whats better, a two piece or a three piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2009 i got my first ecig. It was a three piece and was made by a company called AirE8. It was wholly unsatisfying because the atomizer seemed to only just barely reach the foil in a cartrige, sometimes not even enough to puncture it. I got little to no vapor out of it, and the guy who sold it to me said that it was supposed to be that way so the atomizer doesnt get damaged and I dont.OD on nicotine. Well, it never satisfied me, and I got sick of it pretty fast and went back to analogs.

Now, recently, I found blu ecigs at my local gas station. The name rang a bell, because I saw their advertisements and they looked really good so i decided to give them a try. When I opened the package, I noticed something odd; there was no atomizer piece. I looked at the Box of cartriges that came with it and saw the Word cartomizer. I quickly deduced what that was, and figured it was to solve the problem of the atomizer not reaching the foil (because aire8 gave me the impression that all ecigs Did that). it works very well for me, I get alot of vapor, and I even developed a strong distaste for analogs because I like the blu flavors so much,.but I had to get it replaced at the gas station twice because the batteries were defective, and even now that I finally have a good kit, When I buy cartomizers, I seem to always have to throw at least one full and unused one away from every pack because it's leaking. I Did some research and found that blu has a reputation for defective products.

I Also found that a lot of brands still have three piece models. I would like to get a better ecig. The two piece is my comfort zone, because of what happened with AirE8, and I like the idea of not having to be careful of the atomizer. (The aire8 guy Said you couldnt even touch it or it could break, but he Said alot of things, so i dont know what to believe.) I also like to be able to just throw a cartomizer on and go, no dripping or juice making necessary, but i know Im going to get curious one day and try to make my own juice. but I think I may need a three piece model for that. Is this true?

A few more questions i have is how far would a good atomizer puncture through the foil, and how durable or fragile is it really? Does it produce as much vapor as my two piece blu does? Is it alot of work to maintain an atomizer? How Long does a good atomizer last? And last but not least, which design is all around better, the two piece or the three piece?

OR, is there a good model that would let me do both two and three piece interchangably?

Sorry if I could have just googled this all, but i dont want to run the risk of being blundered by an ecig gypsy again.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Most of the atty and cart systems are defunct these days. The few good products that still work that way have moved on to a clear tank system instead, but even those are pretty rare. If you want to try them out, look up the eGo-T, the 510-T or the 901-T. I only have experience with the 901-T and I love it, but I've heard of leaking problems with the 510 and eGo systems.

Cartomizers have become the standard, and even those are becoming pretty defunct. The big rage these days are clearomizers, which is the same concept but without the filler and carto-tanks, which is a tank with a cartomizer inside of it. Also rebuildable attys, but those are complex.

most people don't use the stick batteries anymore. the eGo is the most popular of the normal batteries. It's about the size of a cigar and will last anywhere from half a day to about a full day or more depending on battery size and usage.

Your best bet is to grab some unbranded products. Check out MadVapes for some good starter kits, or Smokeless Image if you want something easy. I have a Smokeless Image battery and I love it, and their customer service is outstanding.

Good luck!

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
And to actually answer the question, what is better is all a matter of taste. I'm pretty new to vaping, but my favorite system is a 3-piece of battery, atty and tank. Everyone has their own favorite system, and each is correct because it's what works for them.

Do some reading, check out the forum suppliers and try to have some fun with it. ;)

Good luck!

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Wow, I thought the three piece was dead. I tried one a couple years back and it was about as good as your experience. I don't know if there are better ones out there, but it seemed like a bad design to me. I don't think most people here use cigalikes, but if you do, I think the two piece design is better. I think the setup most commonly recommended around here for newer users is something like an ego twist (variable voltage battery) and a vivi nova. You could throw pre-filled cartos on there, but you have much better options buying your juice separately. Do you want your device to be cigarette sized, or do you prefer something with better performance and longer battery life?

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Wow, I thought the three piece was dead. I tried one a couple years back and it was about as good as your experience. I don't know if there are better ones out there, but it seemed like a bad design to me. I don't think most people here use cigalikes, but if you do, I think the two piece design is better. I think the setup most commonly recommended around here for newer users is something like an ego twist (variable voltage battery) and a vivi nova. You could throw pre-filled cartos on there, but you have much better options buying your juice separately. Do you want your device to be cigarette sized, or do you prefer something with better performance and longer battery life?

The tank systems are pretty different from the carts used years ago. Think of it more like a 2-piece CE3. Minimal leaking only if you abuse, no filler and easy to fill.

It's not for everybody, but I prefer it. Gives me a nice cool vape. I'm even thinking of grabbing an 801 system to see if it gives me an even cooler vape.

:D

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Wow all this new ecig technology makes me feel like a relic from a past age haha. Theres alot more options than there was back then, and that madvapes site is really cool. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Its like a whole new World to explore. This is gonna be fun! :)

Good luck!

Kazou

Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Duvall, WA, USA
I never used cartomizers but used a number of setups since I started just over a month ago on eGo batteries.

(2 pieces)
CE4XL Tankomizer from Totally Wicked
CE5 from MFS

(3 pieces)
eGo-C Type B Tank systems
eCab Tank systems

The Joyetech C Tank system is a 3 piece design that is different from the earlier eGo-T system. The atty is feed through a pin that pierce the tank. So far, I have not experience any leaks or dry burns from the eGo tanks and it is so reliable and solid for both my setup and my wife (eCab).
The CE4 were the most problematic to me with cracking tanks at the top, and easy to loose the mouthpiece
The CE5 (like Smoketech long wick) are so far holding well and are easy to disassemble to clean.

YMMV

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I never used cartomizers but used a number of setups since I started just over a month ago on eGo batteries.

(2 pieces)
CE4XL Tankomizer from Totally Wicked
CE5 from MFS

(3 pieces)
eGo-C Type B Tank systems
eCab Tank systems

The Joyetech C Tank system is a 3 piece design that is different from the earlier eGo-T system. The atty is feed through a pin that pierce the tank. So far, I have not experience any leaks or dry burns from the eGo tanks and it is so reliable and solid for both my setup and my wife (eCab).
The CE4 were the most problematic to me with cracking tanks at the top, and easy to loose the mouthpiece
The CE5 (like Smoketech long wick) are so far holding well and are easy to disassemble to clean.

YMMV
the OP is referring to the original Ecig design, now we just screw on a cartomizer, before you had to screw the empty cartomizer tube on the battery then open a little foil pack with the actual filling inside and insert this into the cart tube. not the same 3 piece design your thinking of. very messy and inconsistant

Welcome to ECF OP! my how things have changed for the better, read, learn and ask questions!

skip the old 3 piece design as it is outdated and being left behind and supplies will continue to grow scarce for it there are many systems now that will blow that away for taste and vapor.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I forgot to add if your interested in the ecig like stick batteries, the 510 and Kr808 is the ones popular now, then you can buy empty cartomizer tubes, cheaper then refills and refill them more than once yourself using any liquid you prefer.
the only problem is the battery life is somewhat lacking.
a slightly larger battery like an ego style will give you more charge life and open you up to a wider assortment of accessories without having to upgrade the battery down the road. the days of 1 or 2 addones is over there are 100's of different things we can now screw on to our batterys, carts, tanks even rebuildable systems.

Dac311

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
Just for the record, stick style e cigs with a cartomizer are still the number 1 type of e cig sold. Nothing wrong with them, either. Check out smokeless image if you want a good stick style e cig. They also have a larger ego style e cig and many options for the atomizer/liquid storage combo for both the big style e cigs and the stick style e cigs. Also, leakage isn't a cause for throwing out a cartomizer. That just means it is slightly overfilled. Get a paper towel and gently blow out the excess juice and you'll be fine.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Looks like its not for me,too much gadetry and the button keeps shutting off

Joyetech eVic Variable Voltage....check out this beauty,im using the Ego C now,been 2 weeks and happy,y next one will be this baby.

Joyetech eVic Variable Voltage

Joyetech eVic-Kit-500x500.jpg 1 evic-features.jpg

JoyeTech eVic eCig (Steely Dan) Unboxing Demo Review (ENGLISH)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VDHxooV0w

Last edited:

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Joyetech eVic Variable Voltage....check out this beauty,im using the Ego C now,been 2 weeks and happy,y next one will be this baby.

Joyetech eVic Variable Voltage

View attachment 162983 View attachment 162986

If you haven't already, you may want to check out reviews of this before purchase. Pbusardo did a video review (it's on YouTube) a few days ago.

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
A Zmax with oled screen can be found for under $100... It is variable voltage, but the investment is well worth it..then go to gotvapes and get you some ce3's.
They work great and with a zmax you can run anything you like on it...you will also need some battery's for it..I use 18350's aw imr red ones, then you will need a charger.. Don't forget you will need 2 pairs of batts, so one set is charging while you are using a set..

Now the zmax is about 6in. Tall if you want something shorter you can also get a provari mini.more expensive but made in USA and user friendly. It's maybe 3.5 in. Tall...

Here is the deal.. If you don't need something that looks like a cig, and you want to be pretty much obsolete proof for a few years re read the above that I posted...

If you plan on vaping for awhile,then you will probably end up upgrading to a vv unit, so just save yourself some money and just get it now instead of stair stepping your way up to it and spending more money than you really have too...

( my opinion only ymmv)

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
A Zmax with oled screen can be found for under $100... It is variable voltage, but the investment is well worth it..then go to gotvapes and get you some ce3's.
They work great and with a zmax you can run anything you like on it...you will also need some battery's for it..I use 18350's aw imr red ones, then you will need a charger.. Don't forget you will need 2 pairs of batts, so one set is charging while you are using a set..

Now the zmax is about 6in. Tall if you want something shorter you can also get a provari mini.more expensive but made in USA and user friendly. It's maybe 3.5 in. Tall...

Here is the deal.. If you don't need something that looks like a cig, and you want to be pretty much obsolete proof for a few years re read the above that I posted...

If you plan on vaping for awhile,then you will probably end up upgrading to a vv unit, so just save yourself some money and just get it now instead of stair stepping your way up to it and spending more money than you really have too...

( my opinion only ymmv)

From what I've seen, as far as vw, the sigelei zmax, smoktech zmax, and vamo all have about the same performance. The sigelei looks the best (IMO) and has the better screen, but the vamo is cheaper and easier to use, with more intuitive controls.

pmac415

Nov 29, 2012
North Carolina
I started with an eGo - C and then bought a Twist. I'm having a hard time keeping the clearomizers going. Seems like I have to buy one every 3-4 days. They just don't last. I even used the set (atomizer, cone, tankette) that came with the ego C and it depletes the twist battery in minutes. Is it my battery? Is it the clearomizer? How can I tell? i just went to a store and bought cartomizers and even those are not lasting, way too much burn for me and then it leaks. Does anyone else have such a hard time as me? Or is it just me. I'm getting seriously disgusted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread