Should I start vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PotleCloud

Jun 22, 2015
I'm NOT a smoker, never smoked anything before. I'm looking into starting nicotine-free vaping because I have depression, anxiety, extreme stress, and just because it seems like a viable way to suppress my snacking cravings and to wind down after a long day. I would consider vaping 2mg juice, but I'd rather not if I have the choice of nicotine-free juice. Is this stupid or what? If I do start, I'm going to buy one of the Joyetech 510-something pens. Long name-ish. For juice, I'd like to try something from Virgin Vapor since that place has a decent reputation from what I've read. I have a shrimp allergy so I'm wondering if I have an allergy to one of the juice ingredients, so I'd like to have a bit of a testing phase for the first week.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Welcome to ECF. Unless you vape a shrimp flavored ejuice :shock:, you should be okay as far as the shrimp allergy is concerned.

I will leave it to others to answer the rest of your question. I am against vaping if you are not trying to quit smoking or keep from smoking. That is just my personal opinion and many others feel differently.

Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi and welcome to ECF :)

I'm not a doctor, these are my personal opinions only.

I vape because I smoked for 37 years, I was developing COPD symptoms and my doctor told me I should really stop smoking. Vaping was the only way I was able to do that. After vaping for three years I'm happy with it, I feel better and my doctor approves.

Vaping has some unknown risks. IMO the PG, VG and nicotine are probably quite safe. The flavorings we use have not been tested for inhalation and could prove to be a problem over time. I feel vaping is safer than smoking, but if I had not smoked I think I would not have started vaping.

If I were you I would talk this over with my doctor(s). They might not know much about vaping and the substances involved and you might benefit from giving them some information about it. I think it really all depends on risk factors. If you are quite obese and have medical issues stemming from that the risk from vaping might be worth it for you if vaping helps you with this. If your depression, anxiety and extreme stress are a medical risk for you that will factor into the decision too. Really, only you and your doctors can decide what the best path for you is.

As for the shrimp allergy, I don't think anything in non-fish flavored juices will bother you, but being careful about this is a great idea :)

Best of luck with it and do let us know how it all goes :thumb:

Siouxinpa

Jun 8, 2015
Central PA
Wow. Ok. I'll take this one point at a time.

Is this an either/or question? You'll either take up smoking or vaping. If so, then vape.

You may have heard that nicotine helps with depression, that is true and false. Nicotine binds to nerve receptors in the brain and turns them on which actually increases feelings of depression, but when the nicotine recedes they turn off which leaves you with an anti-depressant like effect. Source.

This is the same for the other symptoms you mentioned, anxiety & stress.

Curing cravings. VG is sweet and metabolizes in your system as sugar, so it has curbed MY sweet tooth. I've lost quite a few lbs since starting vaping and some of them I'll attribute to the taste of the vape. The vast majority of them however, I attribute to being able to be more active since I can finally breathe again.

Vaping is NOT risk free. We can be fairly certain that inhaling PG/VG and nicotine don't have long term health consequences, but flavorings are a huge question mark. What we do know, and why we vape, is that vaping is 99% safer than smoking.

With all that being said, I cannot recommend vaping to anyone for any reason other than a tobacco reduction/cessation effort.

nitewalkr

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2015
Sauga
Why vape at all if you are not a smoker. See; This became a common ground for smokers to have a healthier choice to substitute for their cravings. It will not help you if you are not a smoker, in fact I wouldnt recommend this to any non smoker.

If you are not a smoker then there are better alternatives to ease your depression such as, writing about what's bothering you, talking to friends, going to gatherings and such.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
No you shouldn't. Vaping has helped me quit smoking and dip. It doesn't help with anxiety or anything for me. Especially with 0mg. Vaping has no effect on me with snack cravings. Smoking did, vape does not. I can tell I gained some weight since I quit smoking. At the end of the day I'm not your parent and you're just asking for opinions. Honestly, I feel if a nonsmoker starts vaping, it's pointless and I don't agree with it. Again though, it's your life.

Personally anxiety and stress, music helps me the most with calming me down.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I started smoking about a decade ago because of anxiety, and it did help a lot. It kind of got me over a hump that was in my way. But after about ten years, the cigarettes started having negative consequences for my health, so I switched to vaping. I don't know if nicotine would calm you down, but I've dealt with mild to severe anxiety, and i have tried all the meds, so I understand how debilitating it can be. With that in mind, I would take the unproven risk of vaping if it did help with my anxiety. So hey, give it a shot. If it doesn't work for you, at least you tried. 3mg isn't a lot, but can be. If you're smoking a standard 2ohmish coil that's practically nothing. But if you're sub ohming, thats enough for a pack a day smoker. So keep that in mind. Before you purchase make sure to ask us, cause there is a lot of junk product out there right now and things have really picked up this year.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I agree with what the others say. If you can avoid vaping altogether, then do so. There are many safer options to cope with relaxing, or snacking issues.
However, if you even THINK about picking up a cigarette, then I would say pick up a vape instead. But in the long run, both would just be a band-aid over any current problems. My father never smoked... he would wind down by riding his bicycle, or taking a walk, or doing some sort of other hobby. For his snacking habbits, he changed from eating cereal in the middle of the night, to doing some sort of other hobby... working on computers and drinking tea.

Chibisaurus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2015
Las Vegas
No, Don't.
I do believe that vaping (from someone who never smoked) could lead to smoking, just because of our brains.
I started vaping to quit smoking, I one day plan on stopping vaping.

There are side effects of nicotine. (Vaping nicotine just like smoking it, messes up your teeth ect) People who smoke cigarettes are addicted to the nicotine, that is why they can't quit.

Vaping doesn't help food cravings , anxiety ect.
If your looking for a non medical way to help with these things
check out some Oil blends. I don't think i'm able to post a link to the ones I use, but I would be happy to PM it to you if you would like.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Why vape at all if you are not a smoker. See; This became a common ground for smokers to have a healthier choice to substitute for their cravings. It will not help you if you are not a smoker, in fact I wouldnt recommend this to any non smoker.

If you are not a smoker then there are better alternatives to ease your depression such as, writing about what's bothering you, talking to friends, going to gatherings and such.
And seeking professional help if you think it's become too much for you to handle on your own. Friends and family are nice, but they aren't trained to deal with this stuff, especially if it's becoming severe. There's no shame in asking for help. I did it.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Vaping doesn't help food cravings.

I've actually noticed dramatic (30lbs lost) reduction in food cravings. Especially if you get a juice that's the same or a similar flavor to what you crave. For me, peanut butter.
If your looking for a non medical way to help with these things
check out some Oil blends.
What kind of oil? Like hash oil? Essential oil? Mind you, with essential oils and other snake oil, you'd get the same effects if you just ate something off the ground. And as for cannabis oil, there's nothing safer than unsupervised narcotic consumption to treat medical issues.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I agree, if I wasn't an ex smoker then I wouldn't vape, there are better things to do with your money and time, I'm down to 3mg of nic now and feel much better, I started vaping because I was killing myself and I love my children, no other reason.

nancybout

ECF Veteran
I would honestly say no. I smoked for over 25 years. I have a husband who smoked with me but quit before vaping was around or he would likely be vaping with me.
I don't recommend vaping for depression. It won't do anything I recommend a doctor.
Good luck to u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
I'm NOT a smoker, never smoked anything before. I'm looking into starting nicotine-free vaping because I have depression, anxiety, extreme stress, and just because it seems like a viable way to suppress my snacking cravings and to wind down after a long day. I would consider vaping 2mg juice, but I'd rather not if I have the choice of nicotine-free juice. Is this stupid or what? If I do start, I'm going to buy one of the Joyetech 510-something pens. Long name-ish. For juice, I'd like to try something from Virgin Vapor since that place has a decent reputation from what I've read. I have a shrimp allergy so I'm wondering if I have an allergy to one of the juice ingredients, so I'd like to have a bit of a testing phase for the first week.

Your questioning things and doing research so that is a good sign. Have you tried asking those around you (hopefully loved ones) how they feel about your plan to self medicate? Advising somebody that is not a past smoker to start vaping is a difficult area. How did you conclude vaping might help you with those things? In other words, are you trying to keep from smoking cigs, or taking medicine? Have you spoken with a doctor to go over all viable ways to help you sort out your difficulties? I also read further down that you have decided to dust off your skates. I say YaY to that. Good old fashion physical activity just may be the ticket. If not and you chose to vape, come back and read, learn and ask lots so you are making an informed choice. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread