When do you change coils/pods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
You dont wait till your dishes are dirty before you wash them, same

I use the diaper method, change it

After a while one can predict when a new wick is needed. I dont wait till it's all gunked and really nasty. There is just a tiny drop in flavor, which tells me this is the right time, so one needs to be sensitive to this. Now my wife cannot make this detection and vapes it till it's like burnt sugar...I usually get 3 meals before I have to wash my dishes

Haha!

Reactions: vapdivrr

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
I use RTAs so I can't see the coil and wick. I change the wick when the flavor starts to get dull. Also use a spreadsheet and write down when I change a wick or coil. I have several tanks going with different flavors. Some I use more often than others and some juices mess up wicks more quickly. I more or less know how long each tank lasts now so I check the spreadsheet and see which ones are coming up for a change. That way I can change the wick before the flavor starts going off.

With 9 tanks going they tend to last a couple of weeks apart from one flavor which clogs up the coil in a few days. Three or four weeks for an unflavored tank.

Wish there was a more scientific way of doing it, but it works.
is there anyway you could upload the spreadsheet it would be interesting to see ;)

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
is there anyway you could upload the spreadsheet it would be interesting to see ;)

Not sure how to do that. I could email you a copy if you want to PM me an addr. Maybe I could screen print it and upload it as a jpg. I'll give it some thought tomorrow.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
I vape unflavored, single spaced coil, 30 AWG SS316 at 0.7-0.8 Ohms. I used RTA and RDA with temp control.

If the Ohms starts reading 0.05 higher than normal, the taste starts getting "off", or wicking declines, then I change the cotton and clean the coil.

Usually re-wick about once a month (approx 60ml/week). I'll build a new coil if it's too cruddy to clean well or deforms/breaks during the re-wick. Typically about two months.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Here's a pic of my spreadsheet. I thought it was a spreadsheet but it's actually a Word table. It might seem like a lot of bother but it helps me keep track of stuff.
SH2.jpg

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Mick, I LIKE it! If you think THAT's a lot of bother, OMG, you should see mine. Information overload, for sure, but I enjoy doing it and tracking.

My table has changed over time. Used to have more columns. I even kept track of when I refilled tanks and changed batteries.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
My table has changed over time. Used to have more columns. I even kept track of when I refilled tanks and changed batteries.

Battery changes, eh? Now THAT I don't do! But I do keep tabs on tank refills. It's the only way I can pastably figure out just how much I vape. I even had a Pivot Table designed to track that part. (It's ALL DPL's fault, just by the way - he turned me into this monster, but now I suffer from analysis paralysis.) :rolleyes:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Battery changes, eh? Now THAT I don't do! But I do keep tabs on tank refills. It's the only way I can pastably figure out just how much I vape. I even had a Pivot Table designed to track that part. (It's ALL DPL's fault, just by the way - he turned me into this monster, but now I suffer from analysis paralysis.) :rolleyes:

Pivot Table? I'm not even going to look that up because I know it would scare me.

For a while I recorded when I filled up a tank. Trouble with that is sometimes the tank is half empty, sometimes it's 1/4 full, sometimes I sit down and fill all my tanks no matter how much they have in them. Since late 17 I've been keeping a record whenever I make juice. Over a long enough period of time that tells me how much I get through. Some months I don't make any, some months I make a bunch. But over a year it gives a useful number.

The main use I get out of the Table is about wick and coil changes.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I do keep tabs on tank refills. It's the only way I can pastably figure out just how much I vape.
I fill the squonk bottles on all my mods with the same stuff: Unflavored. So it's easy to see how long a 30 or 120 lasts me.

I do drip in flavored liquid in from the top as the mood strikes me, but the amounts end up being almost insignificant and not worth tracking. I doubt I go through more that 100 ml of flavored liquid per year.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I rewind a coil and replace the wick about once a week. I'm usually rotating a couple or three attys most days. When the flavor starts to wane, I rebuild. I'm at 90% unflavored and coils last a while.

it would be nice to just unscrew a coil and pop in another. Back when I used eGo attys coils were expensive and only lasted 2 or 3 days vaping. It sounds like modern attys can go a lot longer than I was used to years ago.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I'm similar to you Mick. Extra columns not seen that show current juice and my thoughts on changes. For me it was more for keeping track of coil material and build.
View attachment 815775

Looks like you really need that, with so many different coils. Mine are all the same except for one less wrap on the STM. If you have a bunch of tanks in use you need something. It definitely made my life easier having a record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread