What to do - Proposed bans in 4 states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I have a ? and I really don't know where to ask it. Didn't the Appellate court rule that the e-cig can be regulated as a tobacco product? If so then that changes the whole NY ban proposal I would think.

S 1399-MM-1. PROHIBITION OF PRODUCTS NOT DEFINED AS tobacco PRODUCTS
OR APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION. 1.
PRODUCTS CONTAINING OR DELIVERING NICOTINE INTENDED OR EXPECTED FOR
HUMAN CONSUMPTION THAT ARE NOT tobacco PRODUCTS, AS DEFINED IN SECTION
THIRTEEN HUNDRED NINETY-NINE-AA OF THIS ARTICLE, SHALL NOT BE DISTRIB
UTED OR SOLD UNLESS SUCH PRODUCTS HAVE BEEN APPROVED BY THE UNITED
STATES FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION FOR SALE AS TOBACCO USE CESSATION OR
HARM REDUCTION PRODUCTS OR FOR OTHER MEDICAL PURPOSES AND ARE BEING
MARKETED AND SOLD SOLELY FOR THAT APPROVED PURPOSE.
2. IN ADDITION TO ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS AUTHORIZED IN SECTION THIRTEEN
HUNDRED NINETY-NINE-EE OF THIS ARTICLE, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL MAY APPLY
IN THE NAME OF THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK ON FIVE DAYS NOTICE,
FOR AN ORDER COMPELLING COMPLIANCE WITH THIS SECTION. IN ANY SUCH
PROCEEDING THE COURT MAY IMPOSE A CIVIL PENALTY IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO
EXCEED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR EACH VIOLATION.

If the court ruled that they are tobacco products and can be regulated as such, wouldn't that make this null and void?

The problem is that they are not accepting the Federal definition of tobacco product. They are specifying as defined in the State law:

...THAT ARE NOT TOBACCO PRODUCTS, AS DEFINED IN SECTION THIRTEEN HUNDRED NINETY-NINE-AA OF THIS ARTICLE

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Right, I had thought judge leon ruled officially that they were tobacco products. If he had then this proposal would be moot, correct?

No. As Elaine pointed out, the proposed New York legislation specifically refers to the New York definition of "tobacco product", found in 1399-aa of the New York Public Health Law.

So even if the federal question were finally and authoritatively settled, and e-cigs were ruled tobacco products for purposes of the feds, Rosenthal's bill would still invite litigation - over the proper interpretation of the New York definition of "tobacco product" as it relates to e-cigs and to this outrageous proposed sales ban (as well as a careful review of such questions as whether the federal definition should preempt or otherwise make unenforceable this New York attempt to ban sales to adults).

sjrily

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
NW Arkansas
But wouldn't that fall under Federal Preemption of State Law? I mean, this would clearly be a constitutional conflict, right?

I've been trying to dissect a bill up in Tennessee and it raises the same issue. (Tennessee Senate Bill 910 - ban on e-cigs or sloppy language? ) If they are trying to ban the sale to all individuals (and I'm not so sure that's what this particular bill is trying to do, since it clearly amends all article related to minors' access to tobacco products to read "tobacco products or electronic cigarettes") but if they are - the language used requires that e-cigarettes met criteria that by federal law, it can never meet.

What got me started on this bill was that instead of actually banning all sales (as is everybody's first thought), it might be more about setting regulations regarding e-cig sales and distribution to minors, and putting into state law that non-FDA approved, non-tobacco smoking cessation products can not be sold (albeit sloppy language) - We DON'T want to petition articles intended to regulate sales to minors....

But my other concern is that if it IS a ban on all sales, how can they legally require a product to seek approval from an agency that is - by law - not allow to approve it??? Isn't that what many of these other bills are stating? I would think that with language like that, states would be sued before the ink dries.

In the case of the Tennessee bill, it also has the "as defined in 39-17-1503" but it also has electronic cigarettes being ADDED to 39-17-1503, which defines tobacco products. And if all e-cig sales are banned, then it makes all the other 20+ articles in the bill moot (regulating sales to minors).

I'm with ya, Rob, I would really like to understand what's at play here - I can't make sense of it and it's driving me batty (ier). I made a short novel out of my points in the other post, but nobody's biting. Are all of these really flat out bans or are we missing something?

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Take notice folks, all the states that want the ban on e-cigs are Blue states, not Red ones. Make a difference in 2012. Stop voting for these idiots that want to regulate everything, salt, sugar, sodas, fast food, etc. Take it from someone who believes in individualism and the private sector.

CraigW

Last edited:

Ulmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
Ulm, Germany
It is funny about people keep saying... "there is just not enough testing yet... not enough research....etc." It's just lack of education on the part of most people and maybe a touch of ignorance, people will always dislike things they don't understand. There will always be those that care more about "impressions" vs facts.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
"I sent you separately a copy of the fiscal note on this bill. Many of us have to rely on the information in them for a background when we are not familiar with e-cigarettes, for example."

To me this means that very few representatives take the time to do their own research. We need to keep calling, writing, and informing politicians.

There are probably plenty of Representatives who smoke, or have friends and loved ones who do.

Best way is to show, not tell.

It would be great if the ecig industry could pool resources and set them up with some product, they could try it themselves, and then they would know what an "e-cig" is. Right now it's just a vague concept for them.

Desert Willow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Bullhead City, AZ
This thread was started in 2010, when we were battling the worst of it. FDA is no longer confiscating shipments from China. I have not experienced and hassles for well over a year personally.

Right now, like Racehorse posted above, I vape everywhere openly to let PV's be seen in action. I still run into curious people who ask about it, but it is becoming less often these days.

FAAmecanic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
Crestview, FL
And I say that the more e-cigs gain in popularity, the greater resistance from our "honorable" lawmakers we vapers will face.

Bottom line, Republican or Democrat (in the USA), is that if they arent taxing it...they will find a way to do so. And if that means e-cigs and/or e-juice will "need to be regulated" then that is what they will do. Our politicians (a good majority of them) are drunk on the power that taxation brings. The fact there is something out there that they arent taxing, and worse taking away precious tobacco tax revenue, the more they will want to find a way to tax it.

To think anything else is just delusional on our part...

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
And I say that the more e-cigs gain in popularity, the greater resistance from our "honorable" lawmakers we vapers will face.

Bottom line, Republican or Democrat (in the USA), is that if they arent taxing it...they will find a way to do so. And if that means e-cigs and/or e-juice will "need to be regulated" then that is what they will do. Our politicians (a good majority of them) are drunk on the power that taxation brings. The fact there is something out there that they arent taxing, and worse taking away precious tobacco tax revenue, the more they will want to find a way to tax it.

To think anything else is just delusional on our part...

Taxation would be the least of our worries. The FDA already tried to ban e-cigarettes and it took a Federal court case to stop that. The Agency has already announced it's intention to "regulate" e-cigarettes. However, if you believe that all they would want to do is protect the safety of the consumer, I have this bridge.....

The FDA can use the provisions of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act to make all but the earliest, least effective models pulled off the market.

The way I see it, the Administrative Branch of Government is drunk with power. So far, with few exceptions, all of the proposed bans on sales and/or indoor use at the local and state levels have been sponsored by and supported by Democrats in office. In fighting these bans, we have had much better luck in gaining support to oppose them by talking to members of the other party.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Taxation would be the least of our worries. The FDA already tried to ban e-cigarettes and it took a Federal court case to stop that. The Agency has already announced it's intention to "regulate" e-cigarettes. However, if you believe that all they would want to do is protect the safety of the consumer, I have this bridge.....

The FDA can use the provisions of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act to make all but the earliest, least effective models pulled off the market.

The way I see it, the Administrative Branch of Government is drunk with power. So far, with few exceptions, all of the proposed bans on sales and/or indoor use at the local and state levels have been sponsored by and supported by Democrats in office. In fighting these bans, we have had much better luck in gaining support to oppose them by talking to members of the other party.
I wonder how many "vapors" voted for the current President in power and those in the House and Senate in his Party. It would be interesting to know their numbers and their thoughts.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
"Our politicians (a good majority of them) are drunk on the power that taxation brings. The fact there is something out there that they arent taxing, and worse taking away precious tobacco tax revenue, the more they will want to find a way to tax it.

To think anything else is just delusional on our part..."

Nah, they can just keep raising the taxes on smoking. Thats the real villan in the publics eye, so they can keep raising it until folks are robbing banks to get a few packs of smokes. Thats what pariahs are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread