The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Whatcha Using :)

Discussion in 'RTA' started by AvaOrchid, Sep 26, 2019.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Super Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    So I'm new to the idea of RTA but I love the idea of not having to buy or rely on the availability of commercially made coils. I would really like to get an idea of what everyone uses, how experienced they are/what advice they wish they got at first, if they're a MTL or DTL fan and also what coil specs they use or if they make it themselves. I would love to just get some generalized information and maybe even find out how people select which coil to use for which RTA :) TIA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    My Calix v3 is always built and ready as a back up to my squonkers.
    I tend to use 26 or 28 AWG SS316 and wrap simple single coils.
    I use rayon as my wick.
    I started MTL (in 2012..) and now use what I call relaxed MTL/restricted DTL.
    I started rebuilding on a Vivinova in 2013 when replacement coils became unavailable due to Chinese new year.
    I buy a roll or two of wire every 18 months or so.
    I tend to vape with 70% VG between 15-24 watts using 6mg/ml freebase.

HTH
    I

• Love Love x 1
  3. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm a frankenvaper :D

I vape mtl on restricted lung hit RTAs - current faves are the Coppervape hussar project x RTA and the sjmy doggystyle 2k16 RTA.

I wick with cotton bacon prime and usually use ss316l 28ga wire. 5 or 6 wraps, 2.5mm id, around 0.5 - 0.6 ohm spaced coils. I use TC mode with them. Also sometimes use mtl ss316l fused clapton wire - 30*2/40 6 wraps 2.5mm id, 0.6 ohms :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. mimöschen

mimöschen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    As a DL-vaper I use only 2 different types of coils in various RTAs and RDAs.

Singlecoil

Juggerknot Mini, IJoy Exo, Crius 2

Tri-Core Fused Clapton
    26x3/40, 3.5mm ID, 4 wraps
    45-60 watts

Dualcoil

Boreas V2, IJoy Tornado Hero, Reload RTA, Wotofo Conqueror, Juggerknot

2x Dual-Core Fused Clapton
    26x2/38, 3mm ID, 5 wraps
    70-90 watts

5. vapdivrr

vapdivrr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Been using mtl rtas from the start, over 8 years and have never wanted or needed to change , so I vape exactly the same now as when I started, almost exactly. I started with 28 and 39g wire, but now use 26g exclusively. 6 wraps 2.4 mm coils gives me around a .7 resistance and at 20 ish watts and 24mg nic, it's a killer vape, heavy on TH, but low on mls of juice. I vape less than 3mls per day, so love small 2ml rtas. Wicking is rayon and use plain ole kanthal, no TC. I like a fairly tight draw, around 1.2 to 1.6mm. Preferred rtas are many, as I have at least 6 in rotation, all filled with different juices. Kayfun lite 2019 is nice, as well as the km3, reaper, erlkonigin, doggies, darvws, primes, etc. Theres not much that I wish I knew when I started, as it all was just starting out back then, but wicking is the key. It simply takes time to perfect a build and each rta has its quirks. My rtas never leak and never get dry hits, so its , imo, the best vape I can ask for....

• Like Like x 1