What's up with calling an ecig an "analog"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyndcookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dallas, TX
Because if anything, ecigs (especially fake cigarette-looking ecigs) would be the analog, since tobacco cigs came first. It's just common for the new item to be referred to as the analog of the first (original) item. Just sayin...

[h=3]a·nal·o·gous[/h]/əˈnaləgəs/
Adjective

1. Comparable in certain respects, typically in a way that makes clearer the nature of the things compared.
  2. (of structures) Performing a similar function but having a different evolutionary origin, such as the wings of insects and birds.

Synonyms
similar - like - parallel - alike - analogical

I guess maybe the way we use it comes from the idea that ecigs are supposed to be new and "digital" and tobacco cigs are old technology i.e. "analog"?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Analog clock - a clock or watch that represents time by position on a dial
Analog photography - photography in which the image is recorded as an analog (as on film)
etc.

Analog is old fashioned. It's the version before the new, advanced, digital or electronic version was released.
I think it has more to do with the technology advances that have defined this era. Digital = New & Improved vs. Analog = Old & Cruddy.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Well a lot of us try to avoid using the term electronic cigarette or "e-cig" as it suggests they have something in common with a traditional cigarette. As far as the Analog I think it comes from cigarettes being manual since you have to light them and stuff vs a PV that is done with electronics. We could just call them death sticks, cancer sticks, etc I guess.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
It really doesn't matter to me whether or not they're called analogs or ecig or PV/ personal vaporizer. When first approached about vaping I call it an ecig. After explaining exactly how it works I call it a PV. When the person inquiring about vaping departs they know it as a "PV". Just easier to get the message across initially as almost everyone knows what an ecig is. Most important to me is getting the word out and making the public understand there is a safer viable alternative to smoking.

SneakyVapper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
FPO AP
Haha, that reminds me. I'm in the Navy, and when our new camos came out, we started calling them digis, because of the 8-bit digital print. After that, sailors started calling the old uniforms (utilities and dungarees) "analogs".

Mostly the definition of analog has nothing to do with it. It's just that analog is mechanical whereas digital is more advanced electronic. So using "analog" to define a cig is more like saying it's not advanced electronic than saying it's analog. Hope I didn't confuse.:blink: It's really just a funny joke than a literal term.

Last edited:

dandellion

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Belgrade
www.acidzen.org
Yeah, it doesn't make sense at all.

Digital and analog terms refer only to ways of measuring and calculating. And it those situations analog systems compare the measured with something. E.G. length of the table with a meter stick, passing of time with angle that clock hand travels, volume of liquid with glass that contains it....

Digital measuring is a bit harder to picture as it consists of turning the measured property into numbers that can be accessed and manipulated later without relation to the original measured thing.

Needless to say, analog systems are much older hence the association that old technologies are always analog and everything new is digital. Also, as digital systems need electricity, we tend to call digital everything that contains battery.

Kyndcookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dallas, TX
Yeah, it doesn't make sense at all.

Digital and analog terms refer only to ways of measuring and calculating. And it those situations analog systems compare the measured with something. E.G. length of the table with a meter stick, passing of time with angle that clock hand travels, volume of liquid with glass that contains it....

Digital measuring is a bit harder to picture as it consists of turning the measured property into numbers that can be accessed and manipulated later without relation to the original measured thing.

Needless to say, analog systems are much older hence the association that old technologies are always analog and everything new is digital. Also, as digital systems need electricity, we tend to call digital everything that contains battery.

Oh, the semantics could just go on and on...

Believe me, I do not take this subject too seriously. I'm just having fun here.

That said, there's nothing digital in (I think) any e-cig. The electronic control is straight up analog.

Put that in your tank and smoke it! :D

dandellion

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Belgrade
www.acidzen.org
That said, there's nothing digital in (I think) any e-cig. The electronic control is straight up analog.

Oh, you haven't seen this one then :)

JoyeTech%20eVic2.jpg

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Yup stupid term... Almost as bad as eCigarette

But worlds better than "stinkies"

I think I'd actually support a temporary ban for any user that calls them that.... It's just childish and demeaning, in the same way that ex-smokers always were... That patronizing holier than thou attitude.

I refuse to be that kind of ex-smoker... Makes me sick.

Sent from the ether using the power of my mind... and the Tapatalk app.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Yup stupid term... Almost as bad as eCigarette

But worlds better than "stinkies"

I think I'd actually support a temporary ban for any user that calls them that.... It's just childish and demeaning, in the same way that ex-smokers always were... That patronizing holier than thou attitude.

I refuse to be that kind of ex-smoker... Makes me sick.

Sent from the ether using the power of my mind... and the Tapatalk app.

Why shouldnt it be demeaning? Were trying to replace negative behaviors with good ones.A little reverse psychology never hurts especially when it serves to break previously positive associations.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Wait until you really get into it. EGO,eVic, Provari, Zmax and a slew of others are all digital units using micro circuitry.

The real question is.................. Does it really matter as long as were not smoking?:D

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Why shouldnt it be demeaning? Were trying to replace negative behaviors with good ones.A little reverse psychology never hurts especially when it serves to break previously positive associations.

You catch more flies with Honey than with Vinegar.

I literally hated the smug attitude of ex-smokers... they made me want to smoke more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread