Status
Not open for further replies.

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Hi,

I am jumping back into vaping after quite a while.
I quit smoking/vaping for 3 years but started smoking again recently and want to jump back into vaping.
I used to build my own atomizers on an I-Atty from GG in the early days of RTA's.
Now I already know I want a versatile mod that will be able to provide me with MTL and DTL depending on what I am feeling like (and especially since I have not tried DTL yet).

I have my MTL RTA already selected but now I need to find which DTL RTA to buy.

What is objectively the best DTL RTA I can buy atm?
Keep in mind I want something in the 30-50$ price range like most of them are nowadays.
I don't want to pay close to 150-200$ like back in the day and be disapointed (sadly the I-atty wasn't very good and went back to punching cartomizers and putting them in a tank.

Thanks!

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Objectively there is nothing like "the best RTA". It's all up to what you want, or what someone seems best.

So the question is, what do you want or expect? Single coil, dual coil, top coiler, bottom coiler, GTA-style, flavour chasing, cloud chasing,...
There are so many choices and every tank has it's advantages and quirks.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Honestly, as much as ECF hates the idea of clowns, you can't go wrong with a Kayfun styled tank...

Search: KF styled: m.FastTech.com

I have also heard good things about the Doggystyle, Skyline, and Merlin.

Then there's the Digiflavor Siren. I like it, but it's a bit trickier to wick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Objectively there is nothing like "the best RTA". It's all up to what you want, or what someone seems best.

So the question is, what do you want or expect? Single coil, dual coil, top coiler, bottom coiler, GTA-style, flavour chasing, cloud chasing,...
There are so many choices and every tank has it's advantages and quirks.

Yeah I get that it is all about what you are looking for and it's subjective, what I meant was is there a good versatile DTL RTA out there that pretty much everyone likes and has a good build quality.

When I used to vape it was pretty much all single coil and I never tried a dual coil rebuildable. I have a feeling that since for RTA you want massive clouds and taste that dual would be better? Correct me if I am wrong. Ideally I think I would prefer it to be either gta style or bottom coiler for a cooler vape and less chance of spitback. Definitely more of a flavor chaser but also want some decent clouds. I also want a tanks that as a minimum of leakage and flooding, from what I can remember those two aspect are what turned me off at the time.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Eliminating leaking and flooding in a bottom coil/GTA? Not gonna happen. All bottom coil tanks are bottles with cotton and wire plugging holes in the bottom. They're gonna leak. Especially if they're left to sit for a while. A balance is reached when as much liquid is vaped out as is fed to the cotton. Vape too little, and the coil floods and leaks. Vape too much, and it's a dry hit.

The top air tanks such as the OBS Engine and Geekvape Zeus can prevent leaking, but then your coil is marinating in juice and flooding is really common... unless, again, it's vaped as fast as the cotton wicks and not left to sit.

This is precisely the reason I prefer RDTAs... No flooding, and no leaking (if kept upright). Spitback can be mitigated through coil placement and drip tip selection. Temperature can be controlled through wattage and build adjustment.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
For higher wattage vaping past 100w with lots of clouds and flavour I like the IJoy Tornado Hero quite a bit.
My favourite in the middle wattage range around 50w is the OBS Engine for dual or the OBS Crius II for single coil. Although the Troll RTA is a good choice too.
For lower wattages a Kayfun 5 is not too bad. Although I no longer vape that low.

That said I prefer tanks with a diameter of 24 or 25mm, because of the larger build deck compared to 22mm atties.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
@Shawn Hoefer
No. I can't second that.
There are RTAs out there, that don't leak or flood when wicked correctly.
My Engine sat filled for a whole week on my shelf. No flooding. No spitback.
The same is true for RTAs with juiceflow control. Shut it off and there will be no leaking whatsoever. But even with the jfc open they can keep the liquid in for quite some time.
Although I like RDTAs very much, they are not my first choice for out and and about, just because you have to keep them upright all the time, or they leak more than any RTA could ever do. Walking around with a pocket full of juice is definitively not my prefered dressing style.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some of the recommendations you are getting are NOT DL, like the Kayfuns (maybe v5 exempted). A lot of folks really love the Engine and find it to be a great DL RTA. I don't DL but based on what I've heard, I will say a LOT of folks love it and find it very easy to work with. A Hussar clone (Coppervape) is an inexpensive clone that is actually better than the original per many folks recommendations, it is very versatile (you can buy one or two coil decks and various airflow options) and inexpensive and well liked by many as well. With an airflow reducer it can be pretty MTL or restricted lung hit, OR just plain old DL. It might be something to try that wouldn't break the bank.

Best of luck,

Anna

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Yeah... my bad... I see the T in thr middles and read MTL no matter what the first letter is. Oops...

For DL, there are many, and I mean MANY!

I srand by my earlier statement regarding flooding and leaking, though. Whereas it's true a balance can be struck, it's rare... there will be leaking, and there will be flooding...

Additionally, there are leakproof RDTAs... even when tipped over... I have yet to make my Pharaoh, Medusa, or Medusa Reborn leak. Again... it's rare, but doable.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I love my Engine Nanos. 5ml easy install and wick. Engine (dual) is good to, but IMO you sacrifice flavor. I think the Zeus will equal or be better than the Nano. Not a dual coil fan, but have had the Engine. No leaks and easy learning curve for wicking.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
There is an inverted catch cup or locking ring in the three I mentioned. No leaks. Just saying. Also saying our disagreement is not helping the OP.
I know. I own all three too.
Nonetheless do they leak over time.
And I believe it helps the OP to know, that your praise of RDTAs as the absolute pinnacle of rebuildable tanks is nonsense.
But yes. We should end that discussion here. :thumb:

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Can I just say that most rebuildables may leak over time, some more than others? It's kind of a moot discussion, since wicking skill and so many factors come into play. I'm quite sure that I've setup tanks that were horrible leakers for me, that someone else may have done very well with?

Heck, even drop in coil tanks can leak or at least appear to be leaking if you leave them full and unattended for long enough-- I'm sure evaporation and whatnot plays a role too.

I don't think any tank is totally leakproof under the right circumstances, honestly. RTA/RTDA/RDA/drop in coils, whatever, they may all wind up empty under the right circumstances and time period. That's what liquids that aren't contained in a vacuum do, correct? If I expected to never get e-juice on me, well, I'd be disappointed I think....

So, moving on, to the OP, do any of these options look good to you???

Anna

Krang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
La Baie, Quebec
Hi, so all these discussions led me to watch even more videos and educated myself on several things. One of them where RDTA's which I had no idea what they were.

Vaping has evolved quite allot. :)

Well, I really do think what I am looking for is an RTA. ( I will be buying a RDA on the side)
I understand that leaking and flooding can't be eliminated, I kind of already knew it wasn't really possible seeing how these work.
I am fine with the occasional flooding or leakage when I can retrace it to my build or to another factor such as time or physics (leaving an RTA lying on a table for several days).
What I want is an RTA that has minimal leakage and flooding if built properly and used in an optimal way.

My old I-atty used to constantly leak and flood even when I was really confidant in my build and was careful manipulating it. Ended up just using punched cartomizers which also had issues, but less.

I looked at that the coppervape Hussar and I am very interested in it. Looks like a good performer and is cheap. The fact I can get 2 decks for it and switch between single and dual is nice.

I have been suggested the OBS engine quite a few times now. Looked into it quick yesterday but stopped after seeing a negative review on youtube. I will check more out and look into this tank further. It seems promising seeing all the praise it gets on these forums. This might actually be the one I pick up.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming if you have more :)

Anyone ever buy from fasttech? I see allot of places linking there and the prices are pretty cheap. Wondering if I will try my luck and buy a bunch of my future set up from there.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Anyone ever buy from fasttech? I see allot of places linking there and the prices are pretty cheap. Wondering if I will try my luck and buy a bunch of my future set up from there.
I use FT when I can wait for it. Takes about 15-17 days to get to me. No idea what your ship time would be. I've owned Engines since they were released and never had a leak. Only time I get gurgling is user error and easily corrected. Many youtuber's still use their Engines for out and about. Full disclosure...I am an Engine Nano junkie and own/use several daily. lol

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Similar to your praise of the Engine?
Sure. I'm not the allknowing god of vaping and a contrary opinion is always a good thing. But in contrast to your suggestions, the Engine is highly praised by a whole bunch more people and not only by me. ;)

@Krang
About a year ago I started to buy most of my RTAs, drip tips, wires, coils and so on from FT. Never had any issues and deliverytime is about 2 weeks, if I select ePacket shipping. At least to Germany.
But I still buy mods and juice at my local vape shop, so I can't comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread