When to check coil for hotspots

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I was wondering how often and when exactly to check my coils for hotpots. Obviously I eliminate hotpots immediately when installing a new coil. But some time goes by it is time to rewick. When remove the cotton I was thinking that I should dry burn for hotspots because I'm not sure if the tightness of the removed wick could have created one. Do others check for a hotspot after every wick change?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Yeah I mean, I dry-burn to clean the coils anyway when I rewick, so why not watch for hot spots while I'm doing it anyway? And like you said, removing the wick might possibly deform the coil a little, so there's potential for something to develop, why not give it a quick look-see. Since you're already there.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have never seen a Hotspot after the first wick...usually by the time your on your second rewick, the coil is oxidized and won't have any hotspots again...unless there is a break in coil, or perhaps a lead is loose, you won't get one simply from the coil getting squeezed by the wicking process

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Well I tend to keep my wick clean and safely concealed. Not one to just pull it out and handle it.

Not in a car
Not in a bar
Not when it's dirty
Not when it's clean
My wick, I say, is always appropriate
There is no way I can get over it.
You'd have more fun if you got dirty now and again.;)

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Not sure what I walked into.
giphy (1).gif

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I think a lot of the expense is just in the startup months. Mods, tanks, batteries, chargers, juices are primarily bought at the start. If it becomes a hobby, you can enter the continual necessity binge shopping shiynitis that is all consuming. But if you are fortunate to not catch the disorder your ongoing vaping expenses go way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread