Whatcha Using :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
So I'm new to the idea of rta but I love the idea of not having to buy or rely on the availability of commercially made coils. I would really like to get an idea of what everyone uses, how experienced they are/what advice they wish they got at first, if they're a MTL or DTL fan and also what coil specs they use or if they make it themselves. I would love to just get some generalized information and maybe even find out how people select which coil to use for which RTA :) TIA

Reactions: AngeNZ

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
My Calix v3 is always built and ready as a back up to my squonkers.
I tend to use 26 or 28 AWG SS316 and wrap simple single coils.
I use rayon as my wick.
I started MTL (in 2012..) and now use what I call relaxed MTL/restricted DTL.
I started rebuilding on a Vivinova in 2013 when replacement coils became unavailable due to Chinese new year.
I buy a roll or two of wire every 18 months or so.
I tend to vape with 70% VG between 15-24 watts using 6mg/ml freebase.

HTH
I

• Love
Reactions: AvaOrchid

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm a frankenvaper :D

I vape mtl on restricted lung hit RTAs - current faves are the Coppervape hussar project x RTA and the sjmy doggystyle 2k16 RTA.

I wick with cotton bacon prime and usually use ss316l 28ga wire. 5 or 6 wraps, 2.5mm id, around 0.5 - 0.6 ohm spaced coils. I use TC mode with them. Also sometimes use mtl ss316l fused clapton wire - 30*2/40 6 wraps 2.5mm id, 0.6 ohms :thumb:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    As a DL-vaper I use only 2 different types of coils in various RTAs and RDAs.

Singlecoil

Juggerknot Mini, IJoy Exo, Crius 2

Tri-Core Fused Clapton
    26x3/40, 3.5mm ID, 4 wraps
    45-60 watts

Dualcoil

Boreas V2, IJoy Tornado Hero, Reload RTA, Wotofo Conqueror, Juggerknot

2x Dual-Core Fused Clapton
    26x2/38, 3mm ID, 5 wraps
    70-90 watts

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Been using mtl rtas from the start, over 8 years and have never wanted or needed to change , so I vape exactly the same now as when I started, almost exactly. I started with 28 and 39g wire, but now use 26g exclusively. 6 wraps 2.4 mm coils gives me around a .7 resistance and at 20 ish watts and 24mg nic, it's a killer vape, heavy on TH, but low on mls of juice. I vape less than 3mls per day, so love small 2ml rtas. Wicking is rayon and use plain ole kanthal, no TC. I like a fairly tight draw, around 1.2 to 1.6mm. Preferred rtas are many, as I have at least 6 in rotation, all filled with different juices. Kayfun lite 2019 is nice, as well as the km3, reaper, erlkonigin, doggies, darvws, primes, etc. Theres not much that I wish I knew when I started, as it all was just starting out back then, but wicking is the key. It simply takes time to perfect a build and each rta has its quirks. My rtas never leak and never get dry hits, so its , imo, the best vape I can ask for....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread