What I did tonight was A.) clean the heads in boiling water, removed the shaft and flavor wicks, pulsed the coils until they looked clean and made my own flavor wicks with the cotton I had. Biggest issue was cutting the cotton, it would snag and pull or not cut right but I finally got them all proper and rebuilt. .. I just need to remember to prime them due to the cotton wicks so I don't fry those. So far it's working ... but I like the 100 coils for 10 bucks idea. I'd be terrified of messing up the ohms and blowing batteries before I get an MVP. And trying to finagle a wick into an old coil seems more tedious than I am prepared for at this time. Once I opened up a head and had the coil exposed it seemed recessed a bit more than I thought it would be, thus way more difficult to rewick the coil. Anyway.. I'm vaping a rebuilt head with no leaks and a good hit like new. Thanks tons for all the help.
Blessings and Joy,
Bliss
PS. I'll keep an eye out for the premade and prewrapped coils .I didn't know they existed...

I hear you on the cotton; so far, I've been pulling like a small enough piece of cotton off a cotton ball and rolling it with fingers into a piece of thread then laying that thread into the flavor wick spot; about 3 to 6 threads (still experimenting with amount - currently using 4), then once;;;;; wait- then maybe PRIME the head by adding a drop or two DIRECTLY onto the cotton before closing up; then once I close up and put the cap on, a scissors snips of the extra cotton (for neatness - used to leave the extra but found it not helpfull)

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I'd be terrified of messing up the ohms and blowing batteries before I get an MVP.

When you get that MVP2 buy some Kanathal wire in 30 or 32 gauge with it! Rebuilding Kanger coils wicked with sterile cotton is wicked easy and works great!

Here's one I recently did - 7 wraps of 32 gauge around a 1.4 mm micro screrwdriver wicked with cotton = 2.3 Ohms!
kangercoiltop1.jpg

Wizard Bliss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2013
somewhere oklahoma
Wow thanks for the great help . . . and yes I think once I can get my hands on a MVP 2 I'll bump up to a RBA that I can auto Drip. i've watched some vids on the kanthal and wick for the Kangar heads and I did and will prime the wicks since I used some cotton. I didn't realize boiling the heads might trash the rubber or silicone bits. Still working through the Learning Curve, you folks are totally on top of the game. Thanks again!!
Bliss

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
Lots of great advice already in the thread. I recoil mine with 32g kanthal around a 2mm screwdriver, 5/6 wrap gives me a 2.2 ohm coil. I use sterile cotton balls from CVS for the wick.

Before I started using cotton, I was using 2mm silica wicks with a single 2mm silica wick as a flavor wick. I put a sewing needle down the center of the 2mm ekowool wick, did a 5/6 wrap with my kanthal, and it worked well. The only reason I switched to cotton was because I ran out of ekowool and could get the cotton at the drugstore. I liked the results so much that I never bothered to order more ekowool.

As always ... YMMV!

HTH

Aviz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
SF E. Bay , CA
Here is a quick fix that woeked on all my PTK and Evods :
Leave the coil alone.

1. Remove the Flavor wick
2. Wash the coil
3. Assemble the coil on the base and give it a few pulses for it to clear the gunk (smoke)
4. Take a 2mm silica wick, open the strands - there should be 6 strands. use 3 strands
5. Place 2-3 strands (less than equivalent) where the flavor which was

the above works Fine even if the coil is all gunky as long as the wick in the coil is not burned out. it takes 5 minutes.

Last edited:

F.O.Bean

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2014
Washington, PA
Damn, rebuilds are WAY over my head right now. I have [2] Davide BCCs and just keep buying 1.8-2.5ohm atoms. My vape supplier is a good friend I went to HS with, so when I get some free time, Im going to his new store for a few hours and were going to rebuild some atoms! I will start with EVOD/Davide/Protank atoms, and will eventually progress to RSSTs and the like! I just love my Davides and would like to continue using them for awhile!

What do you guys/gals suggest? I can also get some AGAs pretty cheap from him too! Im getting my first VV/VW mod next week. Hes selling me a brand spankin new iTaste SVD for $30, so I will have a complete package with the SVD, [2] 2000mah AW IMR batts, and a nitecore 2bay intellicharger for $60! Im SOOO pumped. The last 1.5 years since I started vaping, ive just been using Ego-C and Anyvape batts. They are small, last all day, and are very portable, so I had no reason to get into mods/rebuildables. Well, that all changed and Im diving in head first! And rebuilding wont be too hard for me because I went to school back in 2001/2002 for electronics, so it should be second nature ;)

Thanks for all of the info guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread