What's goin awwwn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

im so zen

Dec 29, 2014
West PA
Hey guys,

My name's Adam, or Im So Zen, and I've been vaping for a little over two years. I quit chewing when I first started vaping, and smoking a little over a year ago.

My Typical Setup:
Sigelei Zmax V5 VV/VW
iClear 30s or 30b
TopVapor or Space Jam Juice

I also have a SID and a SmokTech Magneto, and countless eGos. I currently have a Cigreen X V2 (Mutation X clone) on its way, and that is the main reason I'm joining the forum after two years of vaping. I'm trying to get into rebuilding, and I've realized that there's just way too much information to memorize when you're new. I've built one successful coil so far, but mostly just fail.

Practice will eventually make perfect, right?

Another hobby of mine is flipping Balisongs (or butterfly knives), and I love to introduce people to both flipping and vaping.
So, I encourage you to check out some flipping on YouTube.

Finally, a question for anyone with RDA experience reading this:
Since my main device is a regulated APV, I can't build under 1 ohm right? What would be the gauge of kanthal I should use for these builds? I have some 24 gauge kanthal coming with my new RDA, but from the research I've done, it seems like it will take a lot of wraps to achieve coils over 1 ohm.

Thanks, and I'm excited to be a part of this community.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum Adam. Glad to have you here!:)

Each regulated mod has a different specification with regards to how low an ohm coil it will fire. If your PV uses loose batteries you also need to make sure you are using appropriate batteries with regards to their amp rating. I recommend you start with 28 gauge Kanthal and build a simple single coil and learn all the ins & outs before attempting dual or more exotic coil configurations.

If you are new to mech mods and rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

DaniB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
New York
Welcome Adam! Definitely take Susan's advice. If you are going to get into rebuildables you really need to know what you are doing. It is not all that hard - if I can do it, anyone can. Just read, read and then read some more. And don't take shortcuts - start off easy (one coil), use an ohm reader and be safe.

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 9.36.08 AM.jpg

im so zen

Dec 29, 2014
West PA
Thanks a ton guys. I've done some heavy research on safety but those links definitely seem helpful. I've been attempting some builds on my Trident Clone for a while, but I can't stand the way the posts work with the screw on caps. My new RDA is waiting at my house now and I can't wait to get home and get building. I got a VTC4 30A battery and some 24g kanthal I'll be building with tonight, but when I buy kanthal in bulk, I'll probably go with 26 or 28.

im so zen

Dec 29, 2014
West PA
The zmax and cid both have around a 1.2 min resistance and at 15 watts or lower you definatly cant use anything thicker tham 28g wire.

Hmmm, thanks for the info, but now I'm trying to figure out why I couldn't use thicker wire. Would it just heat up too slowly? Or just not pull enough amps? I used the Ohm's law calculator, and that's what it seemed like. With resistance at 1.2 and wattage at 15, it gives me 4.3 volts and 3.54 amps.

I'm still just figuring out what works and what doesn't.

im so zen

Dec 29, 2014
West PA
Thanks again for all the help guys! I wasted about 5 ft of Kanthal last night playing with building coils. It's crazy how building coils is frustrating (at least at first) and insanely fun at the same time. Finally settled on a single-coil 24ga wrap ended up around .54 ohms. This was of course after failing multiple single and dual coils. I set it up on my Smok Magneto, and ooooh boy does she chuck. I'm excited to keep working on better builds.

Are there any builds you guys think I should try as a beginner? And specifically, any good builds for a Zmax APV with a 1.2 ohm minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread