Status
Not open for further replies.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I've been struggling to wick correctly for the past couple of weeks.

Too little. Too much. A lot of foul language.
The coils are right. Glow evenly, pretty little glowing 99 when I dry fire. Then I wick and it goes straight to frustration town.

I've tried cotton bacon, native cotton, hell a cotton ball at one point.

I ordered some Japanese cotton pads and they came today. Cut a pad, peeled top and bottom layer, rolled oh so gently and threaded it through the coil.

Dripped liguid, and just damn did it look good.

Then I took that first drag, then another, so smooth. I haven't been vaping I've been fighting my wicks. Now, it's finally right and I've got a goofy grin that my wife doesn't understand.

Just...about time. Glad I stuck with it.

Sorry, had to let it out...

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Glad you finally got it working. Now you can relax and enjoy.

alice-in-wonderland-caterpillar-smoking.gif

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
I've been combing, not combing, you name it.

Combed this time. I believe for me it's the pads. Cutting the right amount seems much easier for me than pulling from a "string" , if you will.

Learn an economics lesson with this stuff as well. Bought it labeled as "beauty pads". Same package as what was advertised for vaping but $3 cheaper. Much cheaper than Cotton Bacon and Native.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
When you said native cotton were you referring to this stuff?

NATIV2-2.jpg

I bought a bag of it from My Vapor Store for $8 because I wasn't happy with what I had. Holy crap, what a difference it made. It's kind of a pain in the .... to work with because it's ridiculously fluffy and it comes in the bag as kind of a long rope of cotton. So you have to be careful to only cut off what you need and it feels like the stuff just fluffs out every time you touch it. I really had to work it into my coils. But once I did the difference was amazing. Totally worth the frustration of having to work it in there for me.

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Yeah that's the stuff. Paid $8 for it as well.

You aren't kidding, it's like it has a mind of its own. I struggled with it.

Ended up getting 180 pads for $6 from Amazon. Unbleached and so easy to work.

I guess I can visualize what I need better with the pad. I've been chain vaping since I've rewicked. I liked my Dead Rabbit before...love it now.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

Wow you got an even better deal than I did. Prices have come down I guess since I bought Jan of last year. That stuff will last you forever. I get about 4 wicks per pad (I cut it across the shortest side since I don't need super long wicks) so even if you rewicked once per week, that package of 180 would last you 15 years....for $6 that ain't bad at all.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Yeah that's the stuff. Paid $8 for it as well.

You aren't kidding, it's like it has a mind of its own. I struggled with it.

I guess I can visualize what I need better with the pad. I've been chain vaping since I've rewicked. I liked my Dead Rabbit before...love it now.

Heh. I know what you mean. I think I cut off like three times as much as I needed the first time I tried it. That stuff just does not want to be compacted at all. I ended up twisting it in my fingers and snipping off any loose fibers on one end, then twisting it again and poking it most of the way through my coil. Then I had to go in through the coil on the other side with the elbow tweezers while I slowly twisted the end that was sticking out. I rolled it through my coil while gently pulling on the tweezers until I had it all the way through. Then I had to trim it some more because the damn thing fluffed up again. Once I got it in there though...holy crap. Wicks so good. Better than anything else I have. Coilmaster included some cotton with the DIY kit I bought that's much easier to work with, but the flavor and cloud quality are nothing compared to this stuff.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I did grab a container of Ninja Wick. I ended up with store credit at Mister E Liquid (they started a new program and I got credit for everything I bought from them) and I liked the little tin that it came in. Nothing special about the cotton at all. It's easy enough to work with but it's kind of "meh." The little tin is pretty cool though and I got it for free.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I have cotton balls, Japanese pads (Koh Gen Do and such), cotton bacon. Cotton bacon is my least favorite cotton (uneven density). Do not really see much difference in performance between balls and pads. One day I think pads are more convenient, and use them. Then it is balls that I like more...
Do not see any benefits of special "wicking" cotton, like cotton bacon.

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
I have cotton balls, Japanese pads (Koh Gen Do and such), cotton bacon. Cotton bacon is my least favorite cotton (uneven density). Do not really see much difference in performance between balls and pads. One day I think pads are more convenient, and use them. Then it is balls that I like more...
Do not see any benefits of special "wicking" cotton, like cotton bacon.
Agreed.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I like the Koh Gen Do because I can eyeball the correct width when I cut it with scissors and it almost always comes out right. Much easier for me than trying to pick off of a rolled out cotton ball or whatever. My cotton bacon was one of my worst vape buys. Fortunately it was only $5 or so.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OMG I clicked the link and looked at the comments. One person wrote: "The cotton was great for wicking rdas. It stayed consistent all the way through the bag."

So then I checked the product history and saw that the product had only been sold on Amazon for 14.5 months at the time the review was posted in January. HOW do you use 180 pads in 14 months or less? That is some serious rewicking he must me doing.

Puff...Puff, ok time to rewick.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
OMG I clicked the link and looked at the comments. One person wrote: "The cotton was great for wicking rdas. It stayed consistent all the way through the bag."

So then I checked the product history and saw that the product had only been sold on Amazon for 14.5 months at the time the review was posted in January. HOW do you use 180 pads in 14 months or less? That is some serious rewicking he must me doing.

Maybe he dug through the bag and messed with the stuff on the bottom. Or maybe it was a fake review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread