whats good for one is good for another

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDM

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
After reading this article a very important sentence jumps out at me from the material. According to the news article....

A bill passed last week by Congress and soon to be signed by President Obama bans cherry, clove and chocolate-flavored cigarettes, but does not include menthol.

The bill requires the FDA to study ways menthol cigarettes are marketed and their impact on various minorities.

So by this way of thinking we need MORE minorities smoking e-cigarettes. If we can get the minorities on our side. Then when the minorities start screaming foul, then there huge organizations will get on our side. IMHO this will solve all our problems.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
The whole menthol angle of this bill is the most egregious element IMO. Altria sells more menthol than any other cigarette manufacturer, and they sell most of them to minorities. The bill protects menthol specifically while banning other flavors that might appeal to different groups. The "it's for children" argument is hogwash, as we've firmly established. I guess Altria has no problem with killing black people but wants RJR to stop killing whites.

I agree that it could be very valuable to focus some effort on getting minority citizens to switch to PVs over menthol, especially given that the menthol fluid tastes a LOT more like actual menthol cigarettes than the so-called tobacco flavors taste like actual tobacco cigarettes.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
This is smoke in mirrors..............they're only banning flavors that no one buys(period). To let the uneducated non=smoking public think they are taking a big stand. Anyone who smokes knows that no one smokes chocolate and cherry cigarettes.

It's all a farce blowing smoke up your ........

Flavored cigarettes are being banned because RJR was pumping HUGE dollars into their new flavored product line. Altria didn't want to compete with that, especially since Altria is the main retailer of menthol flavor (thus the language that protects their most popular flavored product in the bill.) The flavor angle is all about anti-competitive action by Altria and nothing more.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Flavored cigarettes are being banned because RJR was pumping HUGE dollars into their new flavored product line. Altria didn't want to compete with that, especially since Altria is the main retailer of menthol flavor (thus the language that protects their most popular flavored product in the bill.) The flavor angle is all about anti-competitive action by Altria and nothing more.
I agree with that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread