When to change coil in RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigeercat

May 16, 2019
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked already, have tried googling but only come across when to change coil in a subohm tank.

I rewick my coil in RDA every day or so when it doesn't taste as nice - but when should I change the set of coils?

I've been using rdas for about 4 months and never really cared a lot cause I was using cheap coils to find out what I liked.

I recently got a pair of fraliens, and want to make them live as long as possible but that leaves me with the question when are they dead, when should I change them?

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Comp wire takes a lot to die. I change them when they lose shape or bend. Otherwise if the coil is fine and you find no obvious ohm change (.2 is fine). If the coil shines bright from the inside out, you don't need to worry at all in the change of the coil's coloring or anything.
But if you want to make sure, every now and again drop your base onto some Everclear overnight (or vinegar for that matter taking care of not damaging o rings) to make sure all traces of eliquid are removed.

Tigeercat

May 16, 2019
Comp wire takes a lot to die. I change them when they lose shape or bend. Otherwise if the coil is fine and you find no obvious ohm change (.2 is fine). If the coil shines bright from the inside out, you don't need to worry at all in the change of the coil's coloring or anything.
But if you want to make sure, every now and again drop your base onto some Everclear overnight (or vinegar for that matter taking care of not damaging o rings) to make sure all traces of eliquid are removed.
Cheers bro, they were .12 ohm but after I rewicked once they dropped to .11, no hot spots though so they should still be sweet?

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked already, have tried googling but only come across when to change coil in a subohm tank.

I rewick my coil in RDA every day or so when it doesn't taste as nice - but when should I change the set of coils?

I've been using rdas for about 4 months and never really cared a lot cause I was using cheap coils to find out what I liked.

I recently got a pair of fraliens, and want to make them live as long as possible but that leaves me with the question when are they dead, when should I change them?

I use Plain Old Round Wire Coils (PORWC). And Flavored Wicks with Unflavored e-Liquid. So I can go a LONG Time before I need to change Coil. A Very Long Time.

But to me, there is Nothing better than that New Coil/New Cotton Flavor. So I tend to change to a New Coil after about 50ml's of e-Liquid.

I suppose if I was using a More Complex Coil that I had hand built, or Expensive Pre-Coiled Coils, I would want to Dry Burn then to extend the life of the coil.

But when Year's Worth of coils cost me about 2 Bucks...

$2.00 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

... I just Toss them and plug in a New One.

Tigeercat

May 16, 2019
I rewick daily or 2nd day, I do about 1000 puffs a day and use around 10-15mls eliquid a day. So I give my coils a clean Everytime I rewick.
My last juice was really harsh so thought the coils we're dying but I went to a different juice and wasn't harsh.. so I guess some juices are more harsh than others?

I've only used round wire builds once when I first tried to get into making coils didn't do it for me since I started on Claptons

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Coils get ever so very slightly thinner and more brittle every time they are dry burned. If the wire is very thin they can break in a few months. If the wire is thick they can last a very very long time. I say use em till they break or they’re clearly not anywhere near the resistance they once were.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I change mine when the break, that is RULE NUMERO UNO.

I also change them when they just get, IDK, yuck. They look bad, they vape badly they just get this look of "change me." I don't quite know how to describe it honestly and some of the time it takes depends on thickness of wire, type of wire, and how you clean your coils. For stainless steel I do a lot more toothbrushing than dry burning.

But yeah they just get kind of.... IDK anemic and bad, vapewise. Etc.

Anna

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
My Clapton's (make myself) have to be changed on a daily to two days. I usually run my DIY vanilla custard and they get gunked beyond dry burn. Even using round wire it's the same. As long as I am not using a coil destroying juice I am good to go for about 4 dry burns before residue won't come of could.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I usually change out my coils every 5 to 6 months whether they need it or not.. my son who sub ohms actually needs to change coils every 3 months, and sometimes that's pushing it - every 2 months for him is probably wise..

so a lot will depend on how you vape, what types of coils you use etc.

Lewbuh

Sep 30, 2019
For me it depends what juice I’m using, if im using my go to custard I can keep the coils in that rda for months at a time and only have to change cotton once or twice a month - but I do cycle my cotton.

On more sugary vapes I’ll change my cotton much more and I find I get a crusty black residue I can’t get off anymore.

Hope I could provide some insight but it think it’s all down to your own personal vaping habits :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread