Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Just want to get an idea of when YOU change your coils. Please include how many ml on a given day you vape and the device/build you are using.

Thanks <3

Welcome to ECF, Mden...

After 4~5 dry firings, brushings and (cotton) re-wickings in multi-parallel coiled RDAs, between .25~.45Ω with 22~26 gauge Kanthal A-1, fired by unregulated mech mods at Ohm's law parity....

pause to breath.... :confused:

using dark, sweet, high solids content, quick to gunk up juice (which, for me is a far better point of reference than juice mls)... and the alumina content has degraded to the point I can see the iron/chromium... I re-build.

Reactions: Wing

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Welcome to ECF, Mden...

After 4~5 dry firings, brushings and (cotton) re-wickings in multi-parallel coiled RDAs, between .25~.45Ω with 22~26 gauge Kanthal A-1, fired by unregulated mech mods at Ohm's law parity....

pause to breath.... :confused:

using dark, sweet, high solids content, quick to gunk up juice (which, for me is a far better point of reference than juice mls)... and the alumina content has degraded to the point I can see the iron/chromium... I re-build.

Thanks! I put new cotton in everyday just because its so damn cheap and it makes it taste THAT MUCH BETTER. But i havent had a dry fire yet in my mech mod. (Finely regulated by Ohms law thanks to the knowledge learned here at ECF)

At what point can you tell the Alumina content has degraded? Will it blacken and chip?

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Maybe once a month, at most.
I dry-burn, scrape/brush, rinse, repeat, and re-wick every 3 days.

Kanger Subtank Mini, with modified juice channels.
26 gauge coil. 0.6 ohms, around 17 watts. Vaping 10-12 ml./day, high VG.
Subdrem22.jpg[\IMG]

Last edited:

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Maybe once a month, at most.
I dry-burn, scrape/brush, rinse, repeat, and rewick every 3 days.

Kanger Subtank Mini, with modified juice channels.
26 gauge coil. 0.6 ohms. Vaping 10-12 ml./day.
Subdrem22.jpg[\IMG]

Damn i barely get through 3ml a day! Then again i cant vape while working so i only have a few hours while im home. At that point i cant really over do it either because it makes my pregnant wife nauseous. (Using nicotine free, natural juice and try to keep it well vented). So I dont think ill need to replace my coils for quite some time, but i probably will weekly just because its fun to build

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thanks! I put new cotton in everyday just because its so damn cheap and it makes it taste THAT MUCH BETTER. But i havent had a dry fire yet in my mech mod. (Finely regulated by Ohms law thanks to the knowledge learned here at ECF)

At what point can you tell the Alumina content has degraded? Will it blacken and chip?
Under magnification, the coil surface may begin to "freckle" with dk grey, black or dk brown/red coloration. It's a bit of a variable based on other factors, including method of ash removal and user aggression at that task, but... when it stops being a dull silver to bluish silver, it's time to send it to the "old coils home".

Reactions: Mden89

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I rewick daily and never think much about my coil condition since, like others in here, I just like wrapping coils and do so frequently. I'll agree though that the downside to this is that I'm dealing with brand new coils a lot, and they do seem to improve their taste with a touch of "seasoning".

Reactions: Mden89

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I have a ritual that I do every week. On Sundays I do all my laundry, cut my hair, house work, etc. Thats when I rebuild whatever coil I'm using on my Reos. I have several hundred feet of kanthal, so why not!

During the week I dry burn and rewick my coils every evening when I get home from work or after dinner.

MrDripper

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2015
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
For me, and this is solely for me, it depends on taste and production. I've been known to wick, juice it up, take a few puffs and re-wick if I'm not getting desired results.
If I get a wick I'm happy with, I may not change for a few days. But when I start losing flavor, it's time to re-wick.
Occasionally, I'll make a wick so good that I don't want to change it but the cotton is getting nasty so I change it anyway, albeit begrudgingly.
My coils, I can go at least a month because I, like many, maintain my coils at every re-wicking. (dry burn & brush)
I'm not at the point of wrapping my own coils yet so I buy pre-coiled wires from fasttech. (26g NiChrome but 24g Ni200 should be coming this week)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I rebuild when I get bored usually every month or 2...sometimes I go 2 to 3 months. It really doesn't matter, I've never had a coil fail or go Crappy on me even 3 months in. It just gets to a point where I want to rebuild it and know it's fresh. I rewick every 2 or 3 days. My coils are usually 8 wraps of 26g 2mm id. All on rebuild able bottomfed attys. I vape close to 10 or 12ml a day but I switch between 3 reos so no one build gets hit for more than 6ml a day tops. I usually re wick them all when it's time to rewick one. Just my oddities :)

Reactions: RuDawg7890

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Im pretty lazy about it. Maybe once a month, sometimes longer. I go through like 7-8ml a day probably, current favorite coils are 26 gauge/10 wraps/2mm/1 ohm. I make 'bubblegum' and 'starburst' flavored juices so my coils tend to get gunky but eh it doesnt bother me as long as it heats right and the flavor still comes through. I do rewick though once the piece that sits in the coil gets nasty enough (maybe every 2-3 weeks), and then Ill do a dry burn to clean it. I hate 'breaking in' a fresh wick so Im pretty lazy about that too. Had to take apart my Bonsai a week or so ago to reset the positive pin and insulator, I just pulled out the coil with the wick still in it and put it right back in when I was done putting the atty back together hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread