Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well, if nicotine is banned in Australia, then I guess finding it would be a headline. Why, I don't know but news is news. In relation to the other items found,there was this paragraph buried at the bottom.

"Prof Larcombe said most were benign food additives but their safety, when heated between 200 to 250 degrees and inhaled, was unknown"

So yeah, PG is also antifreeze. Sounds terrible until you hear it's used in the food industry all the time. As for overheating PG/VG juice, the production of organic breakdown products like formaldehyde is well known. Which is why we don't overheat our juice of possible. Even then it rarely exceeds safety standards and are lower than typically found in a cigarette.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Some of the e-liquid originated from the US.

mja212059-1.jpg

mja212059-2.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Every time i see the phrase “study shows” I smell BS. A single study is not how science is supposed to work. There are generally multiple studies used to corroborate or refute each other. A single study generally means the results are crap, so I went into this with my radar turned on. There are two people talking in the article. The researcher and the scienc writer. ALL of the inflammatory claims in the headline are made by the science writer and NONE of them are directly supported by the scientist, with the exception of the presence of nicotine.

More yellow journalism at it’s best.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
More yellow journalism at it’s best.

That is because it takes about as much effort to be a "journalist" these days as it does to be a "photographer". The internet has become littered with both and very ... very few of them know how to do it correctly.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Oh and what is even the point of getting started with vaping in Australia if you can't even get nic liquid?
Customs let it through. So we just import.

My state has a potential $15000.00 fine for possession. But it has never been enforced

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I didn't read the linked article, but typically these "studies" have click bait headlines and after reading the study results you find there are only "trace" amounts of potentially harmful chemicals in e-liquid or vapor.

After 30+ years of smoking, I'm not so concerned about vaping trace amounts of potentially harmful chemicals. Nobody is saying vaping is safe, just safer than smoking. Vaping is harm reduction.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I didn't read the linked article, but typically these "studies" have click bait headlines and after reading the study results you find there are only "trace" amounts of potentially harmful chemicals in e-liquid or vapor.

After 30+ years of smoking, I'm not so concerned about vaping trace amounts of potentially harmful chemicals.
And you would be correct in this case. Lol

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
My problem (as always) with this so called "studies", is the general public takes it as gospel truth. This is published on New Zealands biggest news station...!
We as educated vapers generally knows facts from fiction, but the public are the ones being swept up. Its so unnecessary and does so much harm to vaping...:grr:

Noted is the lack of identification where the stated 'e liquids' were manufactured or sourced.
I have paid good money for p and poohjuices. They must have gone where I bought my first factory loads from.
Like stats & anything you read, it's malleable to whatever 'truth' fits your POV as an author.
Who actually commissioned the study? Who funded it? Where did the $ come from? Political or industrial affiliations?
Who's up for the challenge of banning public toilet door handles?

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Noted is the lack of identification where the stated 'e liquids' were manufactured or sourced.
I have paid good money for p and poohjuices. They must have gone where I bought my first factory loads from.
Like stats & anything you read, it's malleable to whatever 'truth' fits your POV as an author.
Who commissioned the study? Who funded it?

Well if the study was from the US I would put money on it being from Stanton Glantz. Maybe he has an Australian cousin "Crocodile Glantz"? Either way it's the same shoddy work, and data manipulation.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well if the study was from the US I would put money on it being from Stanton Glantz. Maybe he has an Australian cousin "Crocodile Glantz"? Either way it's the same shoddy work, and data manipulation.
Not totally sure the research is bad. It’s the ridiculous and almost non topical spin that the “writer” put on it that is the major problem. The issue is basically that the research does not show what the author claims it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread