What's you opinion on this starter Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertLxander

Feb 15, 2016
Hey! I hope you don't get too many threads like these, I'm aware this could be annoying.

Anyway after a week of cold turkey on cigarettes I purchased a 'cheap' vape pen from a small local smoke shop. It works well enough, and I'm happy to say that I don't think I'll ever smoke again, which is something I never though I'd be able to say. The only problem is it only takes disposable cartomisers($15 each) and it is kinda bulky.

I'm new and would just like a quick opinion on a starter kit I'm looking at.
I'm looking at this one
The Vaping Kiwi Starter Kit

The positives I can see on this are;
There are two batteries and two tanks
Replacement coils
Charger/Case etc
The 'free' sample bottles are about $10 each over the counter here​
So from my perspective, it's good value in comparison to the one I have, they are smaller and will be cheaper to run in the long term as I'll only need to replace coils with any regularity.

Is it a good place to start? Are there any drawbacks to a kit like this? They also have a more expensive 'starter kit' but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost. I eventually want to get off nicotine entirely, so I'm hoping that this kit could be the last bit of hardware I have to buy.

I'd appreciate your thoughts! Thank-you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: mauricem00

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @RobertLxander. Glad to have you here!:)

I often recommend an iStick 30 watt with an Aspire Mini Nautilus to members looking to begin vaping. Videos below.
Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

========

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Na still not working!
    This-?

They are eGos, or vape pens. Fine to start with or backups when you get something better. Get a nic level of 12-18mg when you order the eliquid. Maybe an xtra charger. Don't overtighten when you connect things together.

Reactions: EBates

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Nice kit. I'm not at all familiar the VOCC coils tho. I prefer the old style Evod coils. They're just so easy to rebuild and modify if you want a bit better vape in the future.

Kinda overpriced tho even if they are authentic Kanger. Have you ever heard of Fasttech? They are a Chinese vendor and ship free worldwide. I'd recommend you check their site and just enter 'Evod starter kit' in the search box. They do accept PayPal and I wouldn't recommend ever using a credit card dealing with any Chinese company.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    Hey! I hope you don't get too many threads like these, I'm aware this could be annoying.

Anyway after a week of cold turkey on cigarettes I purchased a 'cheap' vape pen from a small local smoke shop. It works well enough, and I'm happy to say that I don't think I'll ever smoke again, which is something I never though I'd be able to say. The only problem is it only takes disposable cartomisers($15 each) and it is kinda bulky.

I'm looking at this one

Replacement coils
    Charger/Case etc
    So from my perspective, it's good value in comparison to the one I have, they are smaller and will be cheaper to run in the long term as I'll only need to replace coils with any regularity.

Is it a good place to start? Are there any drawbacks to a kit like this? They also have a more expensive 'starter kit' but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost. I eventually want to get off nicotine entirely, so I'm hoping that this kit could be the last bit of hardware I have to buy.

not a bad starter kit. I started with a similar tank and battery over a year ago and have since moved to a more powerful rig but still use that kit for stealth vaping or when im out on my bicycle.for some thats all they ever need for others this becomes a hobby but that kit should keep you off tobacco. welcome to ECF and I hope you enjoy your stay here

Maiar

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    That's essentially the kit that got me off cigarettes. Only mine was the single coil Evod-1's and these are Evod 2's. I could never find the glass version of them like this one. So that's a solid starter kit. Those VOCC coils are super nice as well. Oh and my advice is upgrade to the 1000mah battery. The 650's don't last very long with those coils. You may want to invest in a spinner battery that has variable voltage. The vocc coils (I used the 1.8ohms) can go higher than the 3.7V those batteries put out.

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
    I would go with the Sigelei "Spark" mod , small and you can definitely grow with this one , also comes with temp control if you want to get into that later on .

I wouldn't touch anything made by Eleaf , they refuse to warrant their products and their products are not in the same league quality wise as some others.

Includes top quality 18650 battery as well .

Sigelei Spark 90W TC Mod (1 FREE 18650 Battery)

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2014
    usa
    I have a kanger subvod toptank nano kit, and an eleaf ijust 2 kit. Each one cost me $30. I think they are both leaps and bounds above a standard beginners' kit, they are sub-ohm. And have a lot of safety features, with pretty foolproof operation. Not a lot of features, which means they are not complicated to use, but they are both way better than any "vape pen" style device I owned. The batteries will also last way longer than those kits you are looking at, especially the ijust 2. They both have the "tube" shape, and the subvod kit comes in several different colors. I have the white one and it looks real sharp.

The subvod I have:
    http://www.3fvape.com/57989-thickbo...clearomizer-starter-kit-white-19ml-05-ohm.jpg

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014

I'm looking at this one

Replacement coils
    Charger/Case etc

My reaction is, pricey. My first device like that cost $20 and I replaced it in a few days. I just started a buddy vaping on the Eleaf Basic kit which is available on Fasttech for $25 and has more than twice the battery capacity. I got him that because it's fine for a beginner and small and comes from one of the more reputable companies in the business. We ended up buying the Basic kit in a retail shop for a higher price but way less than 70 something.

RobertLxander

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of replies I've gotten, so thank-you all.

I appreciate the advice in terms of better options etc and if I decide in 6 month that I want to keep vaping I'll splash out on something nice. At this stage, vaping isn't big here, and I'm basically doing it to get off smoking

There's a few obstacles to me doing this long-term, It's illegal for stores to sell e-juices which contain nicotine in New Zealand, so I either have to pay marked up prices at dodgy corner shops, or import small amounts from the US with high transport costs. For those reasons I'm unlikely to do it long term.

Since the replies have generally been positive(or at worst neutral/ambivalent) I've decided to go ahead and order it.

Oh and BTW, The price is quoted in New Zealand Dollars, so it's about US$50 for the lot. Since it's about US$8 for a 10ml bottle of 12 e-juice, and I'm getting 3 in the kit, along with two devices, so it works out to be a pretty good deal. I really just wanted to be sure that I wasn't buying a lemon, since that's what I have atm.

EBates

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    Sounds like you've got a plan. So allow me to add a few words of 'wisdom'.
    Never charge your batteries Unattended, fire hazard.
    The connector that holds your tank,510 connector, keep it clean. Juice will seep into the battery and cause problems. Q-tip and drop of alcohol will clean it up.
    When you change flavors rinse out the tank and install a new atomizer head. Some flavors may not 'play' well together.
    When you change the atomizer head you must prime it with juice or you will burn the wick (cotton tastes very nasty when burned). A couple of drops of juice on the wick, fill the tank, and 3-4 non-firing puffs should get it primed.
    Good Luck

Last edited:

RobertLxander

Feb 15, 2016
    Sounds like you've got a plan. So allow me to add a few words of 'wisdom'.
    Never charge your batteries Unattended, fire hazard.
    The connector that holds your tank,510 connector, keep it clean. Juice will seep into the battery and cause problems. Q-tip and drop of alcohol will clean it up.
    When you change flavors rinse out the tank and install a new atomizer head. Some flavors may not 'play' well together.
    When you change the atomizer head you must prime it with juice or you will burn the wick (cotton tastes very nasty when burned). A couple of drops of juice on the wick, fill the tank, and 3-4 non-firing puffs should get it primed.
    Good Luck

Thanks for the tips, I'm bound to be back to ask more questions. It's really positive to know this place is helpful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread