Status
Not open for further replies.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
In a few days I'll reach my 3 month anniversary of vaping. :toast: It's been an interesting journey. Didn't start with the intention of completely giving up smoking but that's exactly what happened on the first day. I'd been a 30+ yr smoker of 2 pks a day. Started with a Joye 510 kit and I'm still using all the original parts. Added some 510 mega batteries(280 mah) and still using those too. Next came a 510 direct PT (5VT)which I consider one of the best additions to my stash. Of coarse I next had to add a Ego kit. I also purchased a 3.7 VT box Mod and am now awaiting the arrival of my Roughstack Mod. So far in three months I haven't lost an atty or battery yet. I did have to have one of my original Ego batteries replaced as one arrived DOA but that was very quickly taken care of by the vendor. I use cartridges most often, but do use cartomizers when driving and out for the day when filling carts isn't convenient. I prefer the Joye 510 cartomizers when I do use cartos. I've tried 52 different flavored juices from 7 different vendors and now consider VaporBomb, FSUSA, and BWB my juice vendors each having 2 or 3 juices that I prefer from each. I'm just beginning to start some DIY and have my first attempt at DIY steeping as I write this. I started vaping using 20mg nic and now most often use 6-8mg with only occasionally needing 12 mg.

There is no way I could have predicted where I would be today with vaping three months ago. I find it hard to beleive its been this long already, but I look forward to seeing where I'm at 3 months from now when I reach my 6 month anniversary.

So, where are YOU on your vaping journey???

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
I'm a few hours into vaping lol. With all the constant controversy about which juice ingredients are safe or dangerous, I'm starting to wish I had just quit cold turkey like I have before, instead of deciding to mess with this.

As concerned as we are about what the heck is in this stuff - take a deep breath, consider the idea of reduced-harm, and how you can reduce the harm even further for yourself. And then if/when you decide to give up vaping (if that's what you end up doing) - just keep a working PV around somewhere, so if temptation strikes, you're set to "indulge" w/out going back to analogs again.

BTW, congrats!

enree

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2010
Malaysia
Congrats enree on almost making it to your one year anniverary. Any words of wisdom for us still new to vaping?

While vaping, think it as an alternative, not an e-cig definitely. Think of your loved ones, your family and friends who are always complaining about the bloody smoke. And think "its time to quit".

Its not about youself. It is always about those very close to you. That thinking urged me to go for vaping.

Edit: And I am very happy it is here.

Last edited:

Mathew R Taylor

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Grandmato - Sweet and not too far behind you, congratulations - Definitely enjoying the journey as much as you are!!

As for advice for them new bucks ;):

- C E L E B R A T E and proudly embrace it!
- The first two days were the weirdest for me as I was using it far too much (shiny new toy syndrome), and had to find the balance to absolutely kill any urges to go to an analog, versus getting sick from "ODing" on nicotine. Everyone is different, so what works for me, may not work for you, and vice versa.
- Read the heck outta this site and talk with your extended family here about your challenges and successes I have learned and will continue to learn a great deal from my ECF brethren who have been on the same journey as we all are embarking on.
- Beyond the savings to your "bottom line", think of the future savings in money spent on healthcare related issues. Socialized or privatized it all costs somebody something, and every day you step forward analog free you're increasing that future savings.
- Remember that beyond the physical addiction to smoking that we all have/had, there is hard wired psychological aspect as well that you've created. Your morning cig, or on your way to work, or just out of the shower, or whatever the trigger is. - I just vaped exactly like I smoked (time wise, and other triggers) then slowly have changed patterns and it has worked for me.
- Last although for some there was no relapse to smoke an analog, don't be too hard on yourself (or others) if it does happen. Think about why, and see what you can do to mitigate it. Perhaps my best advice, as I could have saved a few nights on the couch for judging my wife for relapsing ;)

Congrats Grandmato, and welcome blackmetalbuick to the rest of your life ;)

Mathew

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
a bit over 100 days in and narrowing in on my ideal equipment.

i found my go-to juice supplier and now i'm experimenting with an 808 and cartomizers. i'm enjoying the ease of use and not having to worry about having enough attys/carts. cartos seem to be giving me a nice balance of both flavor and th.

it's definitely been both a journey and the discovery of a new hobby.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Well grand, I started on February 4th of this year determined to quit a 40 year tobacco habit of 1+ packs a day. I quit the day I got my first crappy PV. Here's a run down of my trek through the world of vaping.
Got my "Health-e-Cigarette kit (M-401 clone) on 2/4/10. Threw my remaining smokes into my workshop's wood stove and proceeded to vape through half of my supposed months worth of carts in one day.
Joined ECF the next day knowing that I wouldn't make it through the weekend with my remaining carts and seeking advise and help. I met some really cool and helpful people. One steered me to Katy at Thesmokelessshop who was only an hour and a half away from me. She agreed to meet me at a pub near her and sold me my first 901 kit. (love ya Katy)
A few weeks later I saw a you tube video by Phee where he was mixing juice. It looked really easy so I decided to try it. I've been mixing ever since.
A few weeks after that I decided that stock 901 batteries were too much trouble for me to keep charged. I had 4 batts rotating through 2 chargers constantly so I ordered a 905 mod from NHalers for WAY more money than it was worth. It turned out to be a total P.O.S.! That's when I saw a tutorial on how to build a box mod in the modders forum. I went out to Radio Shack and got the parts and made my first box mod in less than an hour for under $7.00. That thing still works great.
Since then I have made a few box mods for friends and several copper tube mods.
I am a woodworker and make furniture so I started using wood veneer to dress up my mods. I also made a totally wooden juice feeder mod with inlays on the side. I'm working on a 5 volt version now.
I've also bought a few decent mods (and one that sucks) since then. The first was a big Chuck that I covered with a marquetry veneer. That one cought the attention of Jay at Great Lakes Vapor and he asked me to do a GLV for him. I did and he gave me a 5 volt GLV 2 for it. Love that thing!
Somewhere in there I bought a wetbox that I used for almost a week before it leaked juice into the switch and died.
I like the higher voltage devices and like to experiment with different atty and cartomizers (mostly cartos) so just last week I got a Buzz variable voltage mod. This thing is SWEET! You can fine tune the voltage on this puppy to get the most out of any atty or cart. Adjusting the voltage also effects the flavor of the juice.
Over the last nearly ten months I've shown just about every smoker I've come across my PVs and have converted a number of them. Many of those converts have converted others. When I think about how many people have given up tobacco as a direct or indirect result of my actions I can't help but smile. I just got an e-mail yesterday from an old friend that I got a 901/808 Riva kit for who wanted to thank me. He said he hadn't smoked for 16 days and now his wife was using his PV too. I really love the feeling I get when that happens :) .

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Mine has been an up and down struggle. I started vaping about middle of August this year. I switched back and forth between vaping and analogs for a couple of weeks and then went strictly to vaping. That lasted about a month then I started having some battery issues. I started chipping analogs here and there and ended up smoking about half a pack a day again. Now that I have my battery issues sorted out and my 5V mod, I've been analog free for two days and plan to stay that way this time.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I started the middle of July. My first was a disposable being sold at Fuel-On. It felt weird, but then I tried to hold it like an analog. Then due to the information provided by a fellow employee, I bought my first 510 kit including a PCC. I was hooked. However I went on a weekend vacation which included a long drive and was only two weeks into vaping and I did go through a pack of analogs. Twomore weeks after that, I found half a pack in my saddlebag. I lit one up and I thought the taste was disgusting. A thought went through my mind, "Why did I ever start in the first place". I have since bought a variety of juices and mods. I can't understand why everyone doesn't just give up analogs. Vaping is much tastier. A friend who I told about vaping asked if I was trying to quit. Well I think I get more nicotine now than when I was using analogs. I don't think I will ever stop vaping. I am even looking for a solar battery charger in case we are without power, or we dicide to do a week long caming trail ride. It is interesting, but the throat hit is not as important to me now as when I first started.

me? well... vaping has been a far less stressful way to quit smoking for me. i wanted to quit when my joye ego kit arrived and have not smoked since. i smoked for six years.

on the go i usually use a 510 cartomizer and work with ego cartomizers, too
at home i usually use a LR 510 atty and drip tip
(yesterday i removed the wick of one atty; pretty easy) may try removing the bridge sometime
also loving freedomsmokeusa juice and want to try more

i'm at the point where i want to share it with all of my friends! :vapor:

samsmom

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2010
North Carolina
I was a Kiosk Mall "sucker" back in September of this year. I had a 2+ PAD habit for 30 years. At least the kiosk brand got me started! I quickly found ECF and read and read and read and watched video after video and soaked my brain with all kinds of new knowledge!!

I quickly ordered a manual Joye510 and loved it, but the batteries didn't last long. I went a whole week without an analog but the 510 wasn't cutting it and I got a little depressed. I went and bought a pack of smokes and I continue to smoke 4-5 analogs per day in addition to my vaping. I no longer beat myself up about it because I know it is much better than 2+ PAD habit that I used to have.

I moved on to an EGO and a RIVA, then got a KR808D-1 and that is my current vape of choice with V4L cartomizers that I purchase filled and then refill myself.
I have an Elegant Easy on the way to use with my V4L cartos - I just can't quit spending on this hobby! LOL

I have tons of juice and DIY stuff too!

I am not very happy with my DIY but I have several bottles steeping that may come to my liking with time!

I tried carts and dripping but don't like either - too much fuss and only a few good draws before needing a refill!

I love vaping and am addicted to it as well as this forum!

I am enjoying reading all the posts on this thread! Great idea and HAPPY VAPING! :)

adeline

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Cary, NC
I had to look up my usps delivery tracking to pin-point my vaping bday. November 1st -- just one month. Man it seems so much longer than that. I was officially quit with my Blu, now I only use my Joye 510. I've found my sweet spot. I tried to quit in September, and succeeded... for about 3 weeks. Gum + lozenges and I failed pretty miserably. Kept smoking until I found the joy of vaping. I thought I was quitting for myself (which I kind of was..) but really my boyfriend is allergic to smoke and I knew we would both be a lot happier if I quit. When I failed the last time, he actually recommended the e-cig and when he did, I realized he might be okay with that method. Within 2 days I was giving it a shot.

It hasn't been the easiest thing in the world... but having said that, it was the easiest way to quit smoking that I have ever experienced. By 9,726,239,286 miles. Much more satisfying than any other NRT. I really love trying new flavors and experimenting with different cartos and PG/VG mixtures. I feel like a veteran vaper already, and try to get other smokers to consider it (the ones that are interested anyway).

I've had zero negative side-effects, and I calculated that I've spent about as much money as I would smoking analogs. But I don't NEED to buy anything else. That being said, I'll probably take advantage of the holiday sales and stock up a bit on lower nicotine e-juices (already working my way down from 18mg to 12mg).

I am completely thrilled that I started this journey and wouldn't trade it for anything. And I love hearing the "good jobs" and "congrats" and other well wishes. It feels fantastic!!!

evnan111

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2010
Florida
In a few days I'll reach my 3 month anniversary of vaping. :toast: It's been an interesting journey. Didn't start with the intention of completely giving up smoking but that's exactly what happened on the first day. I'd been a 30+ yr smoker of 2 pks a day. Started with a Joye 510 kit and I'm still using all the original parts. Added some 510 mega batteries(280 mah) and still using those too. Next came a 510 direct PT (5VT)which I consider one of the best additions to my stash. Of coarse I next had to add a Ego kit. I also purchased a 3.7 VT box Mod and am now awaiting the arrival of my Roughstack Mod. So far in three months I haven't lost an atty or battery yet. I did have to have one of my original Ego batteries replaced as one arrived DOA but that was very quickly taken care of by the vendor. I use cartridges most often, but do use cartomizers when driving and out for the day when filling carts isn't convenient. I prefer the Joye 510 cartomizers when I do use cartos. I've tried 52 different flavored juices from 7 different vendors and now consider VaporBomb, FSUSA, and BWB my juice vendors each having 2 or 3 juices that I prefer from each. I'm just beginning to start some DIY and have my first attempt at DIY steeping as I write this. I started vaping using 20mg nic and now most often use 6-8mg with only occasionally needing 12 mg.

There is no way I could have predicted where I would be today with vaping three months ago. I find it hard to beleive its been this long already, but I look forward to seeing where I'm at 3 months from now when I reach my 6 month anniversary.

So, where are YOU on your vaping journey???

Bought the Tornado Kit on Oct. 7. Quit a 35 year analog habit that day. Loved smoking. Could tell a big difference in my breathing that was starting with cigarettes.. Knew my smoking days were over.

Bought from many vendors. Backwoods Brew and Freedomsmokesusa for lliquids. -And Totally Wicked for all my hardware.

On Nov. 5 QUIT NICOTINE in my liquids.. No more monkey on my back. Can now vape for enjoyment, -feeling of smoking and the throat hit turns out to be plenty good enough.

Later maybe put it up, and vape for recreation. Take or leave. Only 25 days though so I'm just vaping my brains out and that's okay. It's all good. Love BWB RY4 and my diy flavors.

MY LUNGS feel so good. Feel like I'm 20 again. ENERGY bigtime after two days of quitting analogs. No more cabon monoxide. No more coughing in the a.m. - A very big change for the good.

See my other posts for tips on quitting nicotine. Easy way. It works.

Taking a big breath. Nice... No cravings. No smell. -Cappuccino anyone?

hook425

Jan 17, 2010
Canada
Bought e-cigs about 8 months ago and never really got into it. Lately I knew I had to quit with the incresing cough and morning phlegm. I was a pack+ a day for 30 years.

15 days ago I decided to quit with patches one more time. The cravings were too hard, so when the cravings really hit me, I pulled out my 8 month old e-cigs kit and loaded it up. Now, I am vaping and haven't touched a analog in 2+ weeks (even with a couple parties in there too !). No more coughing, no more phlegm and feel so much better with more energy.

I plan to decrease from 24 to zero nic in the next few months.. or not... but I know I'll be better off vaping than smoking.

It is still hard once in a while not to smoke the real thing, but the vaping makes it go away and satisfies the cravings. So no desiires to ever buy an annallog again.

Cheeers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread