what was the turning point that started your vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started smoking when I was 14. I have fluctuated between .5 and 2.5 packs a day for almost 25 years, depending on stress level etc. I always enjoyed smoking, and the times I'd tried to quit (even using a Blu) were misery. I always said I was never going to quit, that eventually something would get me, might as well be something I like.

Then, my best friend's dad, a heavy smoker, died of lung cancer. A friend of mine, not much older than me, was just diagnosed with COPD and has to be on oxygen. My dad has had a heart attack, and I'm approaching the age when the heart problems start in my family. You can't smoke anywhere anymore anyway, so any time I had to travel, stay in a hotel or rent a car it was an annoyance. I'd been kicking around the idea of quitting, but no way was I going cold turkey as I enjoy life outside of prison, and none of the other methods had ever done anything for me. My husband doesn't smoke, and has been gently trying to persuade me to quit for a while because many of his friends are now suffering COPD or cancer from smoking and he doesn't want me to go that way. I don't smoke inside our house, just outside on the porch, and it was about to start being cold out, cold enough that shivering on the stoop to burn one was an unpleasant idea. The lady at the tobacco store where I bought smokes was always going on about how great her Ecto was, how far the technology had come and how much better it was than the cig-alikes I was already sure didn't work for me. I started going online, watching vaping videos and reading up on what I should maybe try. Then, I got tipsy one night while downtown waiting on my husband to get out of a meeting and happened to walk past a vape shop that was fairly new…so I interpreted it as a sign from the universe and went in and bought an eGo starter kit and some juice.

Honestly, I'd expected it to be hard. I figured it would still be a poor substitute, and I'd still have to tough it out making myself stick to the plan while possibly being really cranky and hard to live with for an indeterminate amount of time. (One of the reasons I'd been scared to REALLY try quitting was my dad's best friend, who had been done with cigarettes for 13 years at that point, telling me when I asked him did my cigarette make him want one, "I could eat that right now." Dang if I was going to go the rest of my life craving something so badly.) But I found to my great surprise that first night with an eGo that vaping was really pleasant. More pleasant than the cigarettes. I was way surprised. I'd figured I'd just use vaping to cut back. But I haven't had a cigarette or really even thought about wanting one more than just the briefest craving in over a month. Instead, I've been really getting into the technology of vaping, and trying different juices. I've already upgraded to an MVP 2.0 and am trying out different tanks. I really enjoy the sensation of vaping, the taste of the different juices, the fact that the entire experience is so easy to customize, and I'm lucky to have several great vape shops in town where the people are all welcoming and helpful. And my sweet husband, bless his heart, the other day when I said I was totally going to have to quit spending money on vaping stuff, said to me "If it's helping you quit smoking, buy whatever you want." :D

I have smoked one cigarette since I started vaping for real, and it was so disgusting that I put it out before I'd finished half of it. I'm enjoying getting my nicotine in what I feel like is a more pleasant way, with the added benefit that I can now smell, taste and breathe 10x better than I have in a long time.

Treborsmug

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2014
Dallas Texas
BlueCanary: Awesome!. Now..I hate to sound like a salesman.....okay..a spokesman for buildables. If your good with your hands give Mech Mods, RDA's and RTA's a shot. My fave stores (Vivid Smoke and Vape Royalty). Clones work great and not $$$. Don't care what others say. I've got 10 of them. Okay...so how much did we pay for carton of cigs and threw the carboard and butts in the trash? Vivid Smoke has Combo deals for as low as $55. Get a charger, 2 batteries, some coil wire. Total maybe $100. Walgreens sells organic cotton balls (80 count bag $3) Once you've got all your start up stuff you not spending anymore. The flavor and nic hit is the best and great clouds. You just can't go out the door with RTA's. they don't like being tipped over. They leak. Upright on desk only. I have Evod and Aerotank mini for going out the door with.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I have been trying to quit for years. Started smoking at the age of 10 or 11. Have smoked every chance I got since then. Pack a day for more than 20 years. Quit once in the middle of a personal maelstrom not quite as intense as your for about 6 months. Started again. Quit once for a girl, when we broke up went back to smoking. Tried Chantix, quit smoking for 3 days, gained 40 pounds, had some intense dreams that I personally found rather enjoyable. Tried cold turkey that sucked. My kids were like dad go smoke man. Found a little cigalike in my sons room with some ejuice and gave it a try. Liked it, bought a better setup, liked it. bought a better setup, liked it bought a better setup, liked it bought a better setup. So finally I am vaping with a setup that works for me and had my last puff of a cigar 10/4/14 at about 9am. The last few cigs\cigars i smoked prior to finally quitting didn't taste nearly as good as vaping. So here I am.

And if the choice for you is to vape or unravel, please vape, It isn't anyone elses concern but yours.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 60 (and some) 40 year 3 pad smoker. I was trying lozenges and gum and will power trying to at least cut down. Then some ecig add popped up on my computer. I really don't remember the brand. So I started googling and end up here on ECF. Two days later I ordered my starter kit. Three days later, it arrived. Three more days and I had quit. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect it would actually work...just ordered it on a whim. That was 2 1/2 years ago.

Sir Pouncival

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Indianapolis, IN, USA
I was tired of stinking, and tired of worrying about impending COPD and exacerbated heart disease. I hated myself for being a smoker, but I just couldn't quit. I tried the cigalikes a couple of times and was highly disappointed. I discovered the more advanced set-ups because of a good friend and it was a sealed deal at that point. I've never looked back, I didn't even smoke another stinky once I had my vape in my hand. They say that those wanting to quit any addiction go through stages of readiness... and I had been at the stage just before actually quitting for a few years already. I believe that if I had never been a smoker, I'd be like you and one of the rare people who picked up vaping even though I'd never been a smoker. I love it that much. :)

BlueCanary: Awesome!. Now..I hate to sound like a salesman.....okay..a spokesman for buildables. If your good with your hands give Mech Mods, RDA's and RTA's a shot. My fave stores (Vivid Smoke and Vape Royalty). Clones work great and not $$$. Don't care what others say. I've got 10 of them. Okay...so how much did we pay for carton of cigs and threw the carboard and butts in the trash? Vivid Smoke has Combo deals for as low as $55. Get a charger, 2 batteries, some coil wire. Total maybe $100. Walgreens sells organic cotton balls (80 count bag $3) Once you've got all your start up stuff you not spending anymore. The flavor and nic hit is the best and great clouds. You just can't go out the door with RTA's. they don't like being tipped over. They leak. Upright on desk only. I have Evod and Aerotank mini for going out the door with.

LOL you sound like the guys at my favorite vape shop. I was in buying coils the other day, and they were showing me this Siglei 30w that was sooo pretty, but I was like nah, I'm good with my MVP, and they said that the 30w would be good for when I decide I want to try dripping and using RDAs. I said "oh, I'm not trying to fool with dripping." They said "that's what everyone says." I said "I don't think I can rebuild coils." They said "That's what everyone says. You can. We can show you, and if you still don't want to fool with it, we can do it for you." They were like, it'll be a good step between what you have and mechanical mods. I said "oh, I don't think I need a mechanical mod." Some guy who was trying out juice chimed in "that's what everyone says."
I'll have to check out that website, thanks!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome cassondruh :)

I'm 8-months smoke free now after telling myself for a VERY long time that I needed to quit. Mentally, I just wasn't ready.

I encountered e-cigs about 4-1/2 years ago, when a client of mine was hitting on one during a meeting we were having. He gave me info to the online store from which he got his stuff. I got a kit and the pre-filled cartridges and dabbled for awhile. Battery life left lots to be desired, and the flavor of the pre-filled carts left lots to be desired, too.

Year later, gave it another go, but still had the issue with battery life and flavor. I would normally smoke two cigarettes on my way to work, and the e-cig could barely last that long before it had to be recharged.

Last summer (2013) I watched my uncle die from lung cancer, and I knew I really needed to evaluate my life choices. February, I decided to give it one more go, so without doing much research, I went back to the online site from which I'd gotten my first e-cigs and realized I could get blank cartridges and liquid in bottles so I ordered up some of that. Battery life still not great, and I was constantly having to refill the carts. Jumped to a "better" set from same company, so longer battery life, and now a larger tank. Hmmmm, getting better. THEN I find ECF and realize there's more to vaping than just that one company :facepalm: Found a shop here in my town (thanks to ECF) that I had no idea even existed.

I'd decided that I'd spent enough money (at that time!) and couldn't justify spending money on cigarettes too, so I just never bought another pack after close to 30 years of a PAD. Been spending plenty of $$$$ this summer, but I think I have all the goodies I need for now. I may add a dripper (none of my rigs can handle sub-ohmming, but that's o.k. for me) because I've been rebuilding my kanger heads and kayfun clones all summer. Started DIY'ing juice a few months ago, so at this point I have no "need" to spend any more money on anything, and I've finally broken even.

The best, however was about a month ago. I'd come down with a nasty head cold. Normally, that would have instantly translated into a nasty case of bronchitis. However, it never shifted to my lungs, and I got over it in just a few days. THAT'S my bonus :)

I haven't tried a cigarette (they mostly smell bad to me now), but I have thought about it. I just grab a vape (one is almost always close by) and I'm all good to go.

Good luck and hang in there - you're going to make it!

rodeo302

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2014
Minnesota
I was smoking 2 packs of non filters a day while chewing a tin and a half a day then I saw a kiosk at a mall selling e cigs u figured I would buy one and see if it would be cheaper then I started working construction and I realised that if I was still smoking I wouldn't be able to do my job turns out it is still kinda cheaper but it's a good hobby to have.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
I'm curious what everyone's experience was like when they began vaping. What was the turning point for you when you decided to pick up an ecig or vape pen? I have seen a lot of former smokers on the forum and was curious to read some of your stories if you don't mind sharing.

My starting smoking in the first place was kinda like your starting vaping situation. I'd tried cigarettes and noticed they calmed me down a little, so during a particularly stressful period I transitioned from experimental teenager to full-time smoker . . . something I regretted for the next 15 or so years.

Starting vaping was a whole different motivation. I just wanted to quit smoking and be healthier. At first I was underwhelmed (the technology 4 years ago was a lot different than now), but I saw the potential so I stuck with it. Transitioning to smoke-free was a combination of finding the right juice and the fact that I smoked outside and it was sub-zero out, darned New England winter giving me that extra motivation to vape so I could stay inside ;-) It'll be 4 years smoke free in just a few more months

I get funny looks by the smokers in my life, because they know I've never smoked before and I think they are disappointed, in a way. That I started using nicotine I mean. Oh well, not their decision

Well, being an ex-smoker (and even while I was still smoking), I always would be disappointed in someone when they would start smoking because I knew firsthand how hard it was to quit. A lot of people just don't understand e-cigs enough to address your situation in any other manner. I constantly have smokers I know asking me "when are you gonna give that thing up?" :facepalm: Even in the vaping community there is occasionally some disapproval of never-smokers picking it up. But like you said, not their decision :)

Regardless of your situation (current smoker, former smoker, never smoker, vaper with or without nicotine, etc), you'll find that here is a great community and a huge repository of information with one thing in common: we enjoy vaping, it's a lifestyle choice for us all :) Some use vaping as a transition and give it up after a while or reduce their nicotine intake over time, others aren't able to step down and stay satisfied, and yet others make a full-blown hobby out of it. We accept all kinds

Welcome to ECF!

Hello!
I've been a PAD smoker for many years. I've also wanted to quit for many years! Nothing had a satisfying or successful result for me.

This July, my organization instituted a smoke free environment. OK....so I can drive around the block a couple times a day... Well, I just found out our insurance premium is going up $5 per pay unless you qualify for the $5 discount....which amazingly enough includes that you are not a smoker. Hmmm....my friend/co-worker and I decided it was time to try vaping (cig prices are also getting pretty hefty.)

I tried my first e-cig on 10/11/14 and I haven't bought a pack of cigs since! ( I did finish my last pack of cigs...took a week) So I've been smoke free since 10/18/14. I am amazed how easy it's been! I could kick myself for not doing this years ago! Well that's my story!

jeffo937

Oct 29, 2014
Dayton, Oh
I inadvertently quit smoking when I ran into a guy vaping in a doctors office a few months ago. He replied to several questions I asked, so I gave it a try with a 650mah ego stick and CE4 clearomizer. I went into it with no preconceived notions and never went back to analog cigs. Vaping satisfies my nicotine cravings. I have no plans to get off of nicotine. If the government bans the products, I will financially support the vape cartels that emerge as a result of such government actions. Life is too short for me to spend any time giving a crap about political motivations.

cassondruh

Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Oregon
Aww, thank you everyone, for sharing your stories! This seems like a really supportive community and I've learned a lot already from browsing various threads in different areas.
I don't know how common smoking is in various fields, but I've been in the mental health field for a little over six years. I'd watched a good 75%-80% of my co-workers of various positions outside in the designated smoking areas. Of course working in the field comes with a lot of stress, like a lot of careers probably do. Honestly, drinking or smoking has never been an option for me that even really crossed my mind during stressful times. I don't know, maybe hearing a co-worker talk about her vape pen a while back just stuck in my mind as a curiosity I wanted to explore.
I've taken prescription ativan when I'm super stressed in the past, but vaping calms me and takes the anxiety burden right off my shoulders most of the time. I'm going to stay with the lowest dose of nicotine I can. I'm hovering around 3mg, but have a 10mg nearby for the rough times.

My mom has been a heavy smoker for the longest time, and started when she was fifteen. I'm thinking I'd like to get her a setup for Christmas so maybe she will be curious and use it on her own free will. It's hard to listen to her intense coughing fits... just painful to even imagine what that's like because she coughs so hard. Crossing my fingers!

WarbossChoppa

Nov 3, 2014
USA
My grandfather died and he was a very heavy smoker and I saw myself going down the same road so I decided when he passed away I would quit smoking cigarettes for good which I found was way harder than I had ever anticipated, especially with the stressful life I already have. So my buddy gave me his Logic e-cigs when he bought his MVP. After about a month I upgraded to a iTaste Leo and then a month after that I bought my first mech mod. Never looked back to cigarettes and why should I when I can vape these delicious flavors I normally couldn't eat due to myself having Celiac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread