What's the point of high wattage box mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really new to all this and just want to get a grasp on things. What is the point of insanely high watt box mods? I heard that the higher wattage the better? But then I just saw on here that it just is a miserable vaping experience to vape at abnormally high watts. I'm lost here and I just need some advice before I purchase the components to build a VV box.

How many watts is too much? How many is too little? I'm pulling my hair out here. :facepalm:

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Im building the raptor box so i can run low ohm builds at 6v, instead of running super sub ohm builds at 3.7v, i doubt ill ever run a .3ohm build on it at 6v for 120w except to give it a try lol.
I normally build my coils for my mech to run in between 25-50w.

sig-153231.jpg

TomGeorge

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Buffalo/Rochester
Some people like dark roast coffee, black, while some like decaf lates. Its all preference. Some people on here will say that they are pointless, all you need is a provari, or an ego, or you can use a mech and get the same results with something that looks better too!! There are alot of strong opinions on here, some with valid points others with caka-mainy reasons. You will prob get both in this thread.

To answer your question, because we can. I am going to get one of the new 100+ watt devices because the ones out now are only single 18650 and the new ones are dual. I already get almost a day out of the single but...more is better :2cool:

I was looking into building a raptor box, which is why I asked. Do you have a layout that you would be willing to share?
Im building the raptor box so i can run low ohm builds at 6v, instead of running super sub ohm builds at 3.7v, i doubt ill ever run a .3ohm build on it at 6v for 120w except to give it a try lol.
I normally build my coils for my mech to run in between 25-50w.

sig-153231.jpg

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It didn't help my manlihood at all when I bought one, at least that's what my wife told me.

The real answer, better more intense flavor. I drip and the flavor was good on a mech but the same flavors at 20 watts on my box are steller. I don't sub-ohm or cloud chase I right now I am digging my IPV. It was a game change for dripping and flavor.

I had a hunch is was a preference thing, I'm trying to figure out how to build one myself but I have far too many ideas to put on paper and no where near enough knowledge to get it all right.... But I plan on building a 100+ Watt one too, because I also like the dual batteries. Hm.
Some people like dark roast coffee, black, while some like decaf lates. Its all preference. Some people on here will say that they are pointless, all you need is a provari, or an ego, or you can use a mech and get the same results with something that looks better too!! There are alot of strong opinions on here, some with valid points others with caka-mainy reasons. You will prob get both in this thread.

To answer your question, because we can. I am going to get one of the new 100+ watt devices because the ones out now are only single 18650 and the new ones are dual. I already get almost a day out of the single but...more is better :2cool:

cocuZZa00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
New Jersey
It didn't help my manlihood at all when I bought one, at least that's what my wife told me.

The real answer, better more intense flavor. I drip and the flavor was good on a mech but the same flavors at 20 watts on my box are steller. I don't sub-ohm or cloud chase I right now I am digging my IPV. It was a game change for dripping and flavor.

Hahaha... That's actually really funny!

My intention was not to offend anyone so I apologize if I did.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have never understood. I bought an SX-350 box so that I could go below 7.0 Watts. I am at 6.5 Watts and 2.3 Ohm right now. Personal preference, I suppose. Whenever I tried high wattage, I thought it was too hot and tasted bad. My wife doesn't care for steak cooked as I like it - I just put her's on before mine and each of us is pleased.

Really new to all this and just want to get a grasp on things. What is the point of insanely high watt box mods? I heard that the higher wattage the better? But then I just saw on here that it just is a miserable vaping experience to vape at abnormally high watts. I'm lost here and I just need some advice before I purchase the components to build a VV box.

How many watts is too much? How many is too little? I'm pulling my hair out here. :facepalm:

xcrazydx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
United States
I have never understood. I bought an SX-350 box so that I could go below 7.0 Watts. I am at 6.5 Watts and 2.3 Ohm right now. Personal preference, I suppose. Whenever I tried high wattage, I thought it was too hot and tasted bad. My wife doesn't care for steak cooked as I like it - I just put her's on before mine and each of us is pleased.

You didn't have enough air flow

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was looking into building a raptor box, which is why I asked. Do you have a layout that you would be willing to share?

Im going to be using this from mamu.
ne7umuma.jpg

I have everything i need except a master switch, on-off-on switch, batter holder, enclosure, and 1s-6s screen... But hopefully will be ordering those tomorrow!
sig-153231.jpg

This is exactly what I was looking into! Please let me know how yours turns out - I would love to see!
Im going to be using this from mamu.
ne7umuma.jpg

I have everything i need except a master switch, on-off-on switch, batter holder, enclosure, and 1s-6s screen... But hopefully will be ordering those tomorrow!
sig-153231.jpg

hanzo.esq

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
TX
Generally clearomizers and carto tanks have higher resistance coils (1.8-3 ohms) made of thin wire and little wicks. Rebuildables like a kayfun or dripper might have lower resistance coils (.5-1.5 ohms) made from thicker wires and much bigger wicks.

Little wires need less energy to heat up quickly. Thin wicks can't feed juice to the atomizer fast enough to keep up with higher power. Higher power on smaller coils and wicks gives a burnt taste.

Bigger wires need more energy to heat up quickly. Thicker wicks can feed juice to the atomizer fast enough to keep up with the higher power. Higher power on larger rebuildables gives more vapor and denser flavor.

So, 9 watts will probably taste burnt in a pro-tank, but 9 watts in a kayfun will probably be weak.

Keep in mind that higher power will use the battery faster.

Putting this all together, I usually run my rebuildable kayfun at 2.4 ohms and 6 watts. The thinner wire used to get that higher resistance coil heats up sufficiently fast at 6 watts. However, I used a thick wick to feed the atomizer quickly. I get a great vape off this setup without hammering my battery (2 days on an 18650 in my Vamo).

The advise you need is predicated on what type of topper you plan to use. If it's a premade coil for a clearomizer/carto, then 15 watts will be more than enough. If you intend to build your own with thicker wire and wick, then 30-50 watts is probably a good max (until you decide otherwise).

As a datapoint, when I use my dripper, I'm generally using a coil around .8 ohms and 15-20 watts of power, so 30 watts would be good for me.

Hanzo.

I build coils, not mods so I can't help with the box build, but as a dripper, I like to vape around .5 ohms single coil @ 22 watts. Seems to be the sweet spot for my custard juice and my Veritas an Plume Veil atties on my Vaporshark rDNA 30. I don't enjoy really warm vapes so I try to balance power output and vape temp.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Nice answers here... I have sub ohm'ed for at least a couple years and have settled down into my favorite RTA's (single coil anywhere from .7 to 1 ohms and about 15 to 30w).
For occasional dual coil RDA's I'll go below .5 ohms but its not my cup of tea.
I am so spoiled on these regulated higher watt boxes, and had exhausted my patience with mech tubes. Very Happy vaper here. :)
Although I hardly ever go over 35w I'm delighted with my Raptor boxes for reliable performance (same power each time), AND double 18650 batt times.
I have a Ranger OKRT10 box coming and which should be excellent for my range, and Ranger seems to be the cream of the 50w boxes out there imo.
I have both a DNA30 box and a 30w DovPo EMech which I like better because it has 2x18650's.
The DNA30 w/ single 18650 batt won't last much for a chain vaper even at 15 to 20w before it needs recharging.

I use about 5 different flavors a day and want a box for every flavor/atomizer combination pretty much, so anything that will go over 30w, have 2x 18650, well designed catches my interest today.
There's design factors to consider and choose from and this opens up a range for innovations to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread