What's the best battery/best place to get them for a VV box mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I just got the Vari-Cool VV box mod from SmokeTek - It says to use 14500 900mAh batteries. I am using the Trustfire, and they are working fine. I tried to use some that were 650mAh, which worked fine for a 5 volt I had, but they didn't work.

What's a good place to buy batteries, and which are the best ones to use for this mod?
Thanks!
Sandy

HolaAmigos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
I had a VV Vari Cool, I purchased if from the same site - SmokTek and I did use some AW IMR batteries and they did not work not at all, it would trip up the VV Vari Cool a lot, so I had to stop using them.
I also used Ultrafires, the ones with the gray labels, I noticed the only ones that worked well...were the ones that Rob recommended.

Good Luck.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
You dont have to use the IMR, you will also find you get longer run times with the black AW IC over the IMR, I run these a lot = http://www.lighthound.com/AW-14500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_96.html You will also find that most stated mAh is an over stated mAh on many of the other Brands where the AW brand is pretty spot on with there mAh ratings, there is no reason why you "HAVE TO RUN 900 mAh " it is most likely over stated anyways on a 14500 Batt @ 900 try the black AW IC 14500 Batts there pretty darn good.

Last edited:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
AW's are good and I have some but for most mods I don't think they're worth 2x what a 'flame' TrustFire costs. The AW 750mah Black & Chrome batts will work fine in ur mod. The 900mah Trustfires are really closer to 700~725mah when tested. The UltraFires are probably closer to 680mah based on the run charts on the flashlight forums. The mah is just how long it'll run and his little other effect on a regulated 2 battery VV or 5v mod.

In a mod that uses 2 batteries the voltage is being regulated DOWN so the current draw isn't enough to require IMR type or unprotected batteries. You're not likely to draw over 2.25A which the protected TrustFire Flames will do as will the Black/Chrome 750mah AW protecteds.

This is not the case in single battery VV mods where a 'booster' circuit is being used.

U can get the AW 750mah batts HERE but for less then half the cost I'd get these HERE

Shop around a bit and u can probably get a better price on the AWs though. You can get the TrustFires real cheap out of China if u order a min of 6 or 10 and can wait 6 weeks and are willing to roll the dice on what u really get.

The TrustFires u linked to are NOT protected batteries. I really think you'd be better off sticking with the protected versions in 'blue' or 'flame' packaging. Make sure it says "protected" or "with PCB".

I keep extra TrustFires Flames around and let 'em out at $7/pair but doesn't look like u r in this neck of the woods ;-)

Skip

PS: My 'flames' and 'Blck/Chromes' all measure ~51mm. Fit all my box mods.

Last edited:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
Last edited:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011